New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a rookie I have no clue what I should have for flies. I probably have 30 flies know but I I don't know if I need different ones for the June run, sizes based on water levels, etc. I think choosing a fly is like choosing a golf ball and golf clubs, they all do the job but you personally trust one over the other.

So here is the question, if you had to start from scratch and buy flies, what is the bare minimum you think you need and what types/sizes to fish from June to the end of Oct?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think having at least a couple dozen good flies should help you. You would want to have different types of flies and different colors. Bugs, wet flies, dry flies,... Use #2s and #4s for higher water and #6s and lower the rest of the time. There are a lot of flies that you can use all season long. I know some guys that use fall patterns in June and hook fish. You just never know what they're taking!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think you hit it right on Moose; whatever fly you have confidence in is the one to use and that's usually because you've had luck with it in the past so you know it works. A few weeks ago I used a #10 white tail GM in high water just because I didn't have one bigger on me and landed a grilse. I've probly only used a total of 8 or ten different flies this whole season!
I watch the reports like Wilson's and he usually has some good suggestions on flies and sizes for the time of the year/water conditions.
The Captain has some good advice there too

·
Registered
113 Posts
You should have an couple of flies in each pattern and size. I tie and sell flies and I advise people to have 3 of each; one for the trees, one for the rocks, and one for the fish. Inevitably, you are going to lose some, so I would suggest at least 2 of each of the sizes and patterns you fish mmost. Nothing hurts more than losing your last fly in a pattern and size that the fish is taking at the time.

Wet Flies- Minimum requirement

That being said, probably 2 each of #6 and #8 and 1 each of #4 and #10 ( 6 flies) make up a series in all the various patterns you want to use. If you fish real early you may wish to have #2 and # 1/0 as well. If you fish big water, you may want to carry larger sizes than this.

Generally as a minimum two series of black bodied fly patterns,two series of peacock herl bodied flies, one series of silver bodied flies and one series of gold bodies flies. That's 3 dozen flies in wets. You probably won't fish the silver and gold ones too often, but they're there if you need them. I'm a big believer in the Boy Scout Motto " Be Prepared ".

Dry Flies

1 each #6 ,1 X#8, 1 X #10 in Wulff style ,i.e. Royal, Yellow, Grey, Irresistable ,etc- 1/2 dozen ( choose 2 types)

2 each #6 & #8 in Deer Hair Bugs ( Natural Body, White Tail, Glitter Tail and Bucktail( Carter Bug)- that's a adozen.

The same as above in Green Deer hair combinations - That's another dozen

2 each #6,#8 in other deer hair bugs- Smurfs , Shady Lady, and white with glitter tail- that's another dozen

1 each of big Bombers -#2 & #4 long shank hooks - Natural, White, Orange - 1 of these with Brown hackle, 1 each with orangs or red hackle ( The orange bodied ones should have Brown & White or Badger Hackle.- That's another dozen.

Grand total Wets-3 dozen Dries- 4-1/2 dozen[. Seems like a lot, doesn't it. I typically carry at least this many, probably double this quantity. I frequently am trying out new patterns that I source out via the internet.

I don't suggest running out and filling up today, but build up your inventory over a few years.

PS
I don't always catch and land fish, but most of the time I get hits and hookups.
I suggest carrying 2 boxes- i for wets and 1 for dries. Keep one in each side of the vest.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Also, there's a misconception that a bigger fly means a bigger fish. Don't be afraid to try smaller flies like Wannafish said. I was fishing with some people and somebody said they thought a no 10 hook would be too small. Well I proved them wrong with hooking (and loosing) into a grilse on a no 10 green machine I had tied myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Green machine with white tail (mustad 3399 #4 and 6) (19 fish hooked or landed)
undertaker (partridge type m #6 and 8) ( 7 hooked or landed)
Blue charm " (bear hair wing)(10 )
Shady lady bug # 4 ( 2 )
glitter bear #6. ( 5 )

·
Registered
105 Posts
I may not be a good one to ask because when I go on my canoe fishing excursions I carry in excess of a thousand flies!! I think 6 are bombers and no bugs. I have been having a lot of luck with feather wing patterns the last few years.99% of the flies I tie on are "classics" though. Blue Charm, Thunder and Lightning, Jock Scott, and Black Dose are my farourites. Seriously though all you need is 1. If you have faith in it you tend to fish it better. If you start out thinking I have never caught anything on this pattern take it off because you probably will not present it properly.
It helps if you tie your own because then you can cheaply build up your inventory. In Fredericton the "Fredericton Fish and Game Ass'n" offers a 10 week course starting in January. I expect other communities have courses as well. Tying is a great way to spend the winter evenings thinking about the upcoming season!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I may not be a good one to ask because when I go on my canoe fishing excursions I carry in excess of a thousand flies!! I think 6 are bombers and no bugs. I have been having a lot of luck with feather wing patterns the last few years.99% of the flies I tie on are "classics" though. Blue Charm, Thunder and Lightning, Jock Scott, and Black Dose are my farourites. Seriously though all you need is 1. If you have faith in it you tend to fish it better. If you start out thinking I have never caught anything on this pattern take it off because you probably will not present it properly.
It helps if you tie your own because then you can cheaply build up your inventory. In Fredericton the "Fredericton Fish and Game Ass'n" offers a 10 week course starting in January. I expect other communities have courses as well. Tying is a great way to spend the winter evenings thinking about the upcoming season!
I agree it's great to tie your own but I have to question the "cheaply" part
I started a course last year and sadly the gentleman teaching it committed suicide half way through the course. I found that I had enough basics to learn the rest from u-tube.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree it's great to tie your own but I have to question the "cheaply" part
I started a course last year and sadly the gentleman teaching it committed suicide half way through the course. I found that I had enough basics to learn the rest from u-tube.
After you have the materials cheaply means a lot cheaper than buying them at the shops.My classics are more expensive to tie. I figure with all the materials that they are between $3 and $5 and regular hair wing patterns are less than a dollar

·
Registered
106 Posts
June: Green Highlander, Blue charm, Undertaker or Glitter bear,
Bugs(brown, green, or black).

July: Bugs (brown, green or black), Undertaker/Gl.bear, Blue charm, Butterfly,
Bombers.
Aug: Bugs (black, brown), Undertaker, Butterfly, Bombers.

Sept: Bugs (brown, orange), Brown fairy, Cains copper, Ally's shrimp, GP,
Bombers.

Oct: GP, Ally's shrimp, Cascade, Copper killer, Cains copper, Bugs
(orange, brown)

This is pretty simplified - and mainly for the Miramichi drainage. I'm an idiot and carry 4 boxes, and I fish way more flies than that, but this should give you a rough idea where to start anyway. I have left out a TON of good flies. Can't believe I don't have a muddler up there, there is no better high/dirty water fly than a muddler IMO. On the Restigouche drainage I like a lot more silver in my flies, and I have done well on blue bugs (smurfs) up there. I'm sure there will be plenty of guys who will disagree with my 'staples' so-to-speak. Anyway, for what it's worth - hope this helps!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anything in brackets below have hooked fish for me.

Wets: Hold your fly box out at arm's length and look at it and see what the dominant colours are. You should see some red/orange (Ally's Shrimp, General Practitioner), green (green machine varieties), black (undertaker, shady lady, black bear green butt), white (Ingall's butterfly), gold (rusty rat), silver/grey (silver rat), brown (deer hair bugs,), yellow (Cosseboom, lady Joan), blue (blue charm). Adding a few strands of Crystal flash to the wings or tails of some of these patterns helps them to stand out in murky or fast water

Drys: Honestly I dont think it matters too much here re colour. Remember that when seen from below against the light sky, the bomber looks like a shadow. Adding a few twists of different colour deer hair at the end or in the middle I think is a waste of time rather the silouette the fish sees is more important. Still I carry and have caught fish on dark green ones and natural deer hair coloured ones in size 8 and 4 and 2 with white calf tail wings and tails. Orange vs brown hackle I think doesnt matter although I am sure others would disagree.

What you have caught fish on in the past will obviously affect your bias. If all you ever use is a green machine, it is the best fly for you!

Having said all this, I have had the most success with a #6 Ingall's Butterfy any time of the yr. which no-one else has mentioned I dont think.

Presentation is most important!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fly tying is not only cost-cutting (it might become a lost art...who knows??)but it's a great hobby. I started tying flies almost a year ago and if you're always willing to learn, it doesn't take long to tie what you want. Nothing more satisfying and rewarding than hooking a fish on a fly you tied.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fly tying is not only cost-cutting (it might become a lost art...who know??)but it's a great hobby. I started tying flies almost a year ago and if you're always willing to learn, it doesn't take long to tie what you want. Nothing more satisfying and rewarding than hooking a fish on a fly you tied.
Well stated C-H. I have been tying since the early 70's and find nothing more satisfying than catching fish on your own creations. Either confirmed patterns or your own inventions. I developed a pattern a number of years ago similar to a reverse wing butterfly with a dubbed florescent green seals fur body and white polar bear wing. It has always produced fish in the sizes 4 through 8

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fly tying is not only cost-cutting (it might become a lost art...who knows??)but it's a great hobby. I started tying flies almost a year ago and if you're always willing to learn, it doesn't take long to tie what you want. Nothing more satisfying and rewarding than hooking a fish on a fly you tied.
And seeing your friends hook fish on flies you've given them.

Bonansa_U, you summed it up perfectly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would love to get into fly tiying does Dieppe Nb offer fly tiying courses during the winter? Does anybody know roughly how much it would generally cost to get started?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts