New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very dissapointed to learn, that a lake within this protected area, which had been closed to fishing by the DNR for around fifteen years, is now off their list of closed waters. The problem with this, is that when the lake was taken off the closed to fishing list, there was a pulp and paper company, that built logging roads, to harvest the forest, now has gated off access and built a private lodge, within this so called protected area and on the edge of this lake. I assumed that if DNR were managing a body of water, it was for the general public, not a private company. I now know I was wrong. We need DNR to protect our resources but when they are specifically protecting lakes for private companies, there is a problem.

There are also other lakes within the Kennedy Lakes protected area, which are now inaccessable because of the installation of the gate. I have been accessing this area for around twenty five years and I know there are other wilderness areas within our province but to close off logging roads to the public, that were most likely built with subsidies from the NB tax payers is wrong. The company in question was supposed to have loggging rights in some of this area until 2012, some of which was on the old Avenor land tract and some on crown land .I assumed that once the logging operations were over, the protected area would still be able to be accessed from this westerly direction by the general public. I was wrong again.

I am not sure if DNR knew all along, that the pulp and paper company were planning to put a private lodge on their property, within this protected area but if they did, I am very dissappointed how things worked out for the people who had been enjoying this area for years. I know there is still access to the southeast area of the Kennedy Lakes Protected areas but the western access is now shut down, which elimiates any possibilities of hiking, canoeing, kayaking or other outdoor activites other than for the people using the lodge.

I believe, we need more protected areas within our province but we don't need more land protected for large corporations, to used as a playgound for family and friends while restricting the general public.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is the lodge built on Crown land or private property?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I gather from the map, that identifies the Kennedy Lakes protected land boundries, the lodge would have been built within the Avenor Inc. property boundries, which is surrounded by the protected aera. I believe that Avenor Inc.(which became Avenor Maritimes Inc in 1994 and Bowater Maritimes Inc in 1999) sold off 1000,000 acres to JDI in 1998 but the new land ownership has not identified on the Kennedy Lakes protected map. There has been 2.5 decades, at least of public access to these lands that I am aware off and it is has probably been much longer than that.

It seems the only access to the Avenor Inc. property, by road, is to use crown land access within the protected area, which seems to be a double standard when a gate is erected to block the public from accessing crown land within the protected area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have fished this area for years as well. It's owned by Irving oil, and I have actually requested permission to access this land and was turned down. I was speaking to the head biologist for DNR and she informed me Irving had had a freehold on the land for years. The lodge was built on Louis lake, and all you information was correct about Bowater owning the land initially. These other lakes that have been blocked (mud lake, Burk, Melville, and I believe grassy lake) should have an alternate route created for the public to access them. However the land ownership stretches nearly to Melville lake. I never have found an answer as to how a protected area can also be privatly owned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, not sure it would be worth the work but a 10m right-of-way exists along all waterways in New Brunswick. So, if you wanted to access these lakes from the other (Fowler Lake) side using watercourses, you would be well within your rights to do so. I do not know if the fishing rights in Louis Lake are private however...

·
Registered
2 Posts
While it is true Irving blocked easy access to the upper end of The Kennedy Lakes it is not closed. I have fished these lakes since 1981 and still do. There is a trail if you know where it is and it is hard to follow that leads from the Renous to Upper Long lake. It is 4.5 miles long and passes by 4 lakes or ponds on the way. From Upper long there are trails from both ends of the lake that allow you to paddle and carry your canoe from one lake to the next. You can travel from Burke's to Main Kennedy lake. We have 2 canoes in and are taking 2 more this winter and have them placed on different lakes. Irving has canoes on the first pond crossing over from Burkes, on Upper Long, on Upper Kennedy and on Lower Kennedy, but they weren't much. From Upper Long it is not far to Melville Lake and we may put a canoe on it as well. The Trout fishing is really good. We have a campsite at 3.5 miles and this is where we camp, we travel and fish from here. Since it has been gated we have met no one else in the area. This trail is a walking trail only but it gives you access to every lake from Burke's to Main Kennedy (7 Lakes or Ponds) and Melville, Burton and Nealis,, Billing and Lower Billings, Plus the lakes and ponds on Burke's outlet.

Grassey lake and the unnamed lake that makes up from Louis lake outlet are also easy to reach if you know the trails. Just letting other fishermen and women know Irving never closed this area just made it better fishing for the few who are willing to walk and spend 3-4 days in some of the most rugged and beautiful parts of our province. Lower Kennedy is a lake that should be seen from the top of the Granites.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone emailed me thinking that upper long is farther in than stated. We cut the trails using GPS and as we park about 1/2 mile off the Renous highway our trail is 4.5 miles to our canoe on upper long lake. No one has found our trails unless told where they are. It is possible to take a 4 wheeler to the first lake which would cut 1 mile off the walk but it is rough and twice as long as our trail so we never do. I would like to see this area opened with better trails to every lake but that would end the fishing, if someone wants to see New Brunswick in it's natural state this is the place to be. The only problem I see is some do 4 wheeler to the first lake and they always leave beer cans,frying pans, tents,broken fishing poles etc. When people learn you carry it in you carry it out then maybe we'll let people know where our trails are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts