New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the simplest way is to get a couple of mackerel rigs. these are inexpensive, have 3 to 6 hooks dressed with feathers, flashy stuff or plastics. use a bell sinker, or, if you are using less than 6 hooks, use a mackerel lure or jighead for a weight at the end. normark and buzz bomber make a good selection of these lead lures, but just a ball jig will work with the mackerel rigs too. cast out and work it through the water colum, pumping it to give it action and let it drop. they will hit anywhere from top water to just off the bottom. most times, when fishing from a wharf, the bottom is to be avoided since you will get your gear stuck. so i definately start out working the top few feet of water first, then work my way down over a number of casts. you can also use a 1/4" strip of mackerel belly about 1 1/2" long on each hook, but i find you rarely need to do that if the fishing is good. best times are supper time, just before high tide and high tide. they normally run out from shore with the dropping water after high tide.

i hope this helped, mackerel fishing is a lot of fun, just keep what you can eat immediately, they are no where near as good when froozen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you can find them pick up some Hayabusa Sabiki hooks, we use them when the mackeral are scarce, by far our most effective feathers, even herring will take them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the simplest way is to get a couple of mackerel rigs. these are inexpensive, have 3 to 6 hooks dressed with feathers, flashy stuff or plastics. use a bell sinker, or, if you are using less than 6 hooks, use a mackerel lure or jighead for a weight at the end. normark and buzz bomber make a good selection of these lead lures, but just a ball jig will work with the mackerel rigs too. cast out and work it through the water colum, pumping it to give it action and let it drop. they will hit anywhere from top water to just off the bottom. most times, when fishing from a wharf, the bottom is to be avoided since you will get your gear stuck. so i definately start out working the top few feet of water first, then work my way down over a number of casts. you can also use a 1/4" strip of mackerel belly about 1 1/2" long on each hook, but i find you rarely need to do that if the fishing is good. best times are supper time, just before high tide and high tide. they normally run out from shore with the dropping water after high tide.

i hope this helped, mackerel fishing is a lot of fun, just keep what you can eat immediately, they are no where near as good when froozen.
Thanks, This should help a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts