New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday was cold but get some good brookys up to 14 inches on the houte-boujagane river,close to shediac,was really fun,but more fun was to see the faces of two guys when they saw me relese my catch,priceless!.But saturday spend a lot of time on the peticodiac and nothing,I just get a fly fishing yesterday and I want to learn what to use and when.Any tips,not asking for your favor spot just a few advice to make my fishing days better.Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
Friday was cold but get some good brookys up to 14 inches on the houte-boujagane river,close to shediac,was really fun,but more fun was to see the faces of two guys when they saw me relese my catch,priceless!.But saturday spend a lot of time on the peticodiac and nothing,I just get a fly fishing yesterday and I want to learn what to use and when.Any tips,not asking for your favor spot just a few advice to make my fishing days better.Thanks
Well done! A 14 inch brookie is a very nice fish. If you are going to use fly gear for the first time, I would suggest a streamer pattern for this time of year. A Mickey Finn or a Muddler Minnow would be good flies to start with. I am guessing you know how to rig your rod and reel and know some basics about fly casting. Welcome to New Brunswick.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I don't think that's a bad trout. I've seen ones in the same river you speak of over 19" pretty regularly. I get some sort of sexual thrill from releasing a big fish in front of people who keep everything! Maybe it will get them to think about what they do but probably not. I'm no expert and probably could use some lessons in casting myself, but if I was you I would take a trip over to see Bryant Freeman (eskape anglers Escape Anglers Website)in Riverview. If you can catch him when he's not extremely busy he can give you some great tips and suggest some flies to use as well. He taught me how to cast and I do alright. I'm glad to hear you got something though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that's a bad trout. I've seen ones in the same river you speak of over 19" pretty regularly. I get some sort of sexual thrill from releasing a big fish in front of people who keep everything! Maybe it will get them to think about what they do but probably not. I'm no expert and probably could use some lessons in casting myself, but if I was you I would take a trip over to see Bryant Freeman (eskape anglers Escape Anglers Website)in Riverview. If you can catch him when he's not extremely busy he can give you some great tips and suggest some flies to use as well. He taught me how to cast and I do alright. I'm glad to hear you got something though!
Thanks ,Ill try to go see Mr freeman this week.I really need to learn a bit before the season pick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done! A 14 inch brookie is a very nice fish. If you are going to use fly gear for the first time, I would suggest a streamer pattern for this time of year. A Mickey Finn or a Muddler Minnow would be good flies to start with. I am guessing you know how to rig your rod and reel and know some basics about fly casting. Welcome to New Brunswick.
I`ll try that,need to do some reserch first to see if I have some of them with me.Thanks for the info Twinfan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Madaboutfishing today I talk to Bryant Freeman and by a few flys from him,he helps a lot give me some good tips.Thanks for your help too.

·
Banned
169 Posts
No problem! Bryant knows his stuff, stay away from "betterbuy sports" unless you have no other choice. Just my opinion.
Agree 100%

if you need to work on your casting do it on your lawn if you don't have time to hit the river. either with no fly or just cut the hook part off of an old fly. use a hoola hoop / bucket / some rope in a circle shape to make a target and practice...its not too hard and with a bit of practice you will be ready to roll

as for flies to use..right now dry flies are not the best choice, fish some streamer type flies, cast out at a 45 degree angle and let it swing and slowing retrieve your line
this works good for me with wet flies for trout and salmon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts