New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey kayakers; I've never even been in a kayak, but I see how popular it's becoming. I spend half the year in Florida and they're pretty popular down there as well. There's a kayak called the Hobie Mirage that you pedal, you don't have to paddle, so your hands are free. There's an ad for it on this page many times. Anyhow, I'm thinking about buying a used one when I'm down and giving it a try for the heck of it and then bringing it up. I'm pretty sure I'll still be a motor guy, so I'll probably sell it when I get back. Are any of you kayakers up here familiar with that Mirage pedal drive style? If so, what are your thoughts on them? Any idea what a decent used one might go for up here? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the mirage is a good system, easy to use and very popular. heavier than a normal kayak, a trailer would be a good idea for it. the peddle drive is removeable for transport and skinny water.

what price do they go for used? i have no idea but i will take a look around the kayak sites. a guess would be half to a third off retail price, depending on condition. you could take it to the kayak tournies, there is almost always some one looking at picking up a new kayak at them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ipop, you're always helpful, a great asset to a small forum like this. Good idea about taking it to a tourney. The cheapest I've seen a used one for is $1,200. That's without the chance to dicker though. I never thought about putting it on a trailer. I know I can get a really cheap trailer down there. Maybe pick up a kayak/canoe trailer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
from what I have seen and heard, they are very good for fishing, especially in wind or current. I suspect there is a learning curve, but then trying to fish in wind and current in a paddled kayak has a learning curve as well.

I suspect the resale price on a good conditioned hobie would be good. There don't seem to be a lot around, but there is a lot of interest (relatively speaking). Good luck if you go for it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts