New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new anchor for my trident 13 but I don't know how to set it up. I have fifty feet of rope so it all gets in the way. how can I keep the rope out of the way. Any ideas on rigging my anchor.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Personally i have used a retractable clothing line. You can usually get them at Kent's or Home Depot for $20ish. It gives you 50' of nylon line and helps keep the line out of the way. I've also heard of people using retractable dog leashes, but I've not tried it. I know the ones I saw were shorter than 50'.

I use line in conjunction with an anchor trolley system. If you do a google search on "ocean kayak anchor trolley" you will get lots of good hits and hints on how to rig one up.

Another option if you don't like the clothing line idea is to look for a kite reel. Again, I have never tried it, but it looks like it could work really well. It requires a manual cranking to wind it up, but it can hold a lot more line. They are pretty cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A dive reel imo is the best way to go.. no tangles, can hold a tonne of rope..
I use Paracord,and have about a 250ft line. keep in mind, i fish saltwater mostly and can be in 100-150ft at any given time
I also suggest adding a length of chain to your anchor to ensure it lays flat when its on bottom.
50ft for me isnt enough, but if your fishing mostly lakes then I guess that would suffice.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hi brendan!
for now, use a boat bag for that rope. any med. bag will do, but a small pack or school bag works well something that will zip or tie up. put all the rope in the bag so it can easily feed out. any excess line just keep in the bag. this helps a lot. next, i never hard connect the anchor to the yak - been there/done that and found a better solution. run the line under your butt instead! this helps with the line everywhere problem and allows you to easily reach the line at all times. if there is a sudden emergency, just bounce and let out more line or let the line go if needed.
the trolley system is a fair solution, especialy for positioniong the yak to the anchor, but they can be a pain when they jam or freeze up.

you could use the chain on the anchor, but that`s really for bigger boats, or just use the chain and no other anchor. i prefer to use a 2-3 ltr pop or milk plastic bottle with a bunch of small holes in the upper half and lots of pebbles in the jug. when it`s in the water it fills up and has the mass/weight to hold you in place, and the ease of just the empty bottle with pebbles out of the water. this also dosn`t get caught on the bottom to often and is no
big dollar loss when you do lose it. lenght of rope is normally 3 times the depth you are anchoring but you should be able to get away with a lot less - if you need that much you are in to heavy a current to safely anchor a kayak in my experience.
i hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts