New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told about an "amazing" lake for pickerel, I think it was just outside of mcadam. can anyone tell me what the fishing is like there, and how to properly spell/pronounce the lake. it might have been maqadavish.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Magaguadavic doesn't have many pickrel in it. A few have been caught over the last couple of years. It used to be known as a landloch salmon lake but now it's known for it's smallmouth. Other than Magaguadavic most of the lakes in that area have good numbers of pickrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just caught a pickeral in the little steam between the two Magaguadavic lakes a few weeks ago. can't see there being none in the lake

·
Registered
208 Posts
There weren't any until about 10 years ago. Then they just appeared. There still aren't large numbers but there will be in the future. Most people that fish the lake kill them on site, believing they are the reason for the decline in salmon numbers.They may have something to do with it but most likely it was the decline in smelt numbers, more so than predation.I've never caught a pickrel in Magaguadavic while bass fishing or when fishing for salmon but I know a few people who've caught them on flies while salmon fishing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There weren't any until about 10 years ago. Then they just appeared. There still aren't large numbers but there will be in the future. Most people that fish the lake kill them on site, believing they are the reason for the decline in salmon numbers.They may have something to do with it but most likely it was the decline in smelt numbers, more so than predation.I've never caught a pickrel in Magaguadavic while bass fishing or when fishing for salmon but I know a few people who've caught them on flies while salmon fishing.
While we're on the pickerel subject,can anyone tell me if Oram Lake on the penninsula is private all of a sudden?I tried getting in there earlier in the year and buddy had a gate across the road. I called the Ranger office in Hampton and got no help at all! Buddy said he wasn't familier with the area and wouldn't even ask someone else there for any info. All he said was that if a gate was there, then obviously someone didn't want you in there.The only reason I'm asking is that I know some of you guys have been in there ice fishing and have run across the gate issue before, and at that time someone in the forum said that he checked and the lake was still public. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
"There weren't any until about 10 years ago. Then they just appeared."
- They didn't just appear , some idiot introduced them , unbelievable !

"There still aren't large numbers but there will be in the future. Most people that fish the lake kill them on site, believing they are the reason for the decline in salmon numbers.They may have something to do with it but most likely it was the decline in smelt numbers, more so than predation."
- Now what do you suppose happened to the smelt ? Suppose maybe the pickerel might have eaten a few of them ?

When will it end ? Bass in Miramichi Lake , what next Upsalquitch Lake ? Bathurst Lakes ?
What needs to happen is DFO has to make an example of one of these idiots , Big Fine , and the confiscation of a truck , trailor and Bass boat . Yes , Bass boat , like someone said it sure as hell isn't the trout and salmon fishermen who are doing this .
That might smarten a few of them up , maybe not there idiots after all .

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
While we're on the pickerel subject,can anyone tell me if Oram Lake on the penninsula is private all of a sudden?I tried getting in there earlier in the year and buddy had a gate across the road. I called the Ranger office in Hampton and got no help at all! Buddy said he wasn't familier with the area and wouldn't even ask someone else there for any info. All he said was that if a gate was there, then obviously someone didn't want you in there.The only reason I'm asking is that I know some of you guys have been in there ice fishing and have run across the gate issue before, and at that time someone in the forum said that he checked and the lake was still public. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks!
A friend of mine fishes Oram and he tells me that is a private road. He used to take a small boat in there, now he just walks in and fishes it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The main reason for the decline in Salmon numbers is that none were stocked for a few years. Magaguadavic not known for naturally reproducing landlocked salmon population.

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Magaguadavic not known for naturally reproducing landlocked salmon population."

Your wrong on that one Mike , Landlock Salmon and Trout are native to Magaguadavic Lake , Bass and Pickerel are NOT .
Same story with Harvey and Oromocto Lakes , with the exception of pickerel in Oromocto .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Greyghost, I was trying to be nice about the introduction of pickrel into the lake and a bit sarcastic. You are correct about an idiot putting them in the lake and numerous fishermen would love to know who. As for the salmon reproduction you are correct again. Magaguadavic has always had natural reproduction in Landlock salmon.Anyone that fishes any of the streams that empty into the lake can verify that. The pickrel undoubtedly played their part of the reduction in smelt numbers but human predation probably played a bigger role, both in over fishing of the smelt in the spring and over fishing of the salmon. It used to be common to see 30 boats off Hill's Head every day on the weekends and most took their limit or more. As for the smelt the limit on smelt hasn't been in place that long. I've heard many stories about guys walking back to their vehicles, with a 5 gallon bucket in each hand , with smelt overflowing onto the ground. I'm not entirely sure everything can be blamed on the introduction of pickrel but that certainly didn't help.Many of the lakes have had fish introduced by fishermen and in every instance the natural fish has suffered.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Whats the history of Landlocked salmon in Magaguadavic Lake prior to 1980. Also I'm curious about fishing success in the lake in the next few years now that they have resumed the stocking programs.The Pickeral shouldn't be there but it's too late now. It's a crime. Pickeral so far documented downriver to Hwy. 3 .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Canada Mike, the first time I can remember fishing the lake for salmon was in 1967. The fish were plentiful and fished primarily with streamers. I don't remember ever catching a fish with a fin clip prior to the 80's. The streams that dump into the Magaguadavic were full of spawning fish in the late fall and the river was too. We used to follow the terns, they were our fishfinders, as they were chasing the schools of smelt the salmon pushed near the surface. The diving terns signalled you to hold tight for the slam of a feeding fish. It doesn't happen anymore but hopefully will recover. I haven't fished the lake in a few years for salmon but have heard from a few diehards that there are quite a few small fish in the lake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The lake is full of pics and big ones. Last timme i was there in july i caught over 40 and i was not targeting them. They are in there over 30" in lenght and they are there to stay. You could hold 100 caatch and kill tournys and it would not stop them. They arrived in the lake a few years ago when a mans dam at his stocked pond broke and the fish made it to the lake. From here they have already made it lake Utopia, hard to say where the will make it from there.
It sucks that they are there, in big numbers and size at that, but might as well make the best of a bad situation and go catch some.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Jeff, I believe the dam for the stocked fish was for rainbows not pickeral, and it was in lower Brockway, a fair step from the lake. I've fished the river for years and have never caught a pickeral in it.I've also fished many of the feeder streams and haven't caught pickeral in these, either. I've caught a few rainbows but no pickeral. I didn't point out how the pickeral got in the lake but I figured it was fairly obvious. Greyghost is right in how the fish got in the lake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The thorough fair between the big n little maq is holding almost entirely pick's now, I have spent countless days there fishing and have boated 70-80, some reaching 29 inches. The dam portion leading into the river system is plugged solid with picks just waiting to head down the fish ladder , 23 picks on 28 casts with a blue fox. Meaning this is only the beginning of the end of a great multi species fishery of lake utopia (where trout, salmon, and bass have survived well together). Just another example of some peoples ignorance. For those not understanding the situation , both Maq lakes are plugged full of pickerel now. there is not an area where I have not hooked one, deep water, shallow, rocks, weeds, they own the lakes now. Unfortunately, the idiots who are introducing these species into other water systems, are most certainly not educated enough , nor care enough to bother with these great discussion boards. furthering the problem, is the cuts being made almost every year to the fisheries department... they need to have officers out there to deal with these offenders who are creating havoc by species movement. take thier truck, tackle , lifetime ban on fishing, potential jailtime, and any boat, not just BASSBOAT, Mr. Greyghost.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the road to oram shows as ending at the house. past that it's a fire road so far as i know, but i had heard they were going to put a gate on it due to some problems the last few years. last time i checked it wasn't there, but that was last winter. some people they give a hard time just parking there. access problems is why i think it's wrong to only include that lake for pickeral ice fishing - who wants to have problems with their car while they are fishing?! i have had my tires flattened twice there, but okay last 2 years.

maybe we should sick the idiot flattening tires after the one stocking illegal fish? maybe same person?
frustrating!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i just relized i missed answering the actual question - yes, oram is still public. the road....another good question.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i just relized i missed answering the actual question - yes, oram is still public. the road....another good question.
The gate is defintely up and by the looks of it I would say locked! Couldn't get any info from ranger station on Hampton.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can't help but shake my head in disbelief when I read about stocking non-native species in lakes with so much variety already.In a previous topic we were discussing what is legal and what wasn't. It's been my own personal opinion and a particular sore spot with me, that with all the transferring of fish that;s going on, why the "live well" isn't banned on N.B. waters.I know there are bass tournaments and the like, but some big tournaments in the states are going with catch and release now. They have a member from the club running the tournament right on each boat to weigh and measure each fish, then release it.I don't have a fancy bass boat,just a 15 ft. aluminium jon boat.It had a live well when I bought it in the states but I removed it as soon as I got it home. It was just a junk collector anyway and now I have more uncluttered floor space. My point is that If we didn't have these live wells with the areation systems and all,a lot of this stupid illegal stocking couldn't happen. It would be a lot harder to keep illegal fish alive in a cooler or bucket and would also be a lot more visible to other fishermen and wardens.TO EASY TO BE CAUGHT!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts