New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
So... How'd it go?
Day 1 arrived and started fishing by 4. We were planning to hit upper pools, including Trash Heap Pool, as we wanted the bike ride and our 4th rod wasnt to arrive until dark. Turns out we missed the sign to these pools on way in (DNR should relocate to opposite side of rd, we didn't see it until we were leaving the next day) so we started down the rd we thought would take us there and ended up at staircase to Camp Pool in like 10 mins. Oh well, we scouted Camp and Malcolms Pools which didnt look promising at the water levels we had and went down to Long Falls Pool. This is the most productive and fishable pool we found. With enough room for 2 rods, I left my brother in law and his son there and went to Bridge Pool. Scouted MacNaughton Pool on the way and saw a grilse very close to shore, but kept going since I spooked him and would hit the pool on way back up. I waded the river above Bridge Pool and fished it from river left (I'm right handed) and caught and landed a large male grilse in 10 mins on a LT Special (variant - I was creative). Saw several fish jumping (mostly salmon) but no takers. Headed back up to Long Pool and we fished there till dark, seeing lots of fish rolling and jumping, but no interest in flies.

Day 2: We wanted to fish the lower pools so made the hike (40+ mins one way). Tried Bridge and Long Falls again for a few mins on way by. My Nephew hooked his first salmon (grilse?) on an Undertaker for 20 s before it came off. Saw no action or any fish at Squirrel Falls or Ledge Pool. Worth the hike for the scenery, but a rough and hard trail to throw a line if you dont know if fish are there or not. We headed back to Long Falls to fish and a shore lunch. Full harsh sun didn't help the angling, but with the crystal clear water, I could see several large salmon from river left below falls where the large eddy has created a muddy stick pile which is perfect to fish from. There was at least one 25+lb fish and two more 20 lb range. I could also see at least 6 10-15 lb fish in the channel below the falls. Only saw a couple of grilse (my bet is most of the grilse have been tagged from these upper reaches
) and most of the jumping fish were salmon (awesome to watch, but didnt see any going over the falls anywhere). Rolled a small salmon on a small Blue Charm, only action I saw all day. Decided to hike up to McTavish run which log book said was worth the trip, but it was a waste of time. 50 min one way from Long Falls, this pool is like a small gorge with deep water in the middle, even if you hooked a fish, it would be hard to land it. When I got back, the boys were at the stairs ready to go so that was it for fishing. We all had to work (school) today so only really were there for 24 hrs or so and the 3 hrs walking to and from pools means that we didnt have our lines in the water as much as we liked.

Despite not much action, we had a great time, and I particularly enjoyed the clear water and seeing those huge fish at Long Falls Pool. Squirrel Falls is quite a drop 6-8 feet so it would be fun seeing the fish go up and over.

Camp was great, but I have a hard time believing it couldnt be closer to the water somewhere haha. No bears (although lots of scat and foot prints) and no mice in camp.

Note: the terrain is rugged! River is small and pools are short so each really only fishes 1 rod, 2 at most. Some pools are hard to fish due to turbulence, backwash and eddies playing with your line and hindering the classic drift and presentation. (I can come up with other excuses).

I am glad I went so I can check it off the list. Wish I could have seen upper pools and next time I would like to go during an early summer run.

Looking forward to Chadman's report.

Can someone tell me how to post pics from files on my computer? I see where to post media etc in the menu above, but it asks for URL links.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report! (now i'll be late for work lol) Glad you enjoyed it; those trips are never a waste of time. You'll have to try the Restigouche region someday; you can see every fish in the pools in most of those rivers with the "gin clear" water.

I'm trying to remember how to post a picture here;
I just copied and pasted this one; it's Flying Eddy pool on the Southeast Upsalquitch (should see some salmon in it)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry if it was too much information, but I just put down the details I would want to know if someone else went.

I will try to post some pics tonight, I have a couple of the pools and river but none of my fish, I was alone.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sorry if it was too much information, but I just put down the details I would want to know if someone else went.

I will try to post some pics tonight, I have a couple of the pools and river but none of my fish, I was alone.
Not too much info at all; I read every word and can't get enough of this kind of thing. I think it's great to get the lowdown on these crown stretches from people who have been there. I was talking to your brother-in -law this spring (we graduated high school together many years ago) and he told me about the awesome trip you guys had last year. Great to hear his son hooked his first! Gives him some bragging rights over the old man

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not too much info at all; I read every word and can't get enough of this kind of thing. I think it's great to get the lowdown on these crown stretches from people who have been there. I was talking to your brother-in -law this spring (we graduated high school together many years ago) and he told me about the awesome trip you guys had last year. Great to hear his son hooked his first! Gives him some bragging rights over the old man
Yes, it would be great to get a thorough report of all CR stretches so you can save a little time when you go. Then again, it depends on time of yr and water levels etc anyway. My goal is to try and see all of them at some point.

I still cant post pics from my files. When I copy them from Windows in My Documents, and then right click here in this text, the "Paste" option is grey and not black so I cant place them here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, it would be great to get a thorough report of all CR stretches so you can save a little time when you go. Then again, it depends on time of yr and water levels etc anyway. My goal is to try and see all of them at some point.

I still cant post pics from my files. When I copy them from Windows in My Documents, and then right click here in this text, the "Paste" option is grey and not black so I cant place them here.
Strangest thing, I can't copy/paste from this computer at work either. I think most forums are set up to use a site like photobucket but that never worked for me here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ok I got it to work with photobucket this time; once you've loaded pics into photobucket you can copy/paste the image code into the reply window of this forum by clicking on the insert image icon.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Day 1 arrived and started fishing by 4. We were planning to hit upper pools, including Trash Heap Pool, as we wanted the bike ride and our 4th rod wasnt to arrive until dark. Turns out we missed the sign to these pools on way in (DNR should relocate to opposite side of rd, we didn't see it until we were leaving the next day) so we started down the rd we thought would take us there and ended up at staircase to Camp Pool in like 10 mins. Oh well, we scouted Camp and Malcolms Pools which didnt look promising at the water levels we had and went down to Long Falls Pool. This is the most productive and fishable pool we found. With enough room for 2 rods, I left my brother in law and his son there and went to Bridge Pool. Scouted MacNaughton Pool on the way and saw a grilse very close to shore, but kept going since I spooked him and would hit the pool on way back up. I waded the river above Bridge Pool and fished it from river left (I'm right handed) and caught and landed a large male grilse in 10 mins on a LT Special (variant - I was creative). Saw several fish jumping (mostly salmon) but no takers. Headed back up to Long Pool and we fished there till dark, seeing lots of fish rolling and jumping, but no interest in flies.

Day 2: We wanted to fish the lower pools so made the hike (40+ mins one way). Tried Bridge and Long Falls again for a few mins on way by. My Nephew hooked his first salmon (grilse?) on an Undertaker for 20 s before it came off. Saw no action or any fish at Squirrel Falls or Ledge Pool. Worth the hike for the scenery, but a rough and hard trail to throw a line if you dont know if fish are there or not. We headed back to Long Falls to fish and a shore lunch. Full harsh sun didn't help the angling, but with the crystal clear water, I could see several large salmon from river left below falls where the large eddy has created a muddy stick pile which is perfect to fish from. There was at least one 25+lb fish and two more 20 lb range. I could also see at least 6 10-15 lb fish in the channel below the falls. Only saw a couple of grilse (my bet is most of the grilse have been tagged from these upper reaches
) and most of the jumping fish were salmon (awesome to watch, but didnt see any going over the falls anywhere). Rolled a small salmon on a small Blue Charm, only action I saw all day. Decided to hike up to McTavish run which log book said was worth the trip, but it was a waste of time. 50 min one way from Long Falls, this pool is like a small gorge with deep water in the middle, even if you hooked a fish, it would be hard to land it. When I got back, the boys were at the stairs ready to go so that was it for fishing. We all had to work (school) today so only really were there for 24 hrs or so and the 3 hrs walking to and from pools means that we didnt have our lines in the water as much as we liked.

Despite not much action, we had a great time, and I particularly enjoyed the clear water and seeing those huge fish at Long Falls Pool. Squirrel Falls is quite a drop 6-8 feet so it would be fun seeing the fish go up and over.

Camp was great, but I have a hard time believing it couldnt be closer to the water somewhere haha. No bears (although lots of scat and foot prints) and no mice in camp.

Note: the terrain is rugged! River is small and pools are short so each really only fishes 1 rod, 2 at most. Some pools are hard to fish due to turbulence, backwash and eddies playing with your line and hindering the classic drift and presentation. (I can come up with other excuses).

I am glad I went so I can check it off the list. Wish I could have seen upper pools and next time I would like to go during an early summer run.

Looking forward to Chadman's report.

Can someone tell me how to post pics from files on my computer? I see where to post media etc in the menu above, but it asks for URL links.
looks like you had a good trip, I updated my post.. you might wanna check it out : ) we didn't make it up to the trash heap pool.. fishing was too good at long falls and bridge pool to go anywhere else really. what do you mean by all the grilse tagged out? my understanding is that the crown stretches have been mostly catch and release since they introduced that variation order in the spring.. crown was for the most part catch and release this year and will be for the next 2 years as well.. can't remember when the date starts but generally it will be catch and release.. but I could be wrong on that

·
Registered
55 Posts
looks like you had a good trip, I updated my post.. you might wanna check it out : ) we didn't make it up to the trash heap pool.. fishing was too good at long falls and bridge pool to go anywhere else really. what do you mean by all the grilse tagged out? my understanding is that the crown stretches have been mostly catch and release since they introduced that variation order in the spring.. crown was for the most part catch and release this year and will be for the next 2 years as well.. can't remember when the date starts but generally it will be catch and release.. but I could be wrong on that
My understanding was that CR is catch and release only after Sept 1st, but I could be wrong. Lots of record of grilse being tagged in the camp log book, but maybe that was other yrs and not this one.

Definitely some huge salmon in that little river eh?

Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I tried to post my pics but could only get link to photobucket, showing some of the pools.

http://s1231.photobucket.com/home/korlando2/index

·
Registered
576 Posts
nope, I found the link that has all the details

DFO variation order

ya lots of big fish... we've been to crawford 3 times and three sisters.. and in 4 years we hooked into 3 salmon... we've trippled that number this year at squirrel falls alone.. but you have to adjust your fishing to the conditions.. don't expect to be throwing long casts and having long swooping wet fly swings... it's like fishing a larger brook but definitely not the size of a river

I find it easier to load the pics to my album from my pc and copying the image link and inserting into the post

1 - 15 of 15 Posts