New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what new regulations and enforcement comes down next year on ice shacks as the fishing villages have been in the news a lot lately.

The Cameron Road village in Quispamsis made the paper when a couple kids torched an abandoned large shack and the fire department responded with a water cannon to put it out. (The fire chief said "never heard of this before!" but most of the local veterans I've talked to suggest it happened all the time in previous years.)

And there were several stories about most of the villages here in the south getting hit badly by the major blizzards that brought a lot of water up to freeze them in solid.

Having really just started village-based fishing this year, I haven't paid attention to the level of mess that's been left on the ice in previous years but the spots I saw last week looked like the smelt zombie apocalypse had occurred. I saw the guy who organizes things at the Renforth village spending a LOT of time with a chainsaw and sled/trailer trying to get that spot a little tidier, but I expect other sites that aren't as managed won't be as clean. A few residents that live near them have been complaining to me and others about the spring wash-up mess.

Add to this that there were a large number of shacks that weren't removed by the deadline and there might be a crackdown next year.

I don't think I'll be building a big shack any time soon.

·
Registered
449 Posts
With names now required on shacks it would be easy enough to enforce the removal and cleanup by the required date. All non compliance should be subject to heavy fines and enforced. No excuses.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Non compliance is already subject to heavy fines, they just don't seem to be giving any out. I'd hate to see the riverbed at Renforth, probably looks worse than the crane mountain landfill.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ive burnt mine on Maquapit lake once it froze in so bad, tried to get it free and seperated one wall from the floor so said heck with it...took off all teh plastic ect anything that wasnt wood an let her rip...where's it gonna go? Fish away with a nice fire to get warm.. Once it was done and out pick all the nails up...easy peasy lemon squeezy..no worse than having a bonefire on the beach!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i can imagine the riverbed at Renforth is pretty awful. wonder if it's worth looking at scrapping the bottom clean of garbage. not just what is left behind by the shacks, but what fell through the holes aswell. bet there is all kinds of random stuff down there.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
they have the ability to extend the season as well as shorten it. extending the season, since the ice was and still is safe, would have prevented a lot of this, since as the ice thins out people can get a chance to get the shacks out or taken apart. when they are 3 feet deep in ice, you can tell people to remove them, but since they can't, burning them looks like the only solution that will fit the government regs. I bet after yesterdays heavy rains they will be a lot easier to get out now, to bad most of them have already been destroyed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We put ours out off the Cameron and there were some shacks there that were there before us as well as a couple of tent trailers that we never saw anyone around them the whole season,any wonder they froze in.I was down walking about a couple days before they set fire to the big shack,and I personally think it was the owners that set it ablaze and then Hi- tailed across the ice. There was a full size couch froze in, a wood stove, 2 or 3 fold -up sport chairs,table,there was even a buddy's ice auger froze in all under about 10" of ice plus another foot of water on top of that.I think they knew they would never get the stuff off the ice and decided the easiest way was to just burn it.

The old regs used to state that you had to put your name on the doors,guess what, there were 6 shacks still froze in the day I was there and of course all the doors were missing! This year the rules say the name has to go on the shack itself ,not many people read the new rules I guess! I personally think the shacks should have to be registered,and I don't care if I have to pay to do it,not only that the shacks should be built up to snuff . Some of the so-called shacks were just old pieces of chip board nailed together to keep the wind off. After the very first storm blew through they were scattered and broken littering the ice surrounded by the garbage that the owners just left and walked away.

Next year,I'm going to take pics of every shack out there with the names clearly visible and at the end of the year,any shack still littering the ice with no attempts to get it off the river,I'll turn the pics over to the D.F.O. and they can deal with the ass holes.

It's the same with all sport fishing,hunting etc,a few idiots spoil it for everyone,It;s time we stopped turning a blind eye to all this sh-t before we lose the right to put a shack out or fish a favourite brook.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree that changes need to be made to hold people accountable for their mess.I realize many were caught off guard by the weather this past winter but on the other hand many put there shacks on the ice with intentions of only using them periodically and not being aware that there's more to just sticking a shack on the ice and checking it once a week.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This is one of the reasons I decided to build my shack , the way I did ... On a trailer to take on and off as I use it .... The draw back , the last couple years I only got out 3-4 times ...due to the crazy weather ... Last year the jan melt did me in and this year the massive snowstorms back to back to back ..... If I had te money I'd buy a track system for going through the snow ! I think simple solution would be for The powers to be spend some time making sure the shacks are properly labelled , they are down there anyway checkin limits on a nice day .... How hard would it be to knock on a door , speak to the owners , and take a picture of the shack with the owners info on it ....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah,we tried the trailer thing 2 years ago. What a mess! We took the tires off and mounted the hubs on 4x4's to keep it up off the ice. Wouldn't you know it, a couple rains later and we were froze in! It took us 4 hours with a chain saw and ice slice to free it ,never again!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that after an abnormally high tide or after some soft weather that the shacks have to be maintained, an hour lifting the shack up and reblocking and rebanking isn't to much to ask if it prevents losing the whole thing at the end. There was some heavy money invested into some of those lost shacks,not to mention the time and effort to build them.

A Big Hat's Off to whoever took the time to go down after the deadline to clean up the garbage and such on the Cameron,I drove by last week and there were garbage bags full of crap all neatly tied up on shore as well as pieces of limber stacked up. The ice was actually better looking than Renforth,which by the way looks like they lost more shacks than we did on the Cameron,lots of burnt out shells still in the ice.People were still fishing yesterday at Renforth,broken shoreline and all. Someone is going to drown one of these years down there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah Renforth is a mess. numerous times i saw just two people walking about cleaning up the mess while three to four guys fishing just off the end of the wharf sitting in chairs. Felt like volunteering to help clean up the mess. however, with the ice pulling away from the shore and seeing the open water in the not to far distance...doesn't seem safe. Their going to lose the ability to ice fish in the location.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For the record, one of those three or four fishing guys was very likely me, GoverL. I didn't have a shack and have never been inside one at Renforth so didn't contribute to the mess at all, but on a few occasions around my fishing time I still loaded up my sled with other people's stuff and helped take my "share" off, including today. Same is true for most of the other regulars that I often met while fishing in that area this year.

FYI it'll look a lot better tomorrow. A whole squad of hard-working guys took today and hitched up to a bunch of floors to drag 'em off, and they'd almost filled a construction dumpster by the time I'd left.

That being said, there's still two-plus feet of ice that's covering ALL SORTS of blocking that still has to melt out so it'll be nasty-looking again later... but at least most of the biggest potential snags are out of there. before the wharf goes completely underwater and that's it for ice time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah drove by this morning. seen the crew out there hauling sleds around. I didn't think the ice was that thick in that area. The tide seemed some high this morning.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ice on April 18th was measured at 25" about 30 feet out from the dock. Still crazy thick.

The biggest dangers were stepping into a chainsawed trench from a shack or falling on a nail or screw poking up from someone's wreckage.

G

·
Okay, there's a drove video on CBC.ca , before and after....interesting.

Google: CBC new Brunswick ice fishing debris

I'd post a link to it, but I can't. :(

Does nothing and then can't get rid of the dialogue box for the link. Maybe it's me...maybe it's IE. Dunno.....anyway....

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's terrible. That's going to ruin the sport. Maybe there should be a requirement to put pontoons on shacks or display a licence number like boats have. Just fine those that neglect their shacks not ban the whole dang lake. Charge them for cleanup costs and environmental impact and force them to donate to conservation funds and take environmental sensitivity classes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts