New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the story with ice fishing in Meenans Cove? I remember there being a dozen or more shacks back in 2007 when I first moved to the area. Right now there is just 1 lone shack just off from where the floating wharf is to during the boating season. I'm guessing that after the two previous mild winters with lost shacks people are just staying away and sticking to Cameron or Renforth. My 7 year old and little sis are getting interested in dropping some lines so thus so am I. Are there many smelts or is the water too fresh in the cove? Many other species to be caught through the ice?

Thanks
BA

·
Registered
26 Posts
The last time I ice fished in Meeans Cove was about 45 years ago with my childhood friend Brian Peacock, who still lives on the big property there. It was that fond memory that got me back into ice fishing this year. I live in Fredericton so I have been fishing at Public Landing above Westfield.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can catch smelt and tommy cod there, but I've found it very hit or miss. I have done ok there on occasion. The most frustrating thing about Meehan's cove is the damn sticklebacks. They can hit fairly hard for a 2-3" long fish and there are a ton of them there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts