New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one planning to enter iam going out on the friday before to see who is going to win the tourny is usally allready won before it starts
chatch a big one this week tie it to a tree pick it up saturday
you win 1000 bucks

·
Registered
428 Posts
any one planning to enter iam going out on the friday before to see who is going to win the tourny is usally allready won before it starts
chatch a big one this week tie it to a tree pick it up saturday
you win 1000 bucks
I think it would have been hard for the fella who won last year to tie his fish to a tree and retrieve it infront of a bunch of boats.

I wouldn't doubt stuff like that may have gone on years ago, but I think it is pretty hard to get away with now. I don't think anyone should be allowed to fish the night before or anchor and camp out there all night either as that always creates talk of cheating amongst competitors.

The old smelt derby at renforth was plagued by cheating and I heard all kinds of stories of freezer burnt fish being entered and fixing of results. There's always more drinking than fishing going on down there so some people will do whatever they can to pay for a few flats of beer.

One family got first in the women's, first in the kids and I think second in the men's division, so that was a fishy one that year, but impossible to prove.

I fish tournaments, but I would prefer if there were none at all. They are no good for the fish, any kind no matter if it is live release. Just think of all the sturgeon that get broken off with hooks in their mouths or get gut hooked and not to mention rough handling and stress. The winning sturgeon last year had part of it's tail broken which could kill the fish if it gets infected.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hmmm. sour grapes?!!!

i know for a fact that there was nothing improper with the winning fish last year and you owe a lot of fishers a big appoligy!!!

since there is now a commercial fishery for them here, i can`t see how a c&r tourney is doing any damage to them. for instance, the tail may have been chewed up by a power boat or shark, but certainly wasn`t hurt by the kayak the winner was paddling!!!

that number of boats certainly puts presure on the fish, and probably moves them around a lot. the large numbers also increase the odds of getting caught for cheating. cheating in a tourny is illegal and besides what the cops would do to you, normally there is a life time ban from all tournies. i have only fished it a few times but i had the camp up on the cliff above it, and watched it for well over a decade, and i never saw any cheating etc. i have also fished there for stripers the night before. there was some light partying going on, but no fishing let alone tieing up to trees by the people anchored there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cheating, not cheating, who gives a #@%*! Just go out and catch some sturgeon. Its a fun time, meet new folks, and win some crap; or even money.
As far as hurting the fish go, yea it happens and it sucks. But fishing is awesome, and its going to happen. all we can do is educate people as best we can on proper handling, and angling.
For example. No one should be using any small hooks (under 6/0) for the hunt. even a foot long sturgeon has a pretty giant mouth. use heavy line, or, set your drag properly to keep lost hooks to a minimum . handle the fish with respect, i hate, HATE when people lift the fish out of the water with the rod. (not going to happen with a 50lb sturgeon but smaller fish).
Theres much more then that, but if people can use some common sense we can keep the fish caught as healthy as possible, considering the point of fishing is to hook, tire, and bring a fish to your boat right?
anyway, i'm pumped for sunday!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
*7ince there is now a commercial fishery for them here, i can`t see how a c&r tourney is doing any damage to them. for instance, the tail may have been chewed up by a power boat or shark, but certainly wasn`t hurt by the kayak the winner was paddling!!![/quote]

There has always been commercial sturgeon fishery. I beleive that there is no one left alive who has a licence to fish the Kennebecasis. From what I was told, the licences are non transferable. There are only two fishermen on the SJ that I've heard of, the Whepleys and Sanderson(???). Hopefully the sturgeon fishery as well as all other inland commericial fisheries come to an end soon. Inland commercial fishing no longer brings in more economic value than recreational fishing and even though sportfish and striped bass are not targeted, they get caught in the nets just like anything else that swims in there and more often than not, thrown away dead. Some really nice stripers have been thrown back into the harbour fins up during the spring shad fishery. By the way, has anyone ever heard what the real cause was of the fish kills and dead stripers washing up on the SJ river and Belleisle in previous years during the spring? Makes me wonder...

The topic starter may have been drunk posting... it was quite a ridiculous post. Sounds like he may be trying to scare people away from the tournament. Well that may increase your odds, but if they don't sell enough tickets than you don't get full payout. The year I came in 2nd, they were like 3 tickets short of full payout! There is a reason why the same people often place repeatedly... we know how to fish sturgeon and know where they hangout. Even so, I've been totally skunked 2-3 derbies. Some years I've got 4-5 sturgeon or not even a bite. One fella I know who does well, has had at least 7 sturgeon in the boat in one sturgeon hunt, then skunked the next year. Sometimes it is all about luck, but skill definitely helps.

By the way, if anyone wants to know the secrets to catching sturgeon, $100 will get you a map, rigs and a bucket of secret bait, just PM if your interested!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
as i understand it, the comercial fishing now is for live sturgeon to sell for stocking else where. not the same license.

brownman, you say 6/0 min? circle hook? j hook? i use smaller depending on the hook type and make but use the pre riged 4-8/0 a lot. i haven`t deep hooked any yet but i hardly fish sturgeon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
as i understand it, the comercial fishing now is for live sturgeon to sell for stocking else where. not the same license.

brownman, you say 6/0 min? circle hook? j hook? i use smaller depending on the hook type and make but use the pre riged 4-8/0 a lot. i haven`t deep hooked any yet but i hardly fish sturgeon.
def not saying thats the only option, if you know what your doing smaller then 6 is fine. but deep hooking is a higher risk with smaller hooks. the smallest hooks i rig are 6/0 octopus hooks. but it will depend on bait i'm using. i've got some 8 and 9 bait holder J's for crawlers, and some 10/0 circle for other bait...obviously targeting larger ones there.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
def not saying thats the only option, if you know what your doing smaller then 6 is fine. but deep hooking is a higher risk with smaller hooks. the smallest hooks i rig are 6/0 octopus hooks. but it will depend on bait i'm using. i've got some 8 and 9 bait holder J's for crawlers, and some 10/0 circle for other bait...obviously targeting larger ones there.
with hooks that big, you must be targetting atlantic sturgeon as opposed to shortnose sturgeon? Have you ever caught an atlantic sturgeon with rod and reel? Just asking, because I know one of those commercial fishermen on the kennebecasis, and he says he's never heard of anyone ever catching an atlantic on rod and reel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
with hooks that big, you must be targetting atlantic sturgeon as opposed to shortnose sturgeon? Have you ever caught an atlantic sturgeon with rod and reel? Just asking, because I know one of those commercial fishermen on the kennebecasis, and he says he's never heard of anyone ever catching an atlantic on rod and reel.
Really?? I've caught a couple,youngins though all under 40inches, but did noone see the pictures of the 9 foot one caught on the bellisle bay in august? couple young guys pulled out some 6 foot atlantics, and one 9 foot. i'll try to find the pics.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
a short nose over 4`is rare, so almost all the big ones are atlantics.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Really?? I've caught a couple,youngins though all under 40inches, but did noone see the pictures of the 9 foot one caught on the bellisle bay in august? couple young guys pulled out some 6 foot atlantics, and one 9 foot. i'll try to find the pics.
Cool! that's good to know, then!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Im entering the tourney again this year, its cheap so I got no complaints although Ive never brought in a Sturgeon, It seems like the year i entered everyone tries to get that one hole in front of the brown camp and they always seem to get a **** load.

Any tips? What is the proper rig up? do you use a sliding sinker or secured one? And do you have your line tight or allow them slack to take it? whats the standard bait? Is the best way to anchor side ways? with one anchor up front and one down back?

Ive had shitty luck the last 3 years, one year it rained all day which made it miserable, especially after we got out there and realized we had left our beer and food back at the house. The year after our bilge pump broke off and we filled with water, the year after that our motor died so bad luck but im a sucker for punishment so ill be back again this year.

Oh yea, whats the date of the Tourney? Oct 10?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Im entering the tourney again this year, its cheap so I got no complaints although Ive never brought in a Sturgeon, It seems like the year i entered everyone tries to get that one hole in front of the brown camp and they always seem to get a **** load.

Any tips? What is the proper rig up? do you use a sliding sinker or secured one? And do you have your line tight or allow them slack to take it? whats the standard bait? Is the best way to anchor side ways? with one anchor up front and one down back?

Ive had shitty luck the last 3 years, one year it rained all day which made it miserable, especially after we got out there and realized we had left our beer and food back at the house. The year after our bilge pump broke off and we filled with water, the year after that our motor died so bad luck but im a sucker for punishment so ill be back again this year.

Oh yea, whats the date of the Tourney? Oct 10?
yeah it's Oct 10

1 - 14 of 14 Posts