New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello all.

Just got set up with a Ren Zetti vise and a few tools and have tied a couple pheasant tail nymphs. Still getting the hang of it but I think I am gonna enjoy this alot.

Here is the pattern I have been using but instead of hares fur dubbing (couldn't find any at the fly shop) I am using pea cock hurls and I am adding to strips of flashabou over the thorax to give the impression the nymph is getting rdy to emerge. Only problem is I have no natural pheasant tail only green and yellow but it still makes for good practice. I am keeping my nice jobs and stripping my hooks of the bad jobs. I picked up some 15-20 yr old mustad hooks and I am being cheap with them.

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/patterns/pheasant-tail-nymph/

Thanks for the info on the books in the other topic.

Out of 27 flies ranging from size 8 nymph hooks to size 12 nymphs I have tied 2 very very well. Gotta keep praticing. Anything bigger than size 10 was just for practice and trying new techniques. The are all new to me right now

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats on getting into fly tying. It is great fun and I find very relaxing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tying a few San Juan worms both brown and red of various sizes. These are really easy to tie.

Was thinking of tying some size 14 PT with red ultra chenille for the thorax. Might try to tie some teeny nymphs also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts