New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am buying a kayak this summer and I was thinking about getting the pelican castaway 130 sit on top kayak. I need to know if its a good kayak for hammond river. Here is a link to the website. My link

I am also using it for fishing in case you are wondering.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
When you first mentioned "Pelican", my initial reaction was "no good". But having looked at the site, it actually doesn't look too bad at all. It's got good lenght and beam, so it should track well and still be pretty stable for fishing. It seems to have lots of storage space, which you will find a necessity when it comes to kayak fishing, for things like your tackle box, your "milk crate" with jerry-rigged rod holders, etc. Though it's not a necessity, if you can get a rudder on it you'll find it helps a lot while fishing, so you use your paddle less while coasting downriver while fishing.

One thing, though, don't be cheap on a good paddle! That's the one thing you don't want to skimp out on! Nothing worse then a heavy and or flimsy paddle.

·
2,366 Posts
I'm not sure what you consider affordable, but you can get a brand new Ocean Kayak Trident 13 for around $600-$800. I'm not sure where you live, but you can check them out in Oromocto at Paul Wright's shop (Ecological Adventures). He'll likely have some used ones for a fantastic price as well. The Tridents are probalby the most popular fishing kayaks, both for affordability and utility.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in quispamsis, where could I pick up a kayak around there.

Also what is wrong with pelican kayaks.

And what did you mean about good tracking. I am just new to kayaking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One thing to watch for with some of the pelicans pelicans is the thickness and rigidity of the plastic. If you can sit on one, see how much it bends and deflects when you sit and push on it. Most decent kayaks won't flex much, but if it feels like you could cave it in, stay away from it, but that goes for any brand.

Myself and two guys i work with have also just started a company here in Saint John called Outdoors NB.

We currently can get most models from Necky, Old Town, some Ocean Kayak models and working on Riot and Venture kayaks. We also have a relativly new canadian company called H20 paddles, that we've ordered in, they look very nice for the price.

Our site isn't linked through google yet, but typing www.outdoorsnb.com works. The website is still a work in progress, but you can email us at [email protected] let us know what you're looking for and we'll see what we can do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I forgot to ad, Tracking is how easy it is to keep it going in a straight line. A boat that doesn't track very well will wander back and forth with each stroke and not keep in a straight line

·
2,366 Posts
Yeah, the Pelicans are more or less a "cheapo" brand, and in the kayaking world, you get what you pay for. Like Reg said, the seat on "inexpensive" pelicans are crap, and trust me, if you're gonna spend any amount of time on the water, you WANT a good comfortable seat! And like dand said, if it feels at all flimsy, stay away. In fact, it shouldn't flex at all. And by tracking, I mean when you paddle, you go straight, and your bow or stern (nose or arse) doesn't "wig-wag" with every stroke. This wig-wagging will tire you out like there's no tomorrow, as you are constantly trying to compensate every stroke to correct your track.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, the Pelicans are more or less a "cheapo" brand, and in the kayaking world, you get what you pay for. Like Reg said, the seat on "inexpensive" pelicans are crap, and trust me, if you're gonna spend any amount of time on the water, you WANT a good comfortable seat! And like dand said, if it feels at all flimsy, stay away. In fact, it shouldn't flex at all. And by tracking, I mean when you paddle, you go straight, and your bow or stern (nose or arse) doesn't "wig-wag" with every stroke. This wig-wagging will tire you out like there's no tomorrow, as you are constantly trying to compensate every stroke to correct your track.
Haha my dad and mom tried to make me get a cheap like 300$ pelican....good thing they whent with my idea

1 - 10 of 10 Posts