New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I went fishing out on the canaan River today with my step uncle. after fishing for a while he caught some shad and a bass, and I still never caught anything. We moved to a new spot and to my suprise, I hooked into the biggest bass I have seen in person. I hooked in to what looked to be and felt to be a 5 + pound smallmouth after it jumped really high out of the river. I fought him for a bit and he came right close to shore. Me being extremely excited I lifted my rod and the top part seperated from the base of my rod and my jig came out of his mouth. After Reassembling my rod i proceded to fish, but only caught a really nice size perch about 12 inches long. There were nice bass jumping all day, some could have been bigger than the one I had on but they just dont bite. So I reccomend all you bass fishermen to go try canaan river, you may hook into a nice bass like I did, just be sure to take your time cause I know I sure didnt.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can you fish from the shore there with a fly rod?
Yea there are several spots where you can fly fish. I would Reccomend a dragon fly pattern because they seem to be jumping for them,especially since there are tonnes of them around. I would be fly fishing too but I recently broke my rod

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm wondering what stretch of the river you are fishing. Upper or lower, not exactly where.
Hey, I fished some places near the upper portion and lower portion of canaan yesterday when I missed landing that monster. They seem to be big and jumping everywhere I went. Anywhere I tried lately has been good and a bass no smaller than 16 inches is caught almost every time. If you are spin casting, try a chartreuse jig with a white berkley powerbait ribbon tail grub They work amazing on bass, shad,pickerel and almost everthing in the river. My uncle even caught a trout the other day in the canaan. I would just say try near the covered bridge on cherryvale and the guard rails more towards moncton. Those are the main spots i fished and caught the nice ones and lost the big one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So anywhere along the 112?
Yes, there are some good spots along the 112. Off cherryvale (the cherryvale road loops around and crosses the river in 2 places) there is 2 bridges, one covered and one not. There is some nice spots to fish there. Also coming from moncton, there is a guard rail before cherryvale and it is I believe the second guard rail you see after passing the Y in the road where the big main bridge is near the carr road it is a longer guard rail, I have had some good luck there. Sorry if my directions are not the best, Im only 15 turning 16 on thursday, so i dont drive there, im just trying to explain the best i can from getting driven there. Hope they help and good luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Trenton..I fished the entire stretch tonight with no luck on the line and did not see anything jump. I think the water has raised as it was very dirty looking which I think had an affect. I used some spinner baits and grub worm lures which you mention but no takers. Any suggestions on techniques. I fished the guard rails and bridges. Do you fish the bridge right at the Y? Also how far down or up do you walk at each location. I catch all kinds of stripers but need to catch a small mouth. I was also wondering if you could take some pics of the lures you use and PM me.

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Trenton..I fished the entire stretch tonight with no luck on the line and did not see anything jump. I think the water has raised as it was very dirty looking which I think had an affect. I used some spinner baits and grub worm lures which you mention but no takers. Any suggestions on techniques. I fished the guard rails and bridges. Do you fish the bridge right at the Y? Also how far down or up do you walk at each location. I catch all kinds of stripers but need to catch a small mouth. I was also wondering if you could take some pics of the lures you use and PM me.

Thanks
What time were you fishing at? Also, if the sun is not out, I found that I barely caught/ seen anything jumping at all, infact got almost no bites. If it is a nice sunny day wich it was the other day when I was fishing, it seems everything in the river is more active. Make sure you fish cover, boulders, over hanging trees, logs, lilly pads and just anything good cover-wise that you see. The technique i use is different depending on my lure choice. When I fish the grubs, i do a nice slow retrieve, just fast enough to get that tail twirling and I keep my rod tip up high in the air and do quick gentle jerks up so it just barely moves your bait. And With a rapala, use any technique you like, I prefer a nice medium retrieve speed with a pause and retrieve. Reel for a bit, using any technique you want, then stop completely for about 3 seconds and reel again. I will send you the lure pictures in a little bit, Im off to write an exam and need some new rapalas as i snagged the slashbaits I use. And hey, if the fishing is slow, try a swimbait or a big old bobber and worm. oh by the way, if the day you go next is sunny, bring alot of bug spray, there are tonnes of black flies there waiting to t ick yoiu off! haha.

Good luck, if you need any more help, let me know and I will try my best to help you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I fished from 5:00pm until 8:30pm and yes it was overcast with not much sun. I figured that did not help as well. I think they were just not taking. At least I hope hahaha. I tried numerous lures with nothing and its not as though I don't know how to fish as I have been pulling stripers in for the past month and been fishing salmon and trout for years. Like I said the water was very dark, dirty and fast as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I fished from 5:00pm until 8:30pm and yes it was overcast with not much sun. I figured that did not help as well. I think they were just not taking. At least I hope hahaha. I tried numerous lures with nothing and its not as though I don't know how to fish as I have been pulling stripers in for the past month and been fishing salmon and trout for years. Like I said the water was very dark, dirty and fast as well.
The water was a little bit merky when I was there but not like you explained. The water quality plays good role when fishing that river I find. Too high,dirty and fast you wont get barely any. Try it again soon, it might pay off with a HOG!!!

Good luck out on the water!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts