New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've been trying to find some info on Loch Alva. Its a nice sized lake by Prince of Wales area. I've heard many different things from many different people. I know the area is a wilderness park, but I've heard its got the best lake trout fishing around here, but from other people i've heard its completely inaccessible to get a canoe or boat in.
so anyone have the real scoop?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
According to the New Brunswick Backroad Mapbook (first edition), it says:
"Loch Alva is a large, boomerang-shaped lake that can be found west of Saint John. The stocked landlocked Atlantic salmon have most of the waterbody to themselves, although lake trout and brook trout are also present here, Two dams can be found at the end of the lake's two southern fingers and are serviced via rough bush roads."

I've heard that the only road leading to it is all private and you need to know somebody who has a camp there to access it, which is to the north. Otherwise, you can bush-whack your way via the "rough bush roads" leading up to the dams, I suppose.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the New Brunswick Backroad Mapbook (first edition), it says:
"Loch Alva is a large, boomerang-shaped lake that can be found west of Saint John. The stocked landlocked Atlantic salmon have most of the waterbody to themselves, although lake trout and brook trout are also present here, Two dams can be found at the end of the lake's two southern fingers and are serviced via rough bush roads."

I've heard that the only road leading to it is all private and you need to know somebody who has a camp there to access it, which is to the north. Otherwise, you can bush-whack your way via the "rough bush roads" leading up to the dams, I suppose.
Thanks for the info Stroover. I've heard this place is like the holy Grail if you can get there.
You don't happen to have a camp there do you. :s

·
Registered
186 Posts
I once heard you could 'boat/canoe' in there somehow but not sure exactly where or how.
I believe its a '4-stroke only' lake.

And.......I heard if you can get there.....GO!!!!!

Good luck!

·
2,366 Posts
No, I don't have a camp there, nor do I know anyone who does.
Via Google Earth, in Prince of Whales you could take the "Acamac Backlands Rd" and follow it (about 11 Km) to the dam. However, it doesn't appear to be a very user-friendly road, if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
298 Posts
stocked fish are supposed to be public accessed. so if that lake was stocked with your $5. you have every right to fish it as long as it was stocked through the restocking process.I'd check the dnr site see if it was stocked by them and if it was then there is access. If it wasn't you might wanna check the registry of deeds and see if you know someone that owns property to gain access

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stocked fish are supposed to be public accessed. so if that lake was stocked with your $5. you have every right to fish it as long as it was stocked through the restocking process.I'd check the dnr site see if it was stocked by them and if it was then there is access. If it wasn't you might wanna check the registry of deeds and see if you know someone that owns property to gain access
So I searched the dnr website and the only mention of it was I'n the blurb about lake trout.
http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/LakeTrout-e.pdf

It's not I'n the guide and it's not In the restricted waters list.
I'm assuming if u can get In it's go time! Now I just need someone to chopper me in.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are two gates. The first yellow gate may be open and apparently it is vehicle friendly, however, after the next gate, I'm not so sure and I hear it is more for all terrain vehicles. I believe you can go from the east branch to some rapids/falls and then portage a ways and get to loch alva. Also, there is apparently a road leading to the top end of the lake that is accessible as Stroover said, from the Acamac Backland road... or further north of there. I know someone who has a camp there and can't even talk them in to lending me the key to the gate! I think they require some sort of bribe!
Rumor has it, there is another lake close by that only has one camp on it that is full of big lakers... but only a rumor as far as I know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are two gates. The first yellow gate may be open and apparently it is vehicle friendly, however, after the next gate, I'm not so sure and I hear it is more for all terrain vehicles. I believe you can go from the east branch to some rapids/falls and then portage a ways and get to loch alva. Also, there is apparently a road leading to the top end of the lake that is accessible as Stroover said, from the Acamac Backland road... or further north of there. I know someone who has a camp there and can't even talk them in to lending me the key to the gate! I think they require some sort of bribe!
Rumor has it, there is another lake close by that only has one camp on it that is full of big lakers... but only a rumor as far as I know.
I thank you for the info. I heard from someone else u need Key to get in on the main road.
Crazyness!
You talk to your friend and find out the price of the bribe, then let me know ha

·
2,366 Posts
How can you find out if Loch Alva is stocked or not? Is there a website that lists all the stocked lakes?

·
2,366 Posts
It seems that if they stock a body of water we should have access to it????????
That's what I was thinking. I wonder how they get the truck with the stocking fish there? That would be the best route, I would immagine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They go in threw the yellow gate at the top of the grand bay hiway the they turn off that road onto the loch Alva dam road which there is another gate on in about 2 mile in and then it is another 2 mile to the dam...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They go in threw the yellow gate at the top of the grand bay hiway the they turn off that road onto the loch Alva dam road which there is another gate on in about 2 mile in and then it is another 2 mile to the dam...
These gates need keys I presume?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes you must be a camp owner, to get keys.. And the going to start inforcing 10hp 4 stroke in Musquash and loch alva.. I would go on loch alva with a 10hp, It can get really bad on the body of water, You want a good boat and motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes you must be a camp owner, to get keys.. And the going to start inforcing 10hp 4 stroke in Musquash and loch alva.. I would go on loch alva with a 10hp, It can get really bad on the body of water, You want a good boat and motor.
So..that means DNR is stocking a lake that we pay for that we do not have access to. It is basicly for the camp owners who may or may not purchase a lic....What is wrong with this picture......

1 - 20 of 53 Posts