New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My dad and i and a frind plan on fly fishing the little southwest miramichi river. we are kinda new at it, me and my dad went to a lodge 3 years ago i caught 3, a grilse, 12 pound and 20 pound salmon. i'm not to sure of the regulations regarding catch and release. i know some parts of the miramichi are just catch and release. we plan to fish dennis pool and some other spots. Could someone fill me in on the regulations like catch and release etc..

thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Denis pool is below Catamaran brook I believe and you are OK if you want to keep a grilse.

Only from Catamaran brook and up is catch and release.

·
Registered
124 Posts
temperatures were on the rise up to yesterday but the last few days have been cooler and water temps are in the sixties. Lots of fish in the river. Every river and in most pools. Water levels are getting a bit lower then what they were a week or so ago but should be ideal for fish holding in the pools now. The fish were moving through pretty steady last week but now are holding up for a bit of a rest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
temperatures were on the rise up to yesterday but the last few days have been cooler and water temps are in the sixties. Lots of fish in the river. Every river and in most pools. Water levels are getting a bit lower then what they were a week or so ago but should be ideal for fish holding in the pools now. The fish were moving through pretty steady last week but now are holding up for a bit of a rest.
thanks so much this info is very useful. My dad and I and a friend plan to go this Sunday the 17th you think it will be good, we plan to fish DENNIS POOL. What flies would you use, probably like green machines, butterflies any other good pattern to use their?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hot weaher for Saturday and sunday but the water should be good since it's cooler the last few nights. Air temps are going down to around 10 dgrees celsius tonight. More rain coming on Monday night and Tuesday and by mid week the hot weather should have passed by.

Mornings and evenings are your best bet on Sunday and Monday.

I would say flies in the #8 and #6 would be good in all typical miramichi patterns as you mentioned. The white tail green machine with double butt (red and green) is working well this year. If you get over to the main Southwest Miramichi then #4 or #2 would work fine as the water has come up the last day or so. Came up over a foot. Has been above ideal fishing level in the lower ends all summer so far. The upper stretches are fishing well in the high water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts