New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

Wondering what these rivers are like this time of year? Anything in them for fish?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've never tried Little Salmon, but we fished Big Salmon at Hearst Lodge and were getting rainbows around 22 inches.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Thanks Jim. Going to go check this out and give it a shot this week sometime! I will post my results too!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
don`t try little salmon without planning and some research. the canyons and cliffs can make it a lot of work. it`s certainly not for everybody. some friends caugh a few brookies in big salmon yesterday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Neighbour used to catch alot of salmon in Big Salmon years ago. Was a great salmon river at one time. Would like to know if there are any place to put a trailer up along the river anywhere to spend a weekend?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it would have to be in the upper section, the lower section is all park now and they don`t allow over nighting there (and close way before the fishing gets good). try coming in from the Sussex side, or swing north from St. Maertins. keep in mind, salmon fishing is closed there, but there are rainbows and brookies, maybe even a rare artic char. it becomes fly fishing only june 15

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
A couple of friends of mine want to hike out to Little Salmon this weekend and camp (they're hard core) and were wondering about what the fishing for trout is like then over there. I figure it's too early in the year (don't they usually start catching rainbows there only around 3rd week in May?). I thought I'd pick you guys' brain on here first, then maybe join them if it sounds feasible.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
We fished it a couple of years ago the second weekend of the season, landed a 22-23 inch salmon and a 22 inch rainbow, right in front of Hearst Lodge. We went in from Adairs using 4 wheelers. It's a long run but lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you guys must be talking big salmon, where the lodge park like thing is. I've never caught rainbows in little salmon but they could easily be there, especially by the mouth.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So can you drive to the interpretation centre and hike from there to the lodge or ? im very interested to head out here and get a line wet as we might be camping in st martins ... and also is it a rough hike as we might have a lot of stuff to bring

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's been a few years since I've hiked that river, but it wan't easy back then. suggest you pack light or at least pack what you can in a back pack. You will need your hands to hike through some spots.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You can drive beyond the interpretation centre nowadays and park closer to the lodge but I believe it's still a walk to the lodge after that. You might be able to drive straight to the lodge nowadays, I'm not sure because that place is changing all the time. Give 'em a call!

I know that they host events at the lodge and during these events they offer to drive people to it. Ask about that too maybe.

But yeah, your "real" hiking begins after you go beyond the lodge. You will begrudge every extra pound of gear that you attempt to carry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never fished this river before and wondering what it is like in July? Still good down around Hearst lodge or better off further upstream?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts