New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,676 Posts
guys, just a heads up, but the easiest way i know to die in a kayak fishing is to use an anchor...!!! (okay, maybe trying to pee standing up in one...)
no lol involved.
i have used many systems over the years, even one just as you guys use. i don't any more. you see, i fish where there is current and wind. these are places and times when you should never anchor. if you are on calm water, no current or wind - anchoring is fine, although i find i don't need it (i have been 'yak fishin' longer that i want to admit...lol).

the problems are, when the winds gust or curent hits, or what happened most often to me - if you are working your way down stream by just bouncing the anchor off the bottom. when trouble hits, suddenly you are turned sidways by the current, heel over into it...and if you are lucky just get wet. with the stern anchor and pulleys - what do you do when it's hung up? (i ended up swimming!!) with a wire rope anchor line, you better have a pair of bolt cutters ready on you. (speaking of which, for night time or unknown area fishing ((and most other times too...)) i alway have a sharp knife lose in a sheath ready at hand, a pair of plyer, bailer, lip griper and a form of light...and i have needed them all. but only the knife has saved my life 4 times now. so please keep this in mind.)
after what happened last year i have added a pair of bolt cutters to this list, i was seriously hooked twice last year.

now, i'll confess i do anchor occassionaly, and when i do i use a rope line, often a 3 lt pop bottle or big bleach bottle, with lots of holes and some rocks in it for an anchor (doesn't get hung up easily, weighs little with just the a few rocks to take it down, and has the weight of it full of water (3lt's!) when down and used as an anchor). my main safty trick for this is...

wait for it...

to run the anchor rope under my butt! that's right, i sit on it! lol that way if the anchor gets hung up, or i just want to release more line, i just bounce in the chair and release the line. and i don't tie to the yak at all, just running it out from a rope bag in the back of the yak. been there , made the mistakes, i hope you guys avoid them...or only get wet.

have i ever told you about the time i was 'yak fishing for char on the fly while anchored and running a minnow trap...? lots of fun!! it wraped 3 times around the whole thing!! i landed it by hauling in all the lines i a bunch and then waiting for it to swim close and got it in my net!..and then i got to untangle a real mess...lol ah, fishin' - i can't wait!

gotta go, tight lines!

· Registered
1,676 Posts
stroover, you are correct, i use a SIK. the one i'm using now is a little differnet from most - a much larger opening with no skirt(easier to land fish, access gear without turning to the back of the yak); a raised platform on the back for drier transport and easy storage; expanded storage inside in the back due to the raised platform. and it's very light - under 30#. i've been making 'yaks for a little over 30years. on my first couple i experimented with anchor systems - from the center, the stern, the back of the seat (OHPS!! DON'T TRY THAT ONE!!lol!), then i got into pulley systems, working my way up to a trolly like system. the trolly was great...except i had a few "jams" while developing it, that got me a bit swamped. it should be noted that most SIK's do float, even when totaly swamped, like mine does. it's just little crazy chasing your gear down stream..lol!!!
after all the different methods, i settled on the sit-on-it method i described above. if there was a problem, in just let the rope go, if there was to much current it just wouldn't let me do something stupid (lets face ity, we do get distracted when fishing some times...lol!!). if i expected current i ran the rope out threw a stern pulley or handle, if little current or wind i would just run it over the side.

oh, i left one thing out of my "always" list - a life jacket!!! i don't even think of 'yaking without it or a floater coat. never!

· Registered
1,676 Posts
stroover, are you sure we are allowed to use more than 1 rod at a time in tidal waters? where did you find that one? i know we are allowed to have as many with us as we like, i just haven't seen anything that said we are allowed any more than one being used at a time. i feel a little silly asking, since i spend half the year fishing tidal waters!!lol!!!

· Registered
1,676 Posts
Bobd, i'd be happy to give a few tales for example.

not suprisingly,some of the more dangerous situations happen at night fishing stripers. they like to feed in heavy current and eddies it forms ( a lot of the time anyway...), so you are in a position of trolling a crank or swimbait, paddling the whole time, yet the gear and 'yak basicly stay in the same place. just the motion from paddling keeps the gear moving and teasing - perfect for cranks!! however, i have several times now gotten hung up with other gear and lines stuck to structure. so suddenly you go from paddling happily away in the dark to being stuck1 no more forward motion... so now you drift back to over the problem, try to flip it off (still thinking it's just a rock...no lol!)...and no luck, you have to keep the yak balanced between how far ahead and to the side you can go. i have learned the hard way not to just drift all the way back to the end of the line!! be carefull with this! i used to do this in day light all the time, it's an easy way to pop it off a rock. except in this case if you drift back to far...big problems! if the line is over or caught on the bow, the bow of the 'yak will dip or go completely under!! this will probabley pop you off to the side and flip the yak! soooooo avoid that! if the rod is fine (clear and pointed toward the problem) and you come to the end, it will either take your rod, or if you hold on anyway, again dump you in the water. so, do avoid that.
then, as i said, the actual problem was my lure was caught up with other lines and lures, so i made the incredible decision not to cut my line (like a dummy! i'm still alive so lol!...) instead i started hauling myself up the line i was stuck on (striper line is often 30# - it will not break from the pull of a yak). and now i find myself with a lot of line wraped around my right hand...and i can't pull the tangleing line free AND i can't break it...and now i can't reach my knife!!! @#$%^&!!!!! to be polite...lol! luckily i thought of my clips i had hanging from my neck! aha! so , here i was, at night, in current, line wrapped now quite painfully around my hand, and i'm bending over so i can reach the tangle with the short clips line, now nibbling away at this ball of nastyness...and the whole time i'm trying to one handed paddle to keep the kayak in position so i don't flip and drown! a little more fun than i had planned. the next time it happened i cut the line, then went back for the gear on the next tide, but even then it was tricky. i'm afraid this sort of situation has happened a few times, and more with several of the parts of it.

i have to thank Guy Leblanc for first telling me about having a sharp knife handy. he used to work at eastern and liked to kayak himself. he's a big man, and afraid of very little, so he haddn't thought he needed a knife with him...yup. so he was out playing in a yak one day in the neripis. he goes to try a few eskimo rolls since it was a hot, sunny day. the first was fine and refreashing. the second almost killed him!! he had been drifting down stream, when he rolled over there was an old net and tie line under water...and he was stuck against it by current!! he managed to get his pocket knife out, found out quickly that it was dull (omg!!!) and managed to to barely get himself free only because the net was rotten. after that he kept a divers knife straped to his vest and another mounted on the yak, just in case.

enough of the nasty stuff! have you ever been towed towards the reversing falls by a 34# striper?!! way more fun than it sounds!!!! he had a quarter mile to go, lol, and i won that fight! (he did roll me onto my side in 3" of water at the end, but that's another story...lol)

· Registered
1,676 Posts
Hmmm, it's quiet on this lead.
i've been fishing a lot of species here and there, paddling in the 'yak. i even took a bit and did some of the work on it it needs - wood is light but takes maintanancce occassionaly. i've been landing speck's, browns and smallies in the 'yak, no sizeable land loch so far this year, and i'm still searching for my first striper in the yak (or any striper...!) this season. by my records i caught my first stripers june 22 last year - one on a storm swim bait and one on a magnum bomber shallow runner. for pattern i matched the hatch...give ya'all something to think about.

· Registered
1,676 Posts
str00ver, sorry i missed your reply too. i guess we have to keep this lead more active, or i need more free time at work (bad time to think that - my job just went away, now i'll be training people to do mine and do something else here after that. big change, less money after 10 years).
thanks for the rod regs info, you also Reg. i'll try it out tonight. immagine a 2 striper kayak sleigh ride! yahoo!! of course, if it's like the last time i hooked into 2 stripers, they will break the rod. maybe i should reinforce the kayak?!! lol! use reins instead of line?? lol
it would be crazy with the yak in a school of mackeral, you would probabley lose a rod overboard. hmmmm, double umbrella rig?!!!!
i can't wait!

· Registered
1,676 Posts
BobD, i just couldn't use an anchor system that i can't completely release anymore. i realy haven't used an anchor in the last few years.

as a follow up to the kayak stories, only the day after i wrote about the line problem in current, and how tricky and dangerous it can be, sure enough i hook into a pile of line on the bottom, again connected to what looked like old canvas straps. at least it was day light and there were a couple people on shore to spot me, but still a tricky situation... then 2 minutes later i got hung up on a deep underwater post and after several attempts in increasing current i lost the same gear i had just rescued, using the handy knife to cut the line.

ps: you can rarely if ever just break off your line in a kayak, the line is stronger than what it takes to roll you over, at least in most cases. there is a trick, but i'm going to ignore it for now, it's dangerous and deffinatly not for novices...or sensible people!! and of course i've tried/done it a few times... sort of lol

· Registered
1,676 Posts
getting stuck reminds me to remind ya' all how important it can be to have a very flexable, preferably parabolic rod. it' was a little tricky after getting hung up while shore fishing, then taking that rod out in the yak, and trying to get at something below me. ugly sticks, abu garcia work best for me.

· Registered
1,676 Posts
i'm with you there styk, hiding from the sun is important. i now wear 2 hat's when fishin' most times. the "top" hat is a wide, floppy brimed hat to keep the sun off. the "lower" hat i wear underneath the other...so i can see!! lol, the floppy is to floppy for wind in the yak, yet the ball cap if i just wear it alone, gets my ears and neck burned off, and without the tie down from the floppy hat, i lose my ball cap hat kayaking in heavy wind.

i'm sensitve to temperature changes, so i wear long sleve shirts and sweaters all th time too.
i now wear gloves when fishing in the daylight, just heavy cotton with the finger cut off for line feel, casting etc.

and i have just successfully completed my latest series of treatments to get rid of another skin cancer, so i am again cancer free, which feels good. keep this in mind when you are out in the sun and go to the doctor if you have any fast growing skin problem - they can be easy to fix when small, nasty and lengthy when they get bigger, better safe than sorry.

· Registered
1,676 Posts
i just got my kayak back after 2 weeks without it. i'm hoping to use it tonight but the rain, water or other liquid might stop me (my last attempt was foiled by a popped and broken gas line - gas sprayed all over the top of my engine! ahhhh!!!!).
here striper. here striper!!!!
i'm also looking forward to trolling streamers for salmon in the ocean. it's a long drive but i think the worst the fishing will get is i'll be slamin' mackeral.
i just realized i'll have to check the regs there for hook type - either way, i plan to try it. i've researched a couple of "cold spots" and upwells just off shore. mine is not a sea kayak, so i have to keep in mind the level of chop i'll have to land in. i'm hoping my new gripper will be here by then, if not my cheap-o spare will still do the trick - i hope! lol!

· Registered
1,676 Posts
well, it was an exciting kayaking week. i never had a chance to try trolling for salmon, maybe next time. i did figure out some great new ideas...and they almost did me in! lol, it's always something.....

here's the stories.
first, i got to fish mackeral from my yak! yahooo! great fun! a little tricky with a mackeral rig, especialy when it's full of mack's!!! i eventualy was using the rig that caught the least!! imagine! and that's what lead up to the first of my great idea's...that weren't so great in the long run. i was using a fish keeper i bought at the $ store. just snap the neck, take out the hook and dunp it into this netted fish keeper, which at first i tied to my seat, and then just clipped to my life jacket...ohps - sounded good at the time, and in perfect conditions, worked great! no mackeral mess in my yak. i'll eventualy get to the not-so-good stuff.

the second great idea was to use my bailer to keep my other mackeral lures on - i justset the hook into the bailer at the top, then i could just rip it out when i needed it. simple , eh? hmmm, again, worked in perfect conditions....

so now, the not so perfect part. one day we had a fairly heavy sea, but the birds were all over the macks, soooo i decide to play in the heavy stuff. for those that don't know, i use a sit in kayak, so it's sure not designed for this, especial since i don't use a splash skirt. so i leave my wallet on shore, and head out to do battle! lol, the fishing was great but i started taking the occassional breaking wave over the side. facing into it wouldn't help, they just roll over the entire yak that way, so it was time for some quick bailing...and the [email protected]#$%^!!!! bailer has become hooked onto the fish saver net! ahhhhhhhh!!!! and i take another wave over the side! rats! much worse words!!!! my brain hits overdrive and comes up with 2 solutions - try ripping it from the net...or get outa there! since i had found the problem by not ripping it from tthe net, i don't taqke the time to try again...and take another wave over the side. holy cow, gotta go! i start for shore and grab a wave right off the bat - ie; i'm surfing a wave into shore, by far the fastest way i can get there. i'm having to paddle hard to stay up on the wave, eventualy falli8ng off it. as i'm puttin the peddal to the metal, i notice that every time i take astroke on the right side, that side of the yak is going under water! ahhhh!!! after a few more strokes i sneak a peak at the back of the yak...and it's under water! im knew i should have finished those renovatuions..... did i mention ahhhhhhhhhhh! okay, i give it a couple more hard strokes and pull up my legs, getting ready to bail ot myself...and the front of the yak pops up...and throws me out the back with a nice backwards summersault. expecting to have to do some swimming, instead i stand up to find up to the top of my chest in water! thank you fishin gods! i start hauling things into shore...and can't get out of the water! what the ...?! it turned out instead of losing my mackeral it was still attached to my life jacket and now stuck to the bottom! luckily i get it lose and every thing in almost - i lost that bailer but not the gear it had in it!
so that was a couple of new ideas...don't try them except in perfect conditions!
lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.