• yes and agree

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • yes and disagree

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
O.K. here we go, this a rant rave whatever......... Every spring on the Cocagne river(substitute your local river) I am disguted by the behavior that goes on for about three weeks. This section of the river has a large run of sea trout and black salmon exiting the river and is tidal water therefore(no fishing licence required).So for weeks people fish , litter , and poach. The garbage is awful = worm containers , beer bottles,coffee cups etc. dead smolts , salmon and tiny trout litter the banks and many people problably not knowing any better leave with salmon and parr.One nice area were i have fished for years is now posted with dozens of no trespass signs because someone light a fire on the property and left it to burn.Ispoke to the owner , he's not changing his mind.The cocagne is 20 minutes from moncton and used by many people, yet a few careless individuals ruin it for everybody. I even witnessed a certain well known canoe club come down the river cross five peoples lines then flipped the canoe releasing over 24 empty beer cans and various other garbage into the river , very sad.One day i witnessed 3 anglers catching and killing dozens of suckers, when i asked what they were doing they blamed the suckers for lack of trout...when i informed them that the trout were there right behind the suckers feeding on the eggs i was told to go f""k myself. nice right. I guess i feel the Gov or an organization should step in and change things around, maybe provide some garbage cans , some signs informing that salmon is closed to retention , and maybe even make it restricted gear such as single barbless hook( i caught and released a black salmon with a 7" rapala in his mouth)and also change the trout retention to a slot size one fish over 12" per day to protect the species, And in many years of fishing i have never seen D.N.R. there.
I guess user education is the bottom line. I am sure it's not gonna happen but this river needs attention annual clean ups, beaver dam removal , to increase flow and fish habitat construction , not to mention it hasn't been stocked with trout since 2004, When it was declared unfit for atlantic salmon yet every year there are very good numbers of black salmon exiting the river. Come on people and Government protect what's in our backyards.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've been going there for many years and stopped going because of seeing the exact same things that you are seeing.
I took an out-of-province buddy there a few years ago because he used to fish there years ago when he lived in Moncton and he wanted to relive the old days. He was shocked at what he saw. The place is a **** pit.
On the day we were there, one warden came, walked up to the old RR bridge, chatted with some fishermen, including us, and left. I don't know what the poor COs can do anyway. The desecration of that formerly great spot is out of control. I used to do what I could by filling a plastic bag with trash every time I visited but it only seemed to get worse.
So I stopped going altogether.
I won't be back.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I too have fished there since I was a little kid with my father.
It's a shame what it has come too.
That same property owner warned people for 2 years too pick up their garbage and respect the land.
I don't blame him at all for his actions.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i understand your concern. the best solution would be to call the federal game wardens and report the illegal activity one day into the season. that way when the warden walks the area he can do something, as opposed to the provincial dnr which has no jurisdiction and can't do anything but say "don't do that".

some garbag cans would help, but only if some one cleans them out besides the bears.

some signs showing the difference between trout and parr would sure help, like they did on the hammond.

i have heard how bad it is there for a couple years now. i would have thought some local cops would have too, the littering is a local police matter and at least they would get to fish while staking the place out...!

maybe some mock up camera's and some "you are being recorded" signs would help to!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was reading this and I was getting shakes, everything said so far is 110% the truth ! sad thing is the Dr. that owns the point faceing the RR bridge can't stop anyone from fishing there as long as they are within the legal distance from the river bank. On another note it's a slaughter house for black salmon I agree something should be done but just what other then closing it ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Why does someone have to do things for those people using the river, like putting up some garbage cans.

Can't one bring a small garbage bag with them, fill it with their own garbagre and take it home when they leave. That's what I do!

If people don't take responsibility for theit own actions, others affected by these actions will take the necessary steps to ensure that they won't be affected by these actions in the future; like denying access to a river through their land.

This kind of stuff goes on all over, in hunting, fishing, ATV's crossing private property, etc.

It's about time we all smartened up, before we lose access to what we have left! 'Nuff said!

·
Banned
15 Posts
I have fished there off and on for years and basically only go once per year if that. The spot you mention must be at Poirier Beach? I've seen lots of garbage around there also especially worm containers.

Eventually it will be closed. Seems to be I use to fish the Wisner Road brooks and now those are closed. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

I can see the cocagne river going fly fishing only soon. Just because it's tidal doesn't mean it cannot be fly fishing only. Look at Quarriville. It's tidal and fly fishing only.

Same type of crap has gone on in Nova Scotia at Rive Phillip and now the river has gone to fly fishing only
River Philip, downstream from the Mountain Road Bridge (Spencers Bridge) from April 15 to May 14, is restricted to artificial fly only
Something like this could be put in place for a longer duration for the Cocagne river

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have fished there off and on for years and basically only go once per year if that. The spot you mention must be at Poirier Beach? I've seen lots of garbage around there also especially worm containers.

Eventually it will be closed. Seems to be I use to fish the Wisner Road brooks and now those are closed. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

I can see the cocagne river going fly fishing only soon. Just because it's tidal doesn't mean it cannot be fly fishing only. Look at Quarriville. It's tidal and fly fishing only.

Same type of crap has gone on in Nova Scotia at Rive Phillip and now the river has gone to fly fishing only

Something like this could be put in place for a longer duration for the Cocagne river
I agree salmonnut that would be a wise decision to restrict that to fly only. At least till the spring salmon have left.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Hey SalmonNut, Quarryville isn't flyfishing only, but it SHOULD be. I see kids fishing there all the time with worms and spinner gear, claiming they're fishing for trout. I'm sure they are, but...

·
Banned
97 Posts
Worm containers, plastic bags and cigarette butts! I have never been to this place in particular but just pick a spot and it's the same story. And getting told to f off is the normal response. I was going to try this area this year strangle enough.

·
Banned
97 Posts
How far does one have to go in order to catch some trout on this river? I was Google mapping to see roads that cross the river but I'm not familiar with the area.

I only leave footprints and only take pictures and memories away with me! Is there any point in trying up by the poirier office road? As well I don't mind a hike in the woods to get to the river.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts