New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watched a video on youtube about a guy catching salmon with hitched flys. he goes on saying the salmon in his area cant resist the fly when it is making a wake on the water. just wondering how do you hitch a fly? I did a google search but came up empty handed

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i'm probaley wrong (names and i rarely get along...) but i think he was refering to flys that have a wing or other material "forward", ie: the wing is positiond so it is angled forward towards and over the eye, so that the fly easily rides higher and more top surface, so more wake and a clear v in the water. some people just tie on so that the line's tag end is facing forward above the fly, giving it a little lift, others (what i'm actualy more familiar with... lol!) have a couple of pieces of peacock hackle angled forward, like feelers. i look for big black bugs just to do this with, a great fish finding technique for finding willing trout.

my best guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Simply a half hitch tied close behind head of fly. Line must come off the side of fly you are facing when fishing it. Never had much luck with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use this a lot! It works. Especially when fish are reluctant to take. Works great on Quebec rivers and often on the Miramichi. Just hooke one on the Matapedia using the hitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts