New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a new Ocean Kayak Trident 13 for trout and bass fishing. It was two flush mount rod holders behind the seat. I was wondering if I could just put my rods in the rod holders and paddle to troll.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes you can. I've not done it much, and have had less success. I do know that there are a lot of kayak anglers that do, and have great success, so I will let them speak to the that.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
The trick is to set your drag so that when you get a fish on, you hear the drag buzzing. Set it so that it's still tight enough for a hook set, but not too tight that the fish cannot run the line. Then you grab your rod, tighten the drag and bring 'em in.

Another way (and quite popular) is to hold the line in your hand (from the reel to the first ferrule) as you are paddling. It gives it a nice twitch as you paddle, and when you get a hit, you feel it right away and can give a good jerk to set the hook.

You will eventually tweek your new yak to suit it for your kayak fishing needs. One way is to get yourself a Scotty rod holder (canadian tire usually has some or you can order online) and install them on your yak. You can also find a milk crate and attach pvc piping about a foot or two long in the corners with zip ties to hold your rods.

Tight lines, and welcome aboard.
You should sign up to the Hammond River Classic and NB Paddlers Fishing Derby. If you pre-sign, you'll get a swag bag with cool stuff, including a Canadian Kayak Anglers hat!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trick is to set your drag so that when you get a fish on, you hear the drag buzzing. Set it so that it's still tight enough for a hook set, but not too tight that the fish cannot run the line. Then you grab your rod, tighten the drag and bring 'em in.

Another way (and quite popular) is to hold the line in your hand (from the reel to the first ferrule) as you are paddling. It gives it a nice twitch as you paddle, and when you get a hit, you feel it right away and can give a good jerk to set the hook.

You will eventually tweek your new yak to suit it for your kayak fishing needs. One way is to get yourself a Scotty rod holder (canadian tire usually has some or you can order online) and install them on your yak. You can also find a milk crate and attach pvc piping about a foot or two long in the corners with zip ties to hold your rods.

Tight lines, and welcome aboard.
You should sign up to the Hammond River Classic and NB Paddlers Fishing Derby. If you pre-sign, you'll get a swag bag with cool stuff, including a Canadian Kayak Anglers hat!
Thanks,

I will be sure to sign up this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I troll all the time when I paddle from one place to the next and I have a scotty rod holder in front of me that holds the rod out to the side, you can see any pick up. I also have 2 behind me to store my extra rods, If you want to see my setup I will be fishing this week end on the Hammond.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
str00ver gave a good discription of how to troll using the back rod holders. personaly, not for me 99% of the time. i like to have a better feel and view of what my rods are doing. you get much better feel if you tuck the rod under one thigh and over the other or against the gunnell on a sis. angle it forward and you can troll without the paddle interfering with the line, although i will often do just that on purpose to give the lure more action, just like tugging on the line. using a scotty or other rod holder front mounted is very similar to this except for the feel. try it on both sides, you will probabley have to move it back and forth occassionaly if it's slow fishing, you won't need to if they are slaming, and you will probabaley ahve a preferance once you try it. if you position just the butt of the rod below the reel under the thigh, and have the reel facing up, your drag will be uneffected and work best. when you have a hit or just want to adjust the lure etc, swing/turn the yak to the side you are trolling on, it will make life less...messsy! and also avoid fighting a fish with the line running under the kayak.

you can also, especialy if you are trying to run shallow or with extra action, postion the rod across your chest, from seat to shoulder. not as easy with some rods, very easy with a big pickeral ice fishing rod, it's okay but not for everyone.

the bass will normally self hook up when trolling cranks or even bass worms or spoons. the trout sometime require a more quick transition from trolling to reeling, and you can some times have one come unbuttoned before you get the rod in your hands if you are using hook and worm or spinner or fly - a crank normally still hooks up every time. you at useing a fast action or parabolic rod for this, especialy for land lochs.

don't surf and troll.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts