New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in the Richibucto area this weekend, and noticed people fishing along the bridge in Little Aldouane as I was on my way to my trout spot. I stopped to see what they were catching. The general reply was that they were fishing for trout, but many were reeling in stripers one after another. There was no size to them except for the odd 5-10 pounder. Pretty much all schoolies, but TONS of them. Interesting to note that though some of the folks seemed to be legitimatly fishing for trout, with the spinner and worm fishing off the bottom, others were blatantly fishing for stripers and were not afraid to tell you, with the 6" soft plastic tubes. And boy, were they ever reeling them in!

The g-men are saying that there are not enough of the big reproducing ones to open up the fishery there. My question is, if that's the case, how do you end up with so many schoolies if not enough are spawning??? Eggs are being laid somewhere!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Saw a crazy huge school of YOY or less then 8" striped bass cruising in and out of the channel, at a river in southern kent county. Could not believe my eyes how many where there. As I was standing there a gaspareau fisherman stopped to see if I was seeing what he was. He told me that his net was full of small 4 to 8" bass, and the tub for his catch was half empty. He said the river was full of them that size this year. That means that there is another strong year class coming! Hope that help our CNR case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We are seeing the same thing in Miramichi. One evening we actually just had to dangle our rubber worm over the side of the boat about a foot in the water and we were pulling Bass around 10 to 15 inch. And I don't mean the odd fish. Been fishing this river for 20 years and never saw or at least remember Bass this tiny in huge numbers.

There are big fish there also around 15 lbs but the number of schoolies just seem so plentiful. My parents live in a pretty good spot for trout and salmon in the spring and these Bass are hungry buggers. They have been taking sense the early part of April and have not stopped since.

Had a great year for trout as well. Just want to mention I used barbless hooks and only lost a couple trout out of many.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts