New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how big the winning sturgeon was last week? I went sturgeon fishing for the 1st time today. I only vaguely knew where to go and ended up at the upstream tip of Darlings Island in that 35' pool. Anybody know if that's a good spot usually? I idled from where the Hammond empties into the Kennebecasis, through Darlings Lake, to that deep pool and didn't see anything big on my fishfinder laying on the bottom. At that 35' hole, I couldn't keep the bait stealers from cleaning my worm off in no time. I finally hooked what was cleaning out. It was about 8" long, brown, and looked sort of like a cod. Anyone know what it may have been?

Anyhow, if anyone can let me know where a good spot is over that way I'd appreciate it, thanks.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The pool where the Hammond connects to the Kennebecasis is where all the boats fish during the tournament.

·
Registered
492 Posts
livetofish.... the winning fish at the tournament was 52" long and 33lb 9oz, caught by our very own getmoresoon. AND he caught it from a kayak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The winning sturgeon was 52 inches, don't remember how much they said it weighed. I know what you mean about bait stealers, I was getting the same thing as you last week, Pretty sure they're Tommy cod. I'm going out again soon, as long as the nightcrawlers agree lol

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
A few of us are going Saturday in that same area and from kayaks, if any are interested. Jeff Goudreau, who will be on the Kayak Fishing Show this comming season will be there as well.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup, there were bait stealing tommy cod there during the tourney, and black bull cat fish too.

i hope ya' all caught some more sturgeon today!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
No Sturgeon upto 3PM today... not much of anything really. Not sure if the guys had better luck after I left. Weather permitting, I may take another crack tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well 5 of us fished most of yesterday, and 4 of us fished this morning. All in all, no sturgeon. However late yesterday afternoon one of the folks from Nova Scotia landed a real nice 35" striper. The weird part is that it was caught on a line rigger for sturgeon. He had a chunk of mackerel on hook, weighted down on the bottom with an 8oz sinker. Go figure. Oh, and it made up for his weekend because his car blew up on the trip here. Complete write-off. So it was one expensive fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts