New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Can we start a topic here where those close to ice fishing bodies of water can keep us informed of ice conditions as they progress. Looks like the rain and temps next week might ruin some of the lake ice already starting to form.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have to agree with you there Bulls Eye. Could be another poor ice fishing winter like we had couple years ago.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Its getting harder and harder to enjoy the hard water season, especially those of us who have shacks! Usually around the 2nd week of january befor we get enough cold weather to get a good freeze...

·
122 Posts
Remember when I was a young lad fishing the box nets for smelts with my dad using 12hp Elans and bobsleds inside the wharf during XMas break from school, a solid foot of ice, this in saltwater.....those days are long gone...

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Remember when I was a young lad fishing the box nets for smelts with my dad using 12hp Elans and bobsleds inside the wharf during XMas break from school, a solid foot of ice, this in saltwater.....those days are long gone...
Yeah, I remember thirty years ago when my dad and I would go driving on the Richibucto River during Christmas break. Airplanes would even land on it and give people rides.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Most of the lakes are frozen over that I fish. Hopefully we won't get a lot of snow which may slow down the accumulation of ice. I seldom fish before the middle of January but it looks like it may be a bit later this year. We should try and have a friendly tournament sometime over the winter, what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
good for me sako...so long as it's on tidal water.....

we got lucky the last couple years, getting out on the ice early. then we got unlucky and had to get off the ice early - figures!

when i was a kid, which is more than a couple years back, it was a rare thing if the kennibicasis was frozen all the way across at the end of millidge ave before Christmas. it would normally freeze out to the islands first, then a week or so later freeze all the way. i can remember once on Christmas day we got up to see the river had frozen over all the way, from shore to shore in just that one night of xmas eve. a nice christmas present for an ice fishermen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The lakes are covered in the areas you mentioned, I Fish, but far from safe. They may be safe within a couple of weeks if the weather cooperates. I've got to have at least 10 in. of good ice before I venture out. I've taken a bath in a lake this time of year before and I'm not doing that again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with you on the safety thing Sako,I've had the unpleasant and scary experience of an icy dip. Thinking back on it gives me the shakes.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Most of the lakes are frozen over that I fish. Hopefully we won't get a lot of snow which may slow down the accumulation of ice. I seldom fish before the middle of January but it looks like it may be a bit later this year. We should try and have a friendly tournament sometime over the winter, what does everyone else think?
Sako,
KMB and I have been talking about a trip either day or over night trip somewhere this season, and we figure Ipop and Ijimmie may also be interested... I was thinking of hitting Mcadam lake ( Cant spell the real name LOL ) .. I have a snowmobile to bring up, Gas ice auger , Ice cube 4 man ice shelter , and propane heater for a nice comfy day on the ice ... And the boys have the electronics for finding the fish as well.. Always up for a fun friendly tourney on the ice .

If you could keep us informed on the ice conditions up there maybe we can make this happen...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. It's Wauklehegan, LOL, and everybody has problems with it. There is a camp on the second island up the lake and the guy that owns it rents it out. Pretty reasonable in the summer so chances are he will do better in the winter. It's fairly close to the deepest holes in the lake. This mild spell is not helping the ice formation but colder temps are on the way. Usually the lake fishes better after the first of February and there are some big white perch.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i plan on taking an auger and checking the ice at the end of millidge ave tonight. i took a look last night and the ice looked to be 4" thick. i just called ijimmie and he says it's 2-6". it was cold last night, so we might have built up some more thickness.

it's almost ice fishing time!!!! i may not have to put pontoons on the shack after all!....i hope!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts