New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever used this? Last year I saw a fellow using this setup, and he seemed to be doing well with it. He would use a Hildebrandt spinner (I'm not familiar with spinners so I don't know what size it was, but there were two blades, one on top of the shaft and the other below it, and the blades seemed to be about an inch long), and instead of a hook where the hook would normally go, he had about a six inch leader, and on the leader he had the hook and worm.

I'd like to know more about this type of fishing for trout, if anybody has any advice/tips.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah i see people do that all the time it works well for trout.I use spinners alot for brooks but i just put the hook in the normal spot works for me. I have also seen people put a hook on the spinner and use a 6"-12" leader with a small fly usually nymphs dont know if that is legal though.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
up to 3 hooks is legal for provincial waters here in non fly fishing waters. i use that set up a lot, 4 to 12" of leader on the trailing hook. i mostly use number 3.5 to 4 for this, as often with colorado blades as leaf blades. i will also scale down this rig for small streams and if trolling you can use a smaller rig to for surprisingly big fish. this is a great trout, land loch, perch set up.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ipop, would you mind further describing this "smaller rig", as -'d like to get into it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have used this setup a lot when trolling. You just buy a pack of snelled baitholder hooks and hook them into the hildebrant spinner. There are lots of diff sizes depending on what type of water u r fishing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is the only way I fish for brook trout. Usually only a single blade with a 4 inch leader between the spinner and hook. The reason for the leader is the blade will sometimes hit the trout and cause it to leave. You have to use a swivel or the line between the hook and spinner will twist up. Some days gold is all that works, other days silver. Some days willow leaf, some days round. Same with spinner sizes. You can buy imitations of the Hidebrand spinner but they don't seem to work as well. I've fished in Nfld. with the sane setup and they work as well, however, worms are hard to come by in Nfld..

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sako, so the leader goes on the bottom of the spinner, then a swivel, then the hook? Sounds good! So what do you do, keep different kinds pre-set, and if you're not getting any hits quickly switch from a silver to a gold, for example?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
it goes swivel, hildy, then leader hook or just snelled hook. you need the swivel to be above the hildy spinner or it will twist up your line, if the hildy is of any size. if you go subtle, instead of using a 3.5-4 spinner use a size 2 spinner, colorado blades. these are not often easy to find in actual hildies, so you will likely have to use an immitation. for the smaller ones, you almost always want gold, but they can switch to hitting silver at the start of the summer, at least so i have found, for either the small or regular hildy rig. i do find you can get away with no swivel on the smaller rigs, but i use them most of the time anyway. bait the hook with worm or dead minnow or power bait or corn or....you get the idea.

for the bigger hildy rigs, make sure you have hooks big enough to move on the hildy freely - that takes a surprisingly big ringed hook. for the trailer, snelled hooks are quick and easy, so long as you don`t use the 16" leader ones, 4-12" is what you want. if you are fishing waters with a lot of pickerel, try using the snells that have 2 lines running to the hook, that way you will lose fewer fish. if tieing trailer leaders yourself, use a bait holder or carlisle hook.

i was at Doiron`s on saturday and they had a good selection of hildies and snelled hooks there, both willow leaf and colorado blades (for those wondering what i`m talking about, the willow leaf blades are long and skinny, the colorado are almost a round circle spinner blade. the colorado causes more of a disturbance for the size of the blade, so is better for stained waters).

you can use this same set up with a kastmaster or similar lure by removing the treble and adding the trailer hook. shorten up the leader to 3-6", and don`t use much if any bait on the hook - let the lure draw the fish. this is great for short striking trout.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i will switch size of hildy rig more often than the color.
i almost always use double blade rigs...almost! if casting into smaller streams, i will step up the size and go to a single blade if i`m looking for size of fish instead of numbers.
if trolling i normally run it with a trailing hook and a hook right on the hildy, if casting it will depend on how agressive the fish are. the more agressive the less you need the trailing hook.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts