New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this fly box at Trout Brook fly shop. I can't wait to fill it up with killer flies.

Nice clips on one side for the wet hairwings and 8 compartments on the ohter for bugs, butterflies and dry flies.

Dandy fly box!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a wheatley but rather a Perrine model 100.

I have a wheatley and you pay for the name. You can get the same boxes in a different name such as springbrook for alot less for the metal clip type of boxes.

However, the nice things about the wheatleys though is the selection. Different types of foam. You can buy replacement slotted foam with little cut outs for the barbs on the hooks to put in pretty much any fly box. This way the foam doesn't get ripped up. I like the clips but the slotted foam is nice for drys, butterflies and bugs. It comes in a few different sizes with the slots spaced out more for larger hooks.

I got some at WW Doaks for $2.50 a piece and it fits a standard 4 by 6 inch fly box. Converted some of my old Perrine green plastic clip boxes to slotted wheatley foam. Much better!

·
122 Posts
Nice!

Personnaly, I like the Wheatley type metal clips for my wet fly selection and the nubby tack type for my buckbugs and bombers. I've lost a few flies downriver with the compartments, so be careful when you open it and good fishing!

I upgraded my old thrusty WW Doak retractor the other day for a double zip one.....first evening on the river, I open up my bug box to swap fly, my forearm rubs against my clipper, the connection comes loose and ploop.....I've been using my 2 front teeth ever since LOL!

Will have to revert to my thrusty old retractor.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thight lines,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts