New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year fishing for sturgeon and I've caught about 5 now this fall. Just wondering how late in the year they stay in around KV / Hampton area. I haven't been having much luck since the sturgeon hunt and I'm wondering if they are on there way back out now?

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is my first year fishing for sturgeon and I've caught about 5 now this fall. Just wondering how late in the year they stay in around KV / Hampton area. I haven't been having much luck since the sturgeon hunt and I'm wondering if they are on there way back out now?
I'm by no means an expert on Sturgeon, but I believe the shortnose sturgeon stay in the river system for the course of their life. I read that the Atlantic sturgeon heads out to the ocean once they're a few years old and come back to spawn in the exact place they were born once they reach maturity, which could be 25-30 years. There's an interesting article about someone spotting a 6' Atlantic sturgeon in the Petitcodiac near Salisbury. He got a picture of if with his cell phone, and reported it. Apparently it must've been spawning at his birth place some 30 years prior. The gates at the causeway were never closed for this fish.
Actually here's the article for anyone interested:)
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/search/article/1211724

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on Sturgeon, but I believe the shortnose sturgeon stay in the river system for the course of their life. I read that the Atlantic sturgeon heads out to the ocean once they're a few years old and come back to spawn in the exact place they were born once they reach maturity, which could be 25-30 years. There's an interesting article about someone spotting a 6' Atlantic sturgeon in the Petitcodiac near Salisbury. He got a picture of if with his cell phone, and reported it. Apparently it must've been spawning at his birth place some 30 years prior. The gates at the causeway were never closed for this fish.
Actually here's the article for anyone interested:)
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/search/article/1211724
Thanks for the link Linesider, very interesting article.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts