New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Is anyone catchin any stripers?

9K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Jim VE9WH 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is getting any fish lately. Not many posts getting posted. If you are tell us how big they r and how many.

#4 ·
i have been sworn to secrecy! lol!!
yes, they are catching stripers - big stripers and in some cases good numbers. this is the prime time, not the end of the season. no replies in this case mens they aren't telling, and i must respect there wishes. i haven't been out myself in a couple weeks, due to work and hunting, but i'm going out in a few hours with high hopes for success. second week of oct. was one of the best in a few years.

#5 ·
We were out last Thursday afternoon at the falls as were two other boats, six guys fishing and nothing going. I have not caught a fish this year but then again this is my first year and still learning. Had one strike and my buddy caught a small one about two months ago. Abouth three weeks ago we were at the second bouy and never had a bite. the guy at the first bouy landed six fish and lost a couple. the worst part is we were fishing the same way with the same bait. Hopfully next year we will get fish in the boat.

#6 ·
good luck outdoor guy. i started off slow with stripers - for a while i thought i would never catch more than 3 a night, but pratice helps as does landing some to get a good feel for it. now a good night for me is more than 15 stripers and i land well over a hundred a year...but not last night! brr cold! still, there were a couple schoolies busting top water up stream from me...maybe in all the rain?!!

#7 ·
ill probly be at the falls or somewhere around st-john for striped bass this week and a few weeks to come... cuz im working up saint john on those big thug boat for a few weeks....so ill be seeing alot of river on evenings maybe even early morning depending on the tides.... ill have a black elantra if anyone goes and see me say hi...lol

#8 ·
if the water stays soft, i might get the kayak back out and start next years striper season a little early...lol!!!

i'm thinking maybe pontoons for my portable ice fishing shack will be the best solution...lol

#10 ·
hmmm. str00ver, plans for winter striper fishing are now on hold! dfo had a notice in yesterdays paper saying stripers have a zero catch limit this winter. so we could go fishing for them but no keeping allowed. still, it might be fun! of course, we would have at least good odds of hooking up with an atalntic or silver hake (cod family - silver are about big mackeral size, atlantics grow to striper sizes!!!) i think it would be funny to catch some smelt in the yak's too!

maybe we should set up the shacks on shore as a warming area?! lol!
nah! pontoons are better! lololololol

#11 ·
good news!!! after reading the ice fishing rules again yesterday, i checked the dfo notice and found that it was for "designated" waters in NB only, so stripers are still legal in true tidal waters - the designated tidal lakes? they could be closed by this for stripers so be careful.

str00ver,there is ice now, 4-6" thick so yaking for stripers may be out, but if you are still up for it maybe we could go for hake in the north end from the yaks? maybe late some saturday afternoon? i work a half day saturday, getting off work at 3:30 i also have mondays off. i'll pm you.

#12 ·
Getting pretty cold there, now. If I had a kokotat suit, or even a dry suit, I'd consider it. A fella gets wet with a SOT, probably not fun this time of year. I certainly wouldn't want to take a dive without one during this time of year. Lol! If we get a "warm" spell before ice-up where you mentionned and you're going, send me another pm and I'll see...

#16 ·
I haven't seen anyone down the falls yet, I live by Martelo tower West Side. I was down last night fished from the turn till the end of the incoming, tried jet boat cove and the shuttle dock, got nothing not even a hit. The cormorants didn't have much luck either, a few diving that weren't coming up with anything. Couple Seagulls got lucky when my smelt casted off my lure, I think I was providing more food then what was swimming through the water. There was a seal who caught a few, but pretty slack down there, water is so high there is no falls at all on high tide. The river is way higher then the bay.

#21 ·
Hi guys

New to this site today. It's nice resource for a beginner. Was curious if anyone is connecting with any stripers at the falls, or elsewhere. Looks like its been pretty quiet so far, (or everyone is clammed up).

Got a 30" fish trolling a little Rapela while fishing pickerel 3 weeks ago. What a thrill!

Fished all day Sunday, not a bite. Will stay tuned to see whats up.

#26 ·
I am just new to Striper fishing...just moved to SJ last fall and was given some to eat. After that my wife said I must try it out...I don't want to disappoint. I have been reading many posts and have go tlots of tips but would like to go with a pro sometime if anyone is interested. I don't have a boat at the moment so I am shore fishing until a buddy of mine gets back from out west. That being said...I tried last evening at the north end, falls lookout and the floating dock from about 6 to 9 pm...high tide crest. Never had a hit but did lose a couple of lures and leaders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.