New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
gibbs and normark make commonly used mackerel lures as do a number of other manufatures like buzz bomb. basicly they are all heavy lures, mostly made of lead, and are either shinny, flashy or bright colored. they are used often with mackerel rigs - premade rigs of 3 to 6 mackerel flies or dressed hooks or fish skins or something similar (these can also be fished with just a weight at the end instead of a mackerel lure), all pre tied on a heavy line, with or without swivels and snaps. most places that sell fishing gear and a lot of the corner stores along the coast have these mackerel lures.

you can just cast and retreave; cast, let it drop and retreave; cast, let it drop, lift, reel, drop, lift, repeat; or if the bottom isn`t to bad, cast , let it drop to the bottom, then lift and drop, lift and drop. the lure flutters on the drop, which mackerel consider prime tastey bait.

doirons has the mackerel rig i found worked best last year, i haven`t been able to find them anywhere else. mackerel rigs are fairly inexpensive and this one is too, so i bought a couple this year, just in case...

have fun fishing the mack`s of the wharfs Gloomisforlife.

ps: they catch polluck too!

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
The big thing about mackerel fishing is to catch any, you first gotta find them, and when fishing from a wharf you're pretty much at the mercy of the tide. Once they come by with the tide, it doesn't really matter what you throw at them as long as you keep it within 6' and 12' (which is what happens when you jig your rod with twelve feet of line out).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
birds certainly help spot the big schools of mack`s but you can also troll for them from a boat, or power fish. either way, once you hook up you have probabaly found a school of them. i almost always find a school on the way to the birds, lol! no matter what the tide, be sure to cast from the wharf after a big engined ship goes in or out. they stir up the bottom and often that`s all it takes for any mack`s in the area to turn on. same for flat fish too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
best mac rig i ever foound was available only at the hoomehaedware store or the "fish dealer" behind teh esso station in shediac it's a cryatal falsh rig of 5 hooks on a mono line . hook a "walmart minnow" on the end for weight and uyou are all set was hauling them in 6 at a time with it.
the flash rig is a bit different from others as it has a sort of holographic piece if plastic forled over thw top gret rigs i bought 4 last time i was there and only abt $5 each

1 - 7 of 7 Posts