New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
I just purchased an Ocean Kayak Trident13 this spring, and love it. I've added an anchor trolley system to it, and it works well. I'd like to get a fish finder, but that will likely have to wait until next year. I've already spent enough on kayak and fishing gear this year as it is. [Ok, technically not 'enough'. Let's just say as much or more than I should spend.]

I found a couple other kayak anglers in the Fredericton area. So far we have spent the most amount of time on the Nashwaak River, with some on the Saint John, Mactaquac headpond and French Lake (the one off the Oromocto River).

· Registered
480 Posts
I used this site as my base plan, though I made some minor adjustments based on material availability.
http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Prowler_AnchorTrolley.htm

@owenheathcote... I had the same problem. At first I tried having a spool to wind it back up with but I found myself not doing it, and it just tangled up as normal. I switched out the rope system. I now use a retractable 50' clothesline (about $25 at Canadian Tire) for the anchor rope. It winds itself up and I can now focus on fishing more. Now it only gives me about 40' of anchor line so it is no good in deep water. But so far it has done the trick.

I'll also try and take some pics. You can never have too many options to choose from when deciding what is right for you! There always seems to be pros and cons to everything.

· Registered
480 Posts
ipop... your advice is definitely welcome. It's also a sobering thought. I do have some questions for you on this topic. What type of current or wind were you encountering when you had troubles? Do you mind describing some of the bad situations you were in? The more we can all learn from your experiences, the better prepared we can be.

Personally I've never kayaked in water that was faster than I could paddle, as I always have to be able to get back to my launch area. As a result I've never been in really fast current. I prefer to kayak upstream then work my way back down slowly, using the anchor to stop myself at areas I want to spend some time fishing. I'll use the trolley to switch the anchor from front to back depending on the angle I need best.

· Registered
480 Posts
I`m not sure how I missed these last few posts!

ipop, thanks for sharing those stories. It does sound like a particularly bad set of scenarios. I can`t say I have been in any situation like that, but it does make you think about things. One of the features I have always wanted in my anchor system is the ability to just let the thing go... either from cutting the line or letting the entire system be set free.

Unfortunately I've never been towed by any striper. I'd like to rectify this, though doing it at the reversing falls might not be my first choice!

· Registered
480 Posts
Agreed Stroover. Here is a link to a site that has a great system for an anchor. I used this as my starting point and made some adjustments for part availability. This includes a couple of photos of the "safety mechanism" on your anchor.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Prowler_AnchorTrolley.htm

I can't stress enough that if you feel you are in trouble with your anchor, let it go. Even if there is no chance of ever seeing it again. It's a few dollars for rope and anchor, and not worth risking your life or dumping you in the water. Chances are if you are fishing and get dumped you will lose more in equipment than you would have lost by jettisoning your anchor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.