New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Please keep in mind that the website will be updated with more information as we go forward, so bookmark it and check in periodically.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
aha! it has the dates! i'll post this all over;

hampton/hammond river: july 16&17
oromocto: june 11&12

nearby in Nova Scotia, weymouth: april 30& may1

for those traveling out of paradise (better known as the maritimes...lol!):
winsor ON, june 25
red deer AB, june 25

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's the link to the website advertising the cross-country tour, including the two being hosted in New Brunswick: http://xkfx.ca/home
If its anything like the hammond river kayak competion held last year then its a sure thing to attend.Last year me and my cousin won the under 16 group and there were many great prizes to choose from and i hope to see all you there

·
Registered
492 Posts
@hammondriver... the Hammond River tournament is the same tournament you were at last year! The Oromocto tournament will be very similar, just a different location. Come and enjoy them both!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
okay, i have put in to have both NB tourneys off work and the fishing day of the NS one too (which i still have to decide if i'm going to - it's prime fishing time here in NB and i may be going for what has become our annual lake trout trip then, it will all depend on the thaw timing...
)

with side ways snow and frezing rain outside right now, i'm dreaming about attending in nice, above-freezing weather. come to think of it, i'm jonesing so much for fishing i would go fish a tourney right now even in the winter mess that's coming down! i have a portable shack and can travel (i just bought a hand held gps....maybe i could test it out in the white out we are getting - not just for fishing - also to find my way home from work!!!!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
@hammondriver... the Hammond River tournament is the same tournament you were at last year! The Oromocto tournament will be very similar, just a different location. Come and enjoy them both!
ill see what i can do, My cousin and I are are hoping too attend hampton , hammond river , and Possibly Oromomocto

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
nick, it's on the hammond river, from the green train bridge down to the kennebicasis river - they will give us exact bounderies at the tourney. we put in at the Hammond river salmon associations lodge by the next bridge up and have the presentations, etc. there.

your age is no problem, we had fishers down to 8 years old last year i think.

for fish, we are competing for the most different species of fish. in the case of a tie, then we look at who caught the biggest fish. you have to take a digital camera with you, so you can take pictures of the fish, it's a catch and release tourney. last year it was raining and windy - not great for fishing most species, but the smallies were on fire! i think i caught about 80 smallies! almost all very small, but every species (i think it was all had to be over 4") counts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
nick, it's on the hammond river, from the green train bridge down to the kennebicasis river - they will give us exact bounderies at the tourney. we put in at the Hammond river salmon associations lodge by the next bridge up and have the presentations, etc. there.

your age is no problem, we had fishers down to 8 years old last year i think.

for fish, we are competing for the most different species of fish. in the case of a tie, then we look at who caught the biggest fish. you have to take a digital camera with you, so you can take pictures of the fish, it's a catch and release tourney. last year it was raining and windy - not great for fishing most species, but the smallies were on fire! i think i caught about 80 smallies! almost all very small, but every species (i think it was all had to be over 4") counts.
how much does it cost

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much does it cost
The price this year is yet to be determined. Last year it was $25/person, and under 12 fished for free if accompanied by an adult. This year we are part of a nationnal tournament, so it's possible that the price will be a little more, but I'm trying my best to keep it at around $25 again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The price this year is yet to be determined. Last year it was $25/person, and under 12 fished for free if accompanied by an adult. This year we are part of a nationnal tournament, so it's possible that the price will be a little more, but I'm trying my best to keep it at around $25 again.
how do they tell the winner? is it the most fish, biggest fish, do we have to measure, weight, ETC?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nick, yes canoes are also allowed in both of the provinces CKA kayak tournaments. (Hammond River Classic and Paddler's Fishing Derby)

Also for both events, the winner is the person who lands the highest number of different species. Size only matters in the event of a tiebreaker. So if the top two people land 8 different species, then you would add the length of the largest of each of your 8 species. Total longest length wins.

So if someone goes out and spends all of their time trying to land a big old striped bass or sturgeon, they could easily lose to the guy who goes around getting perch, sunfish, catfish, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts