New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
only a week left for brown trout fishing in the lakes this year. we did all right yesterday, leaving a bit early (they were really just turning on, but so was the rain...again! lol!).
i landed this 21" thanks to a big telescoping net that also floats. it was one of those fights that should have been on video. my buddy kayaking behind me had a great view as it hit, short run and an explosive leap into the air - it was awesome! he jumped a number of times but couldn`t escape the combination of a kayak, a great abu garcia rod and that telescopic net.

just as we were heading in, a much bigger brown leaped way way up, so we had to give it one more pass...lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
250 Posts
only a week left for brown trout fishing in the lakes this year. we did all right yesterday, leaving a bit early (they were really just turning on, but so was the rain...again! lol!).
i landed this 21" thanks to a big telescoping net that also floats. it was one of those fights that should have been on video. my buddy kayaking behind me had a great view as it hit, short run and an explosive leap into the air - it was awesome! he jumped a number of times but couldn`t escape the combination of a kayak, a great abu garcia rod and that telescopic net.

just as we were heading in, a much bigger brown leaped way way up, so we had to give it one more pass...lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Very cool! Do you ever fly fish for these? I've never managed to catch a brown yet. I switch to salmon usually in June and the only browns I've heard of around Woodstock are in the Meduxnekeag in spring. I don't know if they stay in the river all season or move up into the lakes somehow.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Wannafish i do fly fish for browns but not often enough. just as we were leaving the fly bite was on hard, but with the rain, we were done. this was caught on a rapala 4" smelt pattern with red hooks trolled fairly quickly. trolling flies for browns can be very productive - try a smelt or trout pattern.i was seeing what looked to be damsell flies and bees on the water...

i would try the river. browns have a tendancy to be right where they were in spring right now, which makes it easier to target them. they will also be just a ways deeper but the same general area. dusk and dawn will be the best bite, but i caught this one in late afternoon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wannafish i do fly fish for browns but not often enough. just as we were leaving the fly bite was on hard, but with the rain, we were done. this was caught on a rapala 4" smelt pattern with red hooks trolled fairly quickly. trolling flies for browns can be very productive - try a smelt or trout pattern.i was seeing what looked to be damsell flies and bees on the water...

i would try the river. browns have a tendancy to be right where they were in spring right now, which makes it easier to target them. they will also be just a ways deeper but the same general area. dusk and dawn will be the best bite, but i caught this one in late afternoon.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup. the lakes in that group produce nice big browns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts