New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These questions come up every season and I know there was a delay in printing the "Fish Book" so I thought I would cover a couple of the local rules for any new guys that might wander this way. The fish book is available on line if you did not get a copy when you bought your license. http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/nr-rn/pdf/en/Fish/Fish.pdf

No Kill / Artificial Lures Only section
All season long, the portion of the river that is upstream from McCully Station Rd in Penobsquis at the Potash Mine is "Live Release Only" all trout must be released. That same section may only be fished using artificial lures, no bait either live or dead, hot dogs, cheese, worms, whatever. Yes, the portion of the river that you can see from the #1 Highway near the campground is part of the no kill / live release only section from the highway downstream to McCully Station and upstream to Ketchums Brook..

Fly Fishing Only
As of July 1, the entire river upstream from the bridge at Bloomfield may only be fished using fly fishing gear. Note that New Brunswick has a specific definition of "fly fishing" which is: "To cast upon the water and retrieve in the usual and ordinary manner an unbaited, unweighted artificial fly attached to a line to which no weight has been added . Trolling with artificial flies is permitted ." So many common trout flies that use cone heads, bead heads, wire wraps for weight, etc are illegal on waters designated as "Fly Fishing Only".

Guide Required
Any non-resident of New Brunswick must be accompanied by a licensed guide on any portion of the river upstream from Norton to the #1 Highway at Penobsquis after June 15.

·
Registered
395 Posts
These questions come up every season and I know there was a delay in printing the "Fish Book" so I thought I would cover a couple of the local rules for any new guys that might wander this way. The fish book is available on line if you did not get a copy when you bought your license. http://www2.gnb.ca/c...n/Fish/Fish.pdf

No Kill / Artificial Lures Only section
All season long, the portion of the river that is upstream from McCully Station Rd in Penobsquis at the Potash Mine is "Live Release Only" all trout must be released. That same section may only be fished using artificial lures, no bait either live or dead, hot dogs, cheese, worms, whatever. Yes, the portion of the river that you can see from the #1 Highway near the campground is part of the no kill / live release only section from the highway downstream to McCully Station and upstream to Ketchums Brook..
So, if someone stand up on the McCully Station bridge, facing the Potash Mine, the right side is C&R and the left side of the bridge is not right? This is what locals had told me a few years ago.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, if someone stand up on the McCully Station bridge, facing the Potash Mine, the right side is C&R and the left side of the bridge is not right? This is what locals had told me a few years ago.
It is better to talk about upstream/downstream since your left/right will change in relation to the river depending on which way you are facing.

In your example, if you stand on the bridge and face the Potash mine you would be looking back toward the highway (roughly South), the river is flowing from your left side to your right. So upstream (catch and release) would be everything to your left.

Just remember that upstream from the bridge is no kill and no bait all season long. Everything from Bloomfield up is fly fishing only as of July 1.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There is a sign also posted on the downstream section that indicates from that point and upriver to Ketchum Brook is C&R and fly only. I spoke to a CO on Friday past and she indicated the same. I also asked about weighted flies and she indicated to me that you could use a nymph or weighted fly up until July1st or something like that.. I am only interested in the weighted fly for the shad run that is supposed to occur in this river.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
If you're standing on the bridge fishing, you're breaking the law.

But seriously though, up river from the bridge is C&R, down river is not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts