New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

How do you normally land your grilse/salmon?

• Tailing

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • netting

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • beaching

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how you guys land your fish and do you land it differently if you plan to harvest it? I'm a little concerned that even though released, some fish aren't going to make it depending on how they are handled,ie. I've heard of salmon beached on the rocks then released.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Salmon and grilse that are to be released should be played in quickly...very quickly...lactic acid build up in the fish from energy drained by prolonged fights is that biggest killer of C&R salmon and grilse. Play them in quick, put the wood to them and if you lose them oh well they were going to be released anyways....second...never ever ever drag a fish up on the shore that is going to be released!! way too much damage can occur to the fish and its gills, scales etc ...tail them or net them!! I see guys every year drag big salmon up onto shore lines and just throw them back in...if your going to practice C&R learn to do it right...tighten the drag and horse them in...in warm water just snap the leader don't play them at all if you plan on releasing.

Hope this helps with your question
The Tug is the Drug

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its hard to say , I had to pick the 1st 3 it kinda depends on the moment/conditions. Big Salmon I always tail or snap off. Grilse depends on if a net is at hand , is there a spot to beach and if I am planning to Tag it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, only 11 votes cast but so far tailing is most popular

1 - 4 of 4 Posts