New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, looks like i'll be making my last salmon trip of the season tomorrow.. heading up to try the north west at a spot a buddy of mine goes too.. they've been having good success the last week or so... after tomorrow bowhuntin deer and bear til the end of november..

·
Registered
26 Posts
atta boy chadman, you had a great season and was a pleasure listening to your tales!!! best of luck in hunting season, im doing a cast and blast saturday and then its straight out deer season!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I hope to get out Friday afternoon and Saturday for my last kick at it. Best of luck to you guys; I guess I'm a one sport man now so I won't be hunting, just tying flies for next year after the wood is in.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya was a great season for sure, my best ever for salmon fishing.. couple things I learned that made a difference 1 ) Duncan loop 2) LT. Special works all year on any river 3) bring big net just in case 4) 8 lb test leader is better than 6 lb when hooking into big fish! lol 5) Squirrel Falls is the diamond in the rough crown reserve, if I could have made a 3rd trip there this year I would have. 6) Green Machine red butt and white calf tail is dandy fly to use. Good luck this weekend and this deer season! I'll be looking for an update on the NB hunting site about your success!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good luck guys.

I'm heading out Friday and hopefully Saturday for my last days out. It sounds like Friday is gonna be WET.

Been fun chatting with you all this summer.

Cheers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great day for fishing... not a great day for hookin up or landing fish... all kinds of fish jumpin, rollin and 2 steppin around the pool and around my fly... not even one tug of the line... when I arrived at pool there was a guy there already.. he had been there for about an hour and a half... he only stayed 20 minutes once I arrived.. i fished the pool by myself til 6pm... so about 5.5 hrs of fishin.. tried wet flies, tried dry flies.. even tied on an osprey but even he couldn't get at the fish... oh well, that's it for this year.. still been a great season though!

oh ya.. failed to mention close encounter with a bear... it walked out right behind me (less than 20 yards) on the bank (tracks on the road) and I had only noticed it once it got about 50 yards past me.. it continued on down the bank for about another 40 yards and cut into the woods... there by myself at that point... i did have a bag of sweet chili heat doritos.. was hoping the bear would prefer them over me! lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
A buddy and myself fished from 4:00 to 6:00 this afternoon. We each landed two and my buddy lost another.Unbelievable the amount of fish in the pool.I would say we had poor fishing considering the number of fish in the pool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had my last kick at it today, spent from 8am to about 230pm on the renous , had 4 hookups, 1st one couldn't have liked the fresh feathers as it was a fly I tied up the night before and spit it out fairly quick, 2nd was a bruiser that after getting close enough to tail it snapped my braided leader.. yeah thats what I said. Lucky me I had a spar reel with me all set up and managed another hook up on 2nd cast , got to play him for about 5 mins before I ended up pulling the hook out. Then finally managed to land a nice fat Grilse as black as my boots. So was a pretty good end to a great season even got 2 Vids of fish on. This years fish were some healthy as the one's I was in to today had tons on power and energy. Only thing left to do now is get ready for next year and watch my slide show a few hundred times:)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice! fish hooked and landed!

ya riverwalker.. same here.. i've still need to put together the video/dvd for squirrel falls trip 2, perhaps this weekend.. the boys are looking for their copies... and i'm still waiting for buddy to do up the video/dvd for squirrel falls trip 1.. I should send him an email asking where it's at?! i'll be sure to watch them many times over the winter... I have a dvd made up for each trip for the last 5 years (this year 2 movies, so s/b 6 movies in all) I like to watch them from trip one five years ago right up to the current year.. always get a good chuckle at some of the stuff on there and seeing the fish caught is always nice too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like yesterday was a good day. I fished last night for the last time this year (4 - 7pm). I fished the pool through with a copper killer and either rolled one of took the hook out of its mouth (happened quick). I decided to change flies as there were fish jumping everywhere in the pool. I put on an undertaker for the first time and hooked and landed a 20lbs salmon about 30 or 45 mins before dark. Since I'm new and didn't want to loose the fish, I had to make a phone call to a friend and ask him how to get the salmon landed (it hunkered down in the middle of the river)..lol.

It was a good feeling to finally land one again. I landed my first on Labour Day but hooked and lost the next 8 (2 being salmon).

Can't wait until next year. Great to hear everyones stories. This website is partially the reason why I took up salmon fishing this year (reading all teh good stories).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like yesterday was a good day. I fished last night for the last time this year (4 - 7pm). I fished the pool through with a copper killer and either rolled one of took the hook out of its mouth (happened quick). I decided to change flies as there were fish jumping everywhere in the pool. I put on an undertaker for the first time and hooked and landed a 20lbs salmon about 30 or 45 mins before dark. Since I'm new and didn't want to loose the fish, I had to make a phone call to a friend and ask him how to get the salmon landed (it hunkered down in the middle of the river)..lol.

It was a good feeling to finally land one again. I landed my first on Labour Day but hooked and lost the next 8 (2 being salmon).

Can't wait until next year. Great to hear everyones stories. This website is partially the reason why I took up salmon fishing this year (reading all teh good stories).
nice way to end the season! i found the hardest thing to do was to find places that had fish... I met up with one of the guys on the site here back in the spring and he showed me some spots, i'm thankful for... met a few old friends who are into salmon fishing now and they shared a few spots.. I know spots on the North West, Renous, Little South West and Cains.. at least a dozen spots or so.. not including the 2 crown reserve fishing trips this year... nothing can be more discouraging than fishing a spot that has no fish... the previous 4 years going to quarryville cause it was the only place we knew sucked, i never caught a fish there... i'll never go back there i can tell ya that! i even made a few changes to my setup which i think made a difference too.. the biggest one was the Duncan loop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gonna' get out saturday for a final kick at the salmon this year, hopefully get a couple birds too. Been fun chattin' on here from time-to-time, have a good winter everyone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll be fishing the Miramichi tomorrow with my lady friend and we'll finish the season off,as usual,on the Cains River Sat. afternoon.
What a great season this year! It was nice to get returns like we did this year.Kind of gives you hope for the future of Atlantic Salmon.
Good luck to all who are fishing the next two days!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts