New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started fishing this lake last year for Speckles, wasn't really sure what else was in it as I am new to the area. Soon realized that everyone else was trolling the middle of the lake for Brown trout. Tried all year to do the same with no luck. Was out yesterday and got my first Brown, 19 incher on a orange Rapala. Just wondering if anyone who fishes this lake has any tips on what to use, do I NEED to use a down rigger, Should I continue using my Rapalas or is there something that works better. Also wondering what is a good size? I have heard of some big Browns that have been landed just wondering how big they get!
Thanks

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Started fishing this lake last year for Speckles, wasn't really sure what else was in it as I am new to the area. Soon realized that everyone else was trolling the middle of the lake for Brown trout. Tried all year to do the same with no luck. Was out yesterday and got my first Brown, 19 incher on a orange Rapala. Just wondering if anyone who fishes this lake has any tips on what to use, do I NEED to use a down rigger, Should I continue using my Rapalas or is there something that works better. Also wondering what is a good size? I have heard of some big Browns that have been landed just wondering how big they get!
Thanks
You're doing better then me, as I have YET to catch anything out of that lake. However, I hear the "Wonderbread" lure works well there (Doiron Sports Excellence carries them). Are you the guy I saw getting out of his canoe as I was getting in (in a kayak)? That fella also mentionned he caught a trout on an orange Rapala. I'll have to try with a Rapala next time. Where did you get your brown? In the middle, or along the shore between the two points?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, that wasn't me. I have a 14 foot Black Aluminum. I got it just past teh 2nd point, wasn't much of a fight, is this normal?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Browns usually fight quite hard but like to head for bottom and structure....famous for getting almost to the shore or boat then zig zag right to left or vise versa...head for a log, etc...it is unusual for them not to fight much...I love catching them..and releasing them. What kind of rod were you using? heavy, medium, light ?...was it quite rough water? Also, if it was caught quite deep and brought up fast...that can take the fight out of them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
medium rod, the wind was just starting to drop and it was caught in about 30 feet of water, felt like it swam right to me!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've had quite a bit of luck fishing from shore off the point at Florida beach.....sit on bottom with a big ole gob of night crawler

·
Registered
252 Posts
[quote name='Stroover' date='12 May 2011 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='' post='6725']
Where's that?
It's just before the bridge....there is a dirt road where u will see parked cars...just take the foot path to the beach and walk out to the point

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Where's that?
It's just before the bridge....there is a dirt road where u will see parked cars...just take the foot path to the beach and walk out to the point
Oh, is THAT what it's called? I paddle by there often and see folks fishing on that bank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i was out to florida beach on wed night, stayed for a few hours, with no luck
had a good hook up but lost it real quick then nothing after that . oh well next time

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you tried blow worm??? hook at the bottom and 1/4 split shot about 12 to 16in up depending on where you are.. Little flordia very point back 10 yards should be a sand bar there is a hole out about 40 feet or so,, about 8:30 on the dime if your getting perch out 10 feet more.. I have caught fish everytime i have gone out in the past 4 years... Fished with bell sinker and gob of worms for like 10 years never caught a fish.. TRY IT IT WORKS... BIG NIGHT CRAWERS HOOKED IN THE COALAR AND USE A SMALL NEEDLE LIKE A DIABETIC ONE TO BLOW THEM UP AND CAST LIGHTLY.. Have caught numbers and big fish... timing is everything..
8:30 or later.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks for the tips. i was indeed keeping my line tight. and i know the hole you are talking bout s blair and yes we use to inflate our worms over in pei

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cool thanks......the fish like this do they??
Ya your line in not as tight as with a bell sinker.. I used about 3 to four split shot. you dont have to get out that far they come it to feed.. By blowing the worm up it sits on top for the grass and wiggles around.. knowing how high to put your worm is the hard part... you could drag a bit of the bottom where you fish and measure the longest weed and start there.. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a similar method..only i put on a small line weight (the line pulls through it) then a swivel then about 18 to 24 inches of line after the swivel to the bait holder hook..thread the biggest crawler i can find up the hook right onto the line...blow it up and cast out. Leave some slack and when the fish takes it, the line gets pulled through the line weight..the fish feel no resistance at all..just like is was natural. Also, if you put the weight on the bottom it pulls the hook through the structure weeds etc..as it sinks first.If the weight is at least 18 inches up the line...it hits bottom first and the hook settles on top of the structure or weeds. Just my opinion but it works for me. I have stood 10 feet away from someone using a big weight on the end and i've caught fish when they didn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts