New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope everyone's fishing season is going great.

Just wondering if anybody has fished the Kennebecasis lately? Has the fishing slowed down or still good?

Looking to go this weekend for a day out.

MC

·
Registered
67 Posts
i went recently with some good fishing, but i fish the upper streches (CnR) .. havent fished below the mines this year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went recently with some good fishing, but i fish the upper streches (CnR) .. havent fished below the mines this year.
That's good news. I'll more than likely be fishing the C&R section also. Nice size trout there. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's good news. I'll more than likely be fishing the C&R section also. Nice size trout there. thanks for the info.
There is a stream that runs along the Portage Vale Road opposite the Cannan turnoff on Route 1 to Sussex. Is this the Kennebecasis?
If so, is it:
1) Fishable?
2) Catch and Release?
3) Fly fishing only?

Thanks for the help to all who respond.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a stream that runs along the Portage Vale Road opposite the Cannan turnoff on Route 1 to Sussex. Is this the Kennebecasis?
If so, is it:
1) Fishable?
2) Catch and Release?
3) Fly fishing only?

Thanks for the help to all who respond.
Yes that is the Kennebecasis. It is fly fishing only after July 1st. Great fishing mid May until mid June. But from what I hear it can have it's good days all season long.

The C & R section is from the McCully Station RD bridge upstream.

The water is pretty clear but be careful some pools are very deep and the muddy bottom makes for tricky fishing. Best to bring a fishing buddy.

Cheers

MC

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was up there on saturday and sunday had really good fishing caught over 100 fish both days, and some nice size fish. What a beautifull place to fish, they were taking everything you would throw at them, Green Machine, shady lady, brown bug, I was trying and it was working
What a great place for beginners to learn to cast and catch fish

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and just to be clear all fish were released
I hear ya!! We canoed down the stretch between McCully Station Rd and the covered bridge at Plumsweep on Sunday and we caught well over 30 nice size trout.

My buddy kept one but all mine we're released!

I love this river.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yeh I could see how that would work well never used a elk hair caddis before
I caught a nice one on a brown bug with a red tail

·
Banned
169 Posts
water is blown out right now ...needs to drop and clear up
the C&R stretch IMO fishes well during the entire summer as the water stays cold
Dry flies = blue quill, greenwell glory, blue dunn, rat faced mcdougall, royal coachman, royal wulff
bugs = buck bug (my version
), carter bug

IMO I find it fishes best when the water levels are below 7.8 and about 7.4 on the hydro metric chart

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
water is blown out right now ...needs to drop and clear up
the C&R stretch IMO fishes well during the entire summer as the water stays cold
Dry flies = blue quill, greenwell glory, blue dunn, rat faced mcdougall, royal coachman, royal wulff
bugs = buck bug (my version
), carter bug

IMO I find it fishes best when the water levels are below 7.8 and about 7.4 on the hydro metric chart
Is the hydro metric chart the one in Apohaqui?

·
Registered
395 Posts
where is the best place to start fishing in the C&R section.. not the best place but like a good place.... I usually go behind the potash mine .... I think that one side of the bridge is C&R only....

·
Registered
182 Posts
I totally agree with fishing on the C&R side on the Kenebacasis. If you like to hook fish and you don't care about keeping them, it's the place to go! I've seen myself hook into 70 fish in a couple hours. Sure is fun !

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Kennie is starting to fish real good, have been down twice so far this week...water levels are the best I've seen all summer. Lots of big fish moving up the system getting ready to spawn. Tonight's biggest was 16", Sunday night the biggest landed was 18" and lost a 4-5lber that broke my 4lb tippet. Nymphes are working well, and tonight there was a massive hatch of little 18 ginger quills....

I've grown up learning all about trout fly fishing on this river I turned 41 this year and started fishing her when I was 14....where the heck has the time gone. Catch and Release was the best thing they could have done for this magnificent trout stream.

Tight lines folkd!

·
Banned
169 Posts
wow you had some good fishing. I was down early Monday morning and fishing was very slow...I actually thought the water was a bit lower than I would have liked.
It was cold though 58.3 Celsius
we hooked a few but nothing over 12 inches and action was nothing like it is in late June

·
Registered
395 Posts
wow! I probably never fished at the good place then ha ha... I usually go behind the mine in (may/june/july) and the biggest one I have caught in this river since the last few years was 12 inches I think....

I should probably start going in the C&R section for my action?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts