New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
I am an avid fisherman from Nova Scotia. I recently caught my largest fish being a striped bass measuring in about 37 inches. I have caught quite a few nice sized bass but I am looking for the fish of a lifetime without paying through the nose for an expensive charter. I want to catch a sturgeon close to home. I cant find any info about where, when, or how to catch them, or anything about regulations. I am 17. My brother, friend and I want to make a weekend trip out sometime for the fish of a lifetime but need a little guidance into sturgeon fishing. Somebody help me out, fire me an email at [email protected] or txt 19023058005 or call 19028951260 and tell me anything you know that may help and let me know if your interested in "chartering" 3 young bucks for a weekend who just love to catch fish. You scratch my back, Ill scratch yours. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not the sturgeon expert, but the go-to place in New Brunswick is just east of Saint John, where the Hammond River dumps into the Kennebecasis River. That area is called Sturgeon Alley. Fall seems to be the best time (Octoberish).

·
Registered
186 Posts
The shortnose sturgeon seem to stay in the river all year long, and are commonly cought in sturgeon alley as BobD explains and are in the 1'-4' range. The sturgeon of a lifetime would be a big Atlantic sturgeon (east coast). These fellas get massive, and are found in many rivers in NB including the Saint John river system. If you catch an Atlantic sturgeon in the river system, then it's either a baby, or an adult as they spend most of their lives at sea. I don't personally know anyone who has caught one, but if you hook into a moving snag, then it could be a 500+ lb Atlantic! When I was a kid growing up on the water in Grand Bay, I used to see them jump from time to time. It looks like a big log coming straight out of the water, and slamming down with a massive splash.

Saying all that, I can provide little to no guidance on where or when to catch an Atlantic sturgeon.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! however right now the fish of a lifetime is a 37 inch bass so a 4 foot long sturgeon would be just fine by me! Do you do much sturgeon fishing linesider? What does the fishing look like through out the spring and summer months?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would say the best time of year to catch a sturgeon would be in the late summer/fall. Although there are sturgeon in the river year round, this time of year they are still migrating. There is a lot that could be said about the specifics of the migration but short story, the fish are moving throughout the Saint John river system during the summer and as fall rolls around they start moving to the overwintering sites. One of these sites happens to be where the Hammond river dumps into the Kennebecasis. There are estimated to be about 5000 fish sitting in an are 1/3 the size of a football field. That's why I suggest the fall

As for bait, just put a big gob of worm on and let it sit on the bottom. Patience is a virtue and from my experience it's better to stay put rather than moving every 20 minutes because you're not catching fish. Sturgeon just kind of cruise along the bottom sifting the mud and consuming whatever edible material happens to enter their mouth-holes haha

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.I am a new member and came across your post......I used to work with sturgeon here in saint john at the old s.j hatchery.....the atlantic sturgeon mostly go up the sj river in late june/early july to spawn.........we got our spawners from gill fishermen around this time......a good place for you to try is at the evendale ferry landing......there is a hotel/bnb right there......the best way is to get some river dept maps of the area and look for the deeper spots to fish.......but being spawning season ,they are also on the move and the river narrows down quite a bit right at the ferry crossing......as for bait......the best is a big ball of worms on the bottom.......the trick is to thread the first worm right up covering all the metal of the hook.......they can sense the hook very easily and covering it with worm helps......if you do get lucky and hook one....when you get it beside the boat, roll it over and will calm them down almost instantly........best way to hold it ti put one hand it there mouth and the other on one of the pec fins....dont worry about there mouth....i have had my hand in a 185 pound females mouth ..hope this helps.........

·
Registered
492 Posts
wandering fisherman... nice tips there. A couple of us have been trying to catch one up in Fredericton from kayaks. the advice about rolling it over is extremely useful! thanks for sharing tour knowledge.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes great info, so far the sturgeon have been outsmarting us up here in the Freddy region. I know they are here because I see them jump from time to time in my target areas. Any info u are willing to give is greatly appreciated. We will be checking your Evendale hotspot out as soon as the season opens in July. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts