New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yesterday while fishing at the Falls I noticed a boat with three fisherman using a long handled gaff to land a striper. I don't know whether they didn't know the rules or they just didn't care, but the buddy made three or for stabs at the fish before he finally got hold of it.They kept the fish, but what if it had been to small to keep? With tree or four holes in and around the head area I suspect the fish might not survive.Iknow those big nets aren't cheap but compared to a hefty fine or a dead fish I think it's worth the extra expense! That's not the first time I have seen gaffs used down there,I looked for the boat when we hit the landing but they had loaded up and left. Nobody likes to start something,but we should maybe spread the word especially when you see someone you haven't seen fishing down there before. A word to the wise!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yesterday while fishing at the Falls I noticed a boat with three fisherman using a long handled gaff to land a striper. I don't know whether they didn't know the rules or they just didn't care, but the buddy made three or for stabs at the fish before he finally got hold of it.They kept the fish, but what if it had been to small to keep? With tree or four holes in and around the head area I suspect the fish might not survive.Iknow those big nets aren't cheap but compared to a hefty fine or a dead fish I think it's worth the extra expense! That's not the first time I have seen gaffs used down there,I looked for the boat when we hit the landing but they had loaded up and left. Nobody likes to start something,but we should maybe spread the word especially when you see someone you haven't seen fishing down there before. A word to the wise!
g mac your the guy who fishes the falls with the john boat correct?? while you mention gaffs you might also mention how many people down there use stringers!! also Illegal and will kill any fish you place on there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep totally agree..you are not "starting" something..they are. Although I do not agree with some of the bonehead decisions made breaking them serves no purpose...live release and catch limits need to be adhered to. No need to gaff either..just the lazy way out...or they are keeping all they catch. I do not have a net with me at all times and have landed stripers by the lip and just under the gill plate with a glove. But if you are out in a boat..net is required for sure. I always have my camera with me...a picture says a thousand words...especially emailed to the right sources..lol So beware offenders and smile... you might be on candid camera next time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
g mac your the guy who fishes the falls with the john boat correct?? while you mention gaffs you might also mention how many people down there use stringers!! also Illegal and will kill any fish you place on there.
Kiss my Bass, I just read through the 2010 regulations again just to be sure, Stringers are NOT illegal. Under the ethics portion of the regs, they say anglers should not use stringers to cull fish. I usually release anything I don't want to keep with my grippers, but if I am going to keep one for the table, I will put it on a stringer to keep it fresh. The only illegal fish landing techniques are gaffs and spears{page 4}

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kiss my Bass, I just read through the 2010 regulations again just to be sure, Stringers are NOT illegal. Under the ethics portion of the regs, they say anglers should not use stringers to cull fish. I usually release anything I don't want to keep with my grippers, but if I am going to keep one for the table, I will put it on a stringer to keep it fresh. The only illegal fish landing techniques are gaffs and spears{page 4}
Your right about the stringer rule but that doesn't make it ok in my book! We all know that a striper on a stringer is a dead striper!!I've been down there enough to know what goes on with stringers not saying you but I've seen some people that keep more than one, or if they get a bigger one they let the smaller one go, or they keep multiple fish on there and it's easy for them to cut the stringer if a DFO officer comes. G-Mac not that I care but if you want to get techinal the rule for gaffing states you can't gaff or spear a (sport fish) ie sea run salmon, landlock, trout all species, char and small mouth bass as defined in the regulations (page4) also. P.s did you get your grandson from (Dieppe)wasn't it? out this year??? I must say that was priceless to see him catch a striper(2) and his grandfather helping him. Cheers !

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'll have to find a 2009 Angling Summary, but I think that wording has been changed in the 2010 summary in regards to gaffs and quite possibly about culling fish. DFO and DNRE said to me that gaffs are illegal in inland waters, now the summary says they are only illegal to use on sportfish, therefore use on striped bass is legal, although absolutely shameful. Culling should be illegal and there is no mention of it in 2010 as an actual law.

As for stringer use at the falls, I've seen the same two guys with at least 5 stripers on their stringer and every time I showed up in my boat the guy had a knife in one hand and the stringer line in the other ready to cut.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your right about the stringer rule but that doesn't make it ok in my book! We all know that a striper on a stringer is a dead striper!!I've been down there enough to know what goes on with stringers not saying you but I've seen some people that keep more than one, or if they get a bigger one they let the smaller one go, or they keep multiple fish on there and it's easy for them to cut the stringer if a DFO officer comes. G-Mac not that I care but if you want to get techinal the rule for gaffing states you can't gaff or spear a (sport fish) ie sea run salmon, landlock, trout all species, char and small mouth bass as defined in the regulations (page4) also. P.s did you get your grandson from (Dieppe)wasn't it? out this year??? I must say that was priceless to see him catch a striper(2) and his grandfather helping him. Cheers !

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry Bud,you have me mixed up with someone else. I think I know who you are referring to,I saw them down there at the Falls also. The young fella nailed two the night I was there,I never even got a smell!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is not the first post I have read on hear spreading misinfrmation about the regs. Either people do not care or want to impose thier views on others, glad to see some clarification spread around...gaffing is legal for non sportfish, some may not like it, but that is not a law, stringers are legal as well, same thing, in another thread - someone stated that keeping live fish was illegal; well actually no its not. Live bait is but that is a different story...

Be nice if people would keep opinions in the letter to the editor column instead of quoting them as rules for all to follow...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was always under the impression that gaffing was illegal, and I always assumed that any fish we intended to catch was a "sport fish". Thanks for enlightening me!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
okay. i have a much longer responce but i'll just say, is there some reason why you are not using eethical pratices? and...well, there is as a long list.
we should be encouraging ethical practice here, not the opposite.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree IPOP...we that fish often know more than a marine biologist 100 miles away...or a government who makes rules willy nilly. It is up to us to ensure, best we can, that fish and other animals are here tomorrow, it is up to us to use a common sense approach to that which we love to do. The future is not 10 years from now...it is tomorrow. That fact that they have a knife in one hand and the stringer in the next shows they know it is not right...legal or not legal is beside the point. If we all just did everything in life on the basis of legalities...what a mess that would be. Use your brain...you are not the only person who loves to use the resources. Common sense will go a long ways.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is not the first post I have read on hear spreading misinfrmation about the regs. Either people do not care or want to impose thier views on others, glad to see some clarification spread around...gaffing is legal for non sportfish, some may not like it, but that is not a law, stringers are legal as well, same thing, in another thread - someone stated that keeping live fish was illegal; well actually no its not. Live bait is but that is a different story...

Be nice if people would keep opinions in the letter to the editor column instead of quoting them as rules for all to follow...
Last time I looked, this was a DISCUSSION FORUM.No one is trying to spread misinformation around to anyone! We read the rules and interpret them the best we can. If someone sees another slant on the same reg., then we hash it out till we get it right.Unless you are employed by the D.F.O., and know all the rules then fine come and guide us through them educate us not bash and insult us for expressing an opinion! If we didn't care, we wouldn't be on this site to begin with. There are a lot of younger people on this site trying to learn as much as they can about this great fishery, they shouldn't be afraid to offer an opinion or ask a question for the fear of getting bashed or made to look foolish.If and when the Government decides to make the rules a little more user friendly and does away with the "you shouldn't be culling fish with live wells, or you shouldn't be using stringers to cull fish and only use a gaff on non-sport fish", then the better off we will all be!If they don't want us to be doing these things, then damn well make it illegal to do them instead of leaving us with all these grey areas that do cause a lot of emotion based on what's ethically correct and what's legal.Nuff Said!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny it is only a discussion forum sometimes, I asked those very questions weeks ago and did not get an answer from anyone on here so I did go to DFO and MNR and got the answers.

Opinions are usually articulated by "I think or some such statment", not it is illegal...my point was to say if you are going to make a statment be accurate. As was stated lots of people do not know the rules, telling them misinformation does nothing to help anyone.

have no fear, I do not confuse rules and ethics either, and I agree if the rules were written by someone that was a user we all could understand them in the first place.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny it is only a discussion forum sometimes, I asked those very questions weeks ago and did not get an answer from anyone on here so I did go to DFO and MNR and got the answers.

Opinions are usually articulated by "I think or some such statment", not it is illegal...my point was to say if you are going to make a statment be accurate. As was stated lots of people do not know the rules, telling them misinformation does nothing to help anyone.

have no fear, I do not confuse rules and ethics either, and I agree if the rules were written by someone that was a user we all could understand them in the first place.
Ya got my vote on that one!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
scanner 66, asking everybody to be exact is great but unrealistic, even though we all try our best. your MNR for example - what group is that?!

a discussion forum is just that, what people say. if you are not satisfied with that, you might go to the source... and higher a lawyer, lol.

we looked into the real rules about stripers inside n.b. for 2 years to find the info we have, getting a final decision from dfo, who were quited po'ed at what the province's dnr was saying. now the province has cleaned up it's rule book a bit, but like it says in that same book, it is only a general write up of the rules, not the rules itself.

one "illegal" people should keep in mind, since a lot of people are trying cut bait for stripers lately is the "no sport fish - spinny fish" for live or cut bait. this includes perch, all perch. i have seen a few people using these for stripers and tons of people using them for pickeral. just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
scanner 66, asking everybody to be exact is great but unrealistic, even though we all try our best. your MNR for example - what group is that?!

a discussion forum is just that, what people say. if you are not satisfied with that, you might go to the source... and higher a lawyer, lol.

we looked into the real rules about stripers inside n.b. for 2 years to find the info we have, getting a final decision from dfo, who were quited po'ed at what the province's dnr was saying. now the province has cleaned up it's rule book a bit, but like it says in that same book, it is only a general write up of the rules, not the rules itself.

one "illegal" people should keep in mind, since a lot of people are trying cut bait for stripers lately is the "no sport fish - spinny fish" for live or cut bait. this includes perch, all perch. i have seen a few people using these for stripers and tons of people using them for pickeral. just a heads up.
The rule about no live bait and no spiny fish is for Inland waters, not tidal waters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts