New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
rats! my system won't let me see it. is this where they have been using a slurry of water and limestone to try to balance the ph change due to acid rain? they have been trying this a lot in n.s. on the smaller trout lakes and streams for the last 20 years or so, with oddly mixed results. the lime draws the heavy metals from the rock and into the water. small scale i guess that's still not a problem, large scale they had to close some areas for a few years to let it settle. it's a great idea if they can beat the metal leaching problem. the study on this was used for years to show that the acid rain was or wasn't coming from new england, and like most raw data, could be used to show either. this is the fisrt i have heard of them using it in salmon rivers. i have my fingers crossed that it works.

lime has also been used to kill lakes to remove an undesirable species, like pickeral. during winter they pile tons of it on the ice and theoreticly it all drops into the water at the same time, killing the lake. however, the ice doesn't melt evenly and those pesky pickeral were still occassionaly surviving, so last i heard they had given up on it for fish kills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts