New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

im thinking bout doing some kayak striper fishing, im from saint john, and i have a decent sized kayak, i would be fly fishing, any advice/ spots i could try thanks..

C&R

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i kayak fish for stripers all the time. i`ll send you a pm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
iPop, what kind of tackle do you use? I would like to try Striper as well, just need the right rod/reel. What would you recommend for a starter combo.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Artyhunter, are you talking fly fishing for them or using a spinning or baitcast set up? for fly fishing them, 8-10 weight is pretty standard, although some use full tarpon rods, up to 13weight. the main thing is to upgrade your backing to 40lb and a clear intermediate line is a good idea - stripers are surprisingly fly line shy. i also make my own tapered leaders for them. at least half of the time i`m casting to stripers i don`t even get past my leader...untill i hook up! lol! from the kayak you don`t want or need a super long rod (it makes landing them very tricky) however i find it`s a lot like kayaks themselves, sometimes you have to fish with what you`ve got.

for a spinning set up for the kayak, look at the ugly stick regular and ugly stick light rods (parabolic rods with lots of bend!!). you can use the uglystick combos but the reels are not great for it (single position stop and not much line capacity), so i will normally upgrade the reel a bit. still, these combos do work and are a great starting set up for striper fishing from the kayak (and you only pay a couple dollars for the combo over the price of the rod, so basicly a free reel). avoid the surf combos for kayak fishing, it`s not impossible to land fish on them from the kayak, but it certainly isn`t easy. i can`t think of another combo i would use for striper fishing from the kayak, i`m sure i missed a bunch. the key things are parabolic flexability (tons of bend) and a tuff rod - i`ve already had a striper smash my rod off my paddle this year, a plain graphite rod would have broken.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Listen up when pop speakes,theres very few people in the Maritimes that have caught as many Bass, and have his knowledge , and have taken time to teach others to catch Stripers .I aint a butt kisser or nothin, just callin it as it is..Its just how I
am .If i offend someone, someday, sorry I guess i can be a jerk sometimes they say!, but im just passionate about my fishing and outdoor pursuits.Theres some amasing NS Stripermen as well as NBers who fish in NS and NB ,that are super duper lol and bein in NS, if your a striper angler is a great place to be.Lots of different types of loacations and methods to fish for BIG stripers .I believe, and someone correct me if im wrong,that SJ river holds the record for the biggest bass in Canada, and there had been a new junior record made in NS just a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks for the good words NBmudman.

the sj river record unfortunately is not officail, but yes it has the unofficial Canadian record.

sometimes, even if you have gone over what to do when you hook up with a striper, it still can go wrong. that was the case tonight. FlyFisherC&R and i went out fly fishing for stripers from the kayak (not an easy combination!!). water was very high, so high the reversing fallls did not reverse. it was as calm as it gets there. in the first couple hours i had just one hit and FlyFisherC&R wasn`t having any luck. he had to call it a night just at dark. i was ready for some more so i went back out.
there were a lot of fish breaking, gaspereaux etc., no stripers, and when the current finnaly did turn on, it wasn`t much. so just before 10pm i thought i would do one more drift, then call it a night too. i really like the action of the gaspereaux immitating fly i had tied up earlier today, and noticed it pulsed well and looked great on the lift and drop. so i choked up on the line, realy just had the leader out and was working the fly a lot. we had talked about taking a few paddle strokes to set the hook when trolling or setting the hook with the line by a hard strip in. it being the begining of the season, i forgot all of that of course....
it went something like: nab! hmm that definatly felt like a striper. Bang. Bang Bang! striper!...and i set the hook. with the rod. i felt it set...and go soft. then fish gone. i look out at my rod - broken! i`ve landed a number of stripers on broken rods and reals, but not this time.
i should have let him grab it, aimed the rod at him and strip set the hook. something to remind me for next time i guess.

nasty, tastey, rod breaking stripers!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
good to know the bass r there now, where do u think that pop. spawns?i had a 30inch bass break a cheap emery surf rod a few years ago,broke in 3 spots, sounded like glass!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`ve had stripers break a number of rods before, and a few were just like yours NBmudman, they sounded like glass breaking. others did the big SNAP! this one just gave in to superior fire power, it might have made a noise, probabaly did, but i was busy trying to stay hooked up with the striper. i hate losing stripers! lol, it`s all part of the fishing, not catching thing.

it turns out i do have another fly rod heavy enough for stripers, but it needs a little work before it`s ready for the water. i might be able to get the one that broke fixed or do it myself - it may be bambo or resin, it doesn`t look to be fibreglass and isn`t graphite. this was an older rod i bought from a friend in need last year, and i had one of my best salmon years with it, so it has some history and i would like to use it again.

the bass are there, no doubt. so are a gizillion bait fish - they were breaking everywhere, mostly gaspereaux. the stripers might spawn or try to spawn while they are here, but i don`t think they came to the sj to spawn, more likely they followed the bait fish, but that`s a guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wonder what the % of stripers actually spawning is.u here of all these different locations with adult stripers this time of year, when they are supposed to be spawnin

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the adults will all try to spawn, no matter where they are. i`ve seen it a few times, pretty wild to watch. unfortunatly they don`t seem to be spawning where the conditions are right. possibly because they are not native to here (sort of) and are not led back to the right spot at the right time. all of the spawning attempts i`ve seen were a couple weeks late according to the books. why the dam caused conditions in grand lake and belisle to also not work for spawning is a question no one seems to be able to answer yet for sure. the amount of salt seems to be critical, and the amount of silt seems to be deadly (yet the amount of silt should be way less than 40-100 years ago, when the forests were being stripped to the water line). a few trial stocking and just eggs tests would answer a lot of questions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The striped bass you see in the rivers now are native populations. You wouldn't see any non native fish until after May. I've seen them spawning in the Hammond and it was confirmed as a spawning area by an old commercial fishermen from the area who used to net the spot in the spring. He had pictures of 40-60pound stripers he caught there in his nets. The eel fishermen told me they caught very small striped bass (palm of your hand size) and I've caught many 8-10" striped bass in the Hammond and Kennebecasis. Even the researchers whose reports are what the regulations are based on have stated that they believe they spawn in the Hammond and Kennebecasis, but just did not collect any eggs or young of the year. Last year for instance, the water was higher and cooler than normal for the end of May. I caught a 38" at the end of June last year that was bursting with eggs. The stripers were in the same area for at least a month, possibly waiting for ideal conditions to spawn and may never have. When I've kept the odd larger bass in June there were no eggs in the female bass. I always catch stripers starting the end of April or first week of May and these fish are overwintering in our rivers, they most likely don't come in from the ocean. There were always commercial fisheries for stripers in the winter through the ice in Belleisle Bay, until they closed it down because they devasted the population. Apparently at times, the striped bass could be seen through clear spots in the ice trying to get some sunlight.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sorry Bigfish1, but they are not native. the scientist say you can`t find geneticly native stripers on the sj anymore - they would be 40+ years old. the ones in the river now are non locals that have over wintered here, like you say later in the post. it`s small stripers, 2-4" that you need to find to show the stripers spawn successfully. the stories from fishermen are from before the dam and before the collapse. as good as the striper fishing is here now, immagine what it was like back then.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
maybe i spoke hastiely, when did you catch the 8-10"? fom the year we should be able to guestimate the current length. that would give us a slot size to look at for possible sj stripers. it might be better to think of the stripers that overwinter here as locals. they or any other stripers might have gotten lucky and produced some off spring while here. something to look at anyway.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If it were proven that there were spawning striped bass in any river flowing into the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, the fishery will be shut down, so no one wants to say that they do spawn here. The old timers who always keep a striper and belonged to that Striped Bass Association want everyone to believe that all the fish are american and probably a lot of bass in the late summer or early fall at the Reversing falls are. But not the ones far upriver in early spring! or the ones in late fall.

I've seen spawning and I know what I'm talking about, not some newbie who sees fish feeding on the surface and thinks they're spawning. The spot has been confirmed to me by a retired fishermen and even one of the DFO officers believed they spawn there. I believe it was Dadswell or Bradford,( probably the two researchers who have studied striped bass in NB the most) who not only stated they believed the spawn in the area, but based on the areas that they had seined looking for YOY or eggs, they had also known of the spawning area that I know of. I know we could argue about this until we're both blue in the face, however, we're both entitled to our opinions and I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
maybe i spoke hastiely, when did you catch the 8-10"? fom the year we should be able to guestimate the current length. that would give us a slot size to look at for possible sj stripers. it might be better to think of the stripers that overwinter here as locals. they or any other stripers might have gotten lucky and produced some off spring while here. something to look at anyway.
I caught those fish in mid summer about 2 years ago. I caught 6, all identical size, in the same spot. I've also caught at least one striped bass in that size almost every year for the past 10+ years.

To keep the subject on track, kayaking the rivers now might show you some of the stripers that lurk below. If you were on the river everyday, sometimes twice a day, like I used to be able to do, you'd see the same fish in the same sections of river, for days, sometimes weeks. Actually, the local school was spotted before the opening of the season by a person who lives on the river. That's two weeks earlier than I have ever caught or spotted stripers in the rivers. Another indicator of local population!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting debate fellas. I certainly have nowhere near the experience or expertise as either of you on this, but I have to agree with Big on this one. I've seen small 10-14" schoolies caught up river in bunches (mid-summer) which make the fish around a year old or perhaps less. If they're not native, then where are they coming from so quickly? I would have to think that although the striped bass may not be spawning successfully, that there isn't at least some successful spawning in the past 40 years in our massive diverse river system.

On a side note...and I appologize for keeping this thread off the original Kayaking stripers topic, but I'm wondering...can commercial fishermen keep and sell their undersized stiper by-catch? There were 2 little 16" stipers at superstore in Rothesay the other day. First time I've ever seen this.

·
Registered
428 Posts
On a side note...and I appologize for keeping this thread off the original Kayaking stripers topic, but I'm wondering...can commercial fishermen keep and sell their undersized stiper by-catch? There were 2 little 16" stipers at superstore in Rothesay the other day. First time I've ever seen this.
They are farm raised striped bass. Commercial fishermen are allowed the same limit as us recreational fishermen. 1 over 68cm... any more than that or any undersized go back in the harbour belly up for the seagulls.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the super store stripers in sj had a sign that said wild usa striped bass. i took a picture of it, but i don`t think i can show it here...lol. the one i saw his tail was all chewed up. 9.99lb, shows you how much all that money in gear gets you. the atlantic salmon was on for 5.99lb

part of the problem with occasional successful spawning is, since it`s almost all bass from other places (mostly cheasapeak bay), the young would show as geneticly being from some other stock - not sj river stripers. for me, this is no big deal, but it must drive the scientists crazy. it really complicates things. as a family of stripers, the sj river stripers were doomed as a seperate group when the stripers started schooling up and down the atlantics east coast, and making the sj river their major tourist destination. a flood of stripers from everywhere that mostly go home late each fall, leaving some to compete with the locals for spring spawning and deluting the groups genes.

10-14" stripers would be late 2nd year or early third year. that would put them at the size where they start to wànder either around in or away from their spawning river (14 to 24" most commonly to start for any real distance). on the gulf coast striper lead they said that stripers that size were not neccesarily spawned in the river they were found in, which is what is reported in at least some spots elsewhere. the smallest striper i ever saw was 14", the next was 17", and both were in schools of bigger schoolies. i think they have recorded a couple successful spawnings since the dam, but the most recent was in the 70`s i think. it seems logical that it happens every once in a while, but there should be much, much bigger numbers. all those 100,000 stripers in shubie could be from just one or two spawning pairs of stripers (hopefully not for good genetic diversity but possible). it makes me wonder just how diverse the striper genes really are.

so have any of you guys been taken on a nantuckette sleigh ride by a striper? how fast they pull you in calm water is impressive, while hauling you along at speed in a heavy chop - up current is awe inspiring! i have however learned that they have a few more tricks to show me fly fishing them...lol! i tried for them again the other night on spinning gear - no luck. nothing was hitting on top water and the current was way out in mid river. hopefully better action next time out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
the super store stripers in sj had a sign that said wild usa striped bass. i took a picture of it, but i don`t think i can show it here...lol. the one i saw his tail was all chewed up. 9.99lb, shows you how much all that money in gear gets you. the atlantic salmon was on for 5.99lb

part of the problem with occasional successful spawning is, since it`s almost all bass from other places (mostly cheasapeak bay), the young would show as geneticly being from some other stock - not sj river stripers. for me, this is no big deal, but it must drive the scientists crazy. it really complicates things. as a family of stripers, the sj river stripers were doomed as a seperate group when the stripers started schooling up and down the atlantics east coast, and making the sj river their major tourist destination. a flood of stripers from everywhere that mostly go home late each fall, leaving some to compete with the locals for spring spawning and deluting the groups genes.

10-14" stripers would be late 2nd year or early third year. that would put them at the size where they start to wànder either around in or away from their spawning river (14 to 24" most commonly to start for any real distance). on the gulf coast striper lead they said that stripers that size were not neccesarily spawned in the river they were found in, which is what is reported in at least some spots elsewhere. the smallest striper i ever saw was 14", the next was 17", and both were in schools of bigger schoolies. i think they have recorded a couple successful spawnings since the dam, but the most recent was in the 70`s i think. it seems logical that it happens every once in a while, but there should be much, much bigger numbers. all those 100,000 stripers in shubie could be from just one or two spawning pairs of stripers (hopefully not for good genetic diversity but possible). it makes me wonder just how diverse the striper genes really are.

so have any of you guys been taken on a nantuckette sleigh ride by a striper? how fast they pull you in calm water is impressive, while hauling you along at speed in a heavy chop - up current is awe inspiring! i have however learned that they have a few more tricks to show me fly fishing them...lol! i tried for them again the other night on spinning gear - no luck. nothing was hitting on top water and the current was way out in mid river. hopefully better action next time out.
3s

I wonder how many are from the Hudson river stock and the rest of the New England rivers that come up in the late summer/ early fall? I was talking to the owner of the Tackle Shop on India St in Portland Maine and he said he only caught 8 stripers last year or the year before. Usually he said it was way bigger numbers. He believed it had something to do with the netting of a huge school of pogy one summer. The success rate at the Reversing falls is hugely reliant on what goes on in New England. Ipop, myself and others had great sucess at the shuttle dock a few years ago, then the school showed up later one summer, then real late and now, I rarely if ever bother with that area.

As far as the sleigh ride, I don't own a yak yet, but have tried getting into big stripers with my pontoon and could only get a bunch of schoolies. I lost half of one paddle and haven't had her out for a few years. By the way, did anyone find half a paddle sticking out of the mud at the Kennedy St launch about 3 years ago

The striped bass I lost (the heavy jig hook sprung on the hookset!) and my dad hooked a couple weeks ago would have pulled you out to sea, Ipop. 47 1/2" and 45lbs. At least the ol' timer didn't beat my best length, just tied it. I caught one the same length a few years ago around the same time of year, but it was about 10-12lbs lighter.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
if the bigger ones are energetic, at some point you end up fighting them with the kayak and paddle instead of the rod. eventually when they get a little tired i will tow them in to calm still water and finish the fight there. towing them between the chanell markers is always fun! i`ve had them pull up along side me and even pass me on the outside. it`s pretty wild when you are towing one and he zooms up along side to get wacked in the head with a paddle, then rockets off again. landing them without a fish grip or boga is tuff and a bit dangerous because of the hooks - i find the fish grip gives you the best safety and control of the fish, so better for both of us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts