New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what type of knots i should be using to extend my leader, right now i use a tapered leader that you pick up at fly shops, but i'd like to add a few feet to it sometimes.

which knot would be the strongest and less likely to break.

thanks

troy

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just wondering what type of knots i should be using to extend my leader, right now i use a tapered leader that you pick up at fly shops, but i'd like to add a few feet to it sometimes.

which knot would be the strongest and less likely to break.

thanks

troy
I use a double uni knot, very easy to tie and when finished, it is very small.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Someone posted a link to some youtube videos not that long ago that would show you how to tie both of these knots, I'd start there.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
The double surgeon knot is good, but I find the barrel knot makes a cleaner, more symetrical knot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The double surgeon knot is good, but I find the barrel knot makes a cleaner, more symetrical knot.
The Double Surgeons is a 100% tippet strength knot. The Barrel or Blood Knot is tested at 80%. Giving up 20% of an 8 pound tippet is a big amount to lose. But I do agree the barrel is a wee bit straighter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone use the "nail knot tool?" I use it for tying the leader to the fly line (4-5 wraps of leader around the fly line.

For leader to tippet, I use the same tool and do 3 wraps of leader around tippet, then reverse and do 3 wraps of tippet around leader, and then pull the two ends together. It gives you a sturdy knot like a blood knot, but is much easier to tie (especially as my eyes are getting weaker or if its dark).

So far, I have not lost a fish due to failure at that junction.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does anyone use the "nail knot tool?" I use it for tying the leader to the fly line (4-5 wraps of leader around the fly line.

For leader to tippet, I use the same tool and do 3 wraps of leader around tippet, then reverse and do 3 wraps of tippet around leader, and then pull the two ends together. It gives you a sturdy knot like a blood knot, but is much easier to tie (especially as my eyes are getting weaker or if its dark).

So far, I have not lost a fish due to failure at that junction.
I use and do the exact same thing

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
The Double Surgeons is a 100% tippet strength knot. The Barrel or Blood Knot is tested at 80%. Giving up 20% of an 8 pound tippet is a big amount to lose. But I do agree the barrel is a wee bit straighter.
True dat! I've lost a big one while trout fishing and with a trout fly: Upon inspecting what went wrong, I noticed the leader had not broken, but rather the barrel know had unwound. Never had that happen before. Not sure if it was a big sea-run trout or a grisle, as we caught both that day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts