New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering many people fish lake trout anywhere in nb?are there many lakes left with lakers?whats some of the biggest any one has caught?any one usr down riggers or just long line?what about lead core?also are gorge hooks legal here?

·
Registered
138 Posts
your best bet for lakers would be go to Long Lake and pay to stay at Harrisons. Myself I go over to Maine and fish in west grand lake which is only 45 mins from calais.

Bill G.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The only place I've ever fished for lakers is at Long Lake, at Harrison's.
I would highly recommend it.
The fishing seems to get better as time goes on.
Last year I landed a few 8-pounders and lost some giants as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i was looking into harrisonurs from what i can fiwrnd its in maine?i take it therw is no lakes with lake trout in nb??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Checked the pics on their website and WOW those are some whopper lake trout. Wonder how much a day it is to fish there?

Bill

·
Registered
138 Posts
do you know how many you need in your group? Can two guys go up there and get a cabin? or do you need to fill the cabin? When i was there it was end june and we got skunked. I'm thinking that it might be more of an early may ice out fishery?

Bill G.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
lakers are most active just after ice out, or so i`ve been told. there are about 7 lakes in nb with lakers listed in them by the province, and a few that don`t have them listed. i found from the backwoods book (which can be a bit out of date) a bunch of lakes that either have or had lakers in them: Ayers lake; Belleisle bay; Chamcook lake; Dark lake; Digdeguash lake; First lake (by Green river); Gibson lake; Grand lake; East Grand lake (which is shared by Maine and NB); Glasier lake; Harvey lake; Lac Baker; Loch Alva; States lake; Third lake (near Quebec); Trousers lake; West Long lake. this list is a lot longer than 7 lakes, and doesn`t include a spot i have seen them.

·
Registered
888 Posts
When I go (not often, so I'm no expert) I don't use a downrigger but lots of fishermen do use them with success.
I'm not sure if you have to fill a cabin or not. I would imagine he'd rather have two guys in a cabin rather than no guys. The price might vary for a half-empty cabin, not sure. Give him or Tanya a call. They are excellent folks and will be pleased to 'splain it all out for ya.
Early is better. The weekend after the long weekend in May is prime time, maybe a bit earlier this year. Water temp. seems to be the key on that lake. When it hits a certain temp which I can't remember what it is now, the biite turns on.
That being said, I've had luck in early June and earlier in May. I don't know anything about other times of the year.
Everyone and their dog will suggest a different kind of lure as being the "best." I had my best luck on a jointed Rapalla, white on the bottom and grey on top. Trolled as slowly as possible, with about a mile of line hanging out (slight exageration there.)
I'm sure various stuff works at various times, but that was the hot lure of the trip last year. Outfished everyone in the compound except for one guy in a camp next door. And if I wouldn't have lost three giants, I would have beaten him, too.
I've gone there three or four times to fish and was very pleased each time. Highly recommended.
For your money, you get a camp with electricity, running water, bed, stove, fridge, woodstove, kitchen table and chairs and a bbq on the patio of your camp - and access to the lake. There are hot showers and bathrooms in a nearby separate building. Never ran out of hot water during any of my visits.
Bring the rest of what you need yourself.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do they have it as a "private" lake? I thought all waters in the province were public owned? (with the exception of some grandfathered rights in the Miramichi watershed)? Even if all the land surrounding it were privately owned by them, you would still be able to access it by walking up brooks or streams to get to the lakes. Again, that was my understanding, though perhaps I am incorrect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for info im planing a trip for mid may to try it out there.i fish at a lake in timmins ontario every year for 2weeks with monster lakers up too 35 pounds but youravrage is 8-12 pounds beautiful spot!i stayed there all last year and worked and fished them threw ice as well beat expierence ever!early may to june we did best trolling not with down rigs.or with live lake hearing from shore.but after june thebest was doen riggers as they were really deep there was some other guys that were having sucess with bouncing some big jewlwery off the botom with led core.since now im addicted to lake trout fishing im gomma have too try all these lakea listed here with them thanks guys and what a great sighy

·
Registered
108 Posts
do you know how many you need in your group? Can two guys go up there and get a cabin? or do you need to fill the cabin? When i was there it was end june and we got skunked. I'm thinking that it might be more of an early may ice out fishery?

Bill G.
Bill, you can go with just two guys, but you may have to get a week day instead of the weekend, he may be already booked up solid for weekends.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do they have it as a "private" lake? I thought all waters in the province were public owned? (with the exception of some grandfathered rights in the Miramichi watershed)? Even if all the land surrounding it were privately owned by them, you would still be able to access it by walking up brooks or streams to get to the lakes. Again, that was my understanding, though perhaps I am incorrect.
Bob , from what I understand this lake is leased.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Serpentine lake is supposed to have lake trout as well. Its in the same area as Long Lake and Trouser Lake. Its public access with a boat ramp and you can pitch a tent there (no motorhomes/camper trailers..theres a big sign and we asked DNR about tent camping there, they said its fine). I've been up there twice with downriggers and haven't had luck, but you can see big fish suspended on the sonar. Last time we were there, DNR stocked the lake with smelt a week before we got there, so that may have had something to do with it. We have met people up there that had luck, but I'm not one of them......

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they stocked it with smelt? i`m glad they did but they don`t list smelt on their stocking site. i was thinking serpentine lk had lakers but they don`t list them in the backwoods book i was quoting from. i think they include it on the nb site. it`s one of the lakes i would like to get to this year, along with a few others in that general area. i never got out for lakers last year and this year i`m better equiped for them (i won a downrigger for my kayak in a kayak fishing contest) so i`m looking forward to giving it a try

·
Registered
888 Posts
I know a few people who have fished at Serpentine and all of them came home fishless.
Could be just bad luck, could be that they suck as fishermen, could be that the lakers are long gone or could be that Alyre ate them all to fend off starvation.
(That was a little private joke. Sorry)
Anyway, I honestly have no idea but I'm not sure if I'd waste my time going there.
I don't know anyone who has fished Trousers Lake, but I can tell you there is a shatload o' campers and cars parked there every spring, which I admit might or might not mean anything.
Just some more stuff to consider. Good luck whatever you choose!

·
Registered
57 Posts
they stocked it with smelt? i`m glad they did but they don`t list smelt on their stocking site. i was thinking serpentine lk had lakers but they don`t list them in the backwoods book i was quoting from. i think they include it on the nb site. it`s one of the lakes i would like to get to this year, along with a few others in that general area. i never got out for lakers last year and this year i`m better equiped for them (i won a downrigger for my kayak in a kayak fishing contest) so i`m looking forward to giving it a try
We were told about the smelt stocking on Serpentine by the owner of Serpentine Lodge....We did see alot of bait balls on the sonar, and saw a few (10 or so) dead smelt floating in the bay by the boatramp.

The brookie fishing there was pretty good if the lakers don't bite, we caught dozens on the fly, but no real big ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts