New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder to all as you're getting ready to put your fly fishing equipment away... most normally do a little cleaning to the rod and clean/wax the casting line before putting the rod into her case for the long winter in store.... well before putting her to bed for the winter, be sure to adjust the drag down (least resistance) on the reel. Leaving tension on the drag setup will fatigue any and all springs used in the drag mechanism... it's best to do this through out the season as well, each time you come home, turn the drag down then readjust when you get back to fishing again. Doing this you should get added use out of the reel before having to perform repairs. I read this somewhere, it sounded like good advice at the time...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about waders? I know some people wash them before storing them. I turn them inside out and hang them in the basement.
good suggestion for those who have waders that require separate footwear. My waders have the boots on the bottom, i should was them out and let them dry... a couple of times i got pretty hot walking to fishing spot... i had left them in the truck in the summer... when I went to use them.. WOW they stank! don't think Febreeze would help! lol

·
122 Posts
stocking foot waders can be washed down with a mild detergent (ie: dish soap) and store in a cool dry place.

Great advice for the drag system. Some older gents would peel off the floating line from their reel in order for the line to ''memorize'' a more open coil over the winter months, and not that thight spiral from the reel arbor.

I haven't done this for quite a while, it seems that the newer fly lines have less memory I guess.

It's been a great season for me Salmon wise....trout wise, well I coulda done better, but didn't put in the time I guess with other commitments, ah well, I'll get that 5 pounder brookie next year around the bend

1 - 5 of 5 Posts