New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever used this? Last year I saw a fellow using this setup, and he seemed to be doing well with it. He would use a Hildebrandt spinner (I'm not familiar with spinners so I don't know what size it was, but there were two blades, one on top of the shaft and the other below it, and the blades seemed to be about an inch long), and instead of a hook where the hook would normally go, he had about a six inch leader, and on the leader he had the hook and worm.

I'd like to know more about this type of fishing for trout, if anybody has any advice/tips.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
that is my killer set up for big trout. i got the idea from bob izumi. it`s even more deadly if you use a a big crawler and a worm blower in some cases.

·
Registered
185 Posts
@ abaloneus,
You definitely are, i do it when fishing the bottom alot. i don't really do it when trolling though.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
syringes? worm blowers? what's up with these? are you guys injecting steroids into your crawlers?
Ya, they talked about this in another thread last year or so. Apparently, if you can get your hands on an injection needle you can inject air into a crawler and blow it up. That way it tends to float above the seeweed line and makes it easier for fish to find (or something along those lines).

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i have a big time needle phobia, so no syringes for me. i use the commercially available worm blower. its a little plastic bottle that looks like a glue bottle with a sharp pointy piece of hollow metal sticking out the top, and has a cover (did you notice how i didn`t even think of it as a needle?!!!lol). you hook up your worm and then inject air into it at the the end and often in several places along the worm. this lets it rise up from the bottom, which is awesome for weedy and mossy bottoms. the worm has to be on a trailing hook or snelled hook, not on the gear itself. don`t expect to get away with casting it a lot, once that worm has popped the air out, it will not hold air in that section of it again, but if you are lucky you can find some segments that haven`t blown out yet. so cast, a couple quick cranks to lay out the gear properly, then let it drop and wait for the bite. the hits have a tendancy to be violent - my biggest brown hit this so hard the first thing that happened was it burnt out my drag.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I use a snelled hook below my spinner all the time, but particularly for smaller fish, like brook fishing. That way, when I get snagged, all that I lose (usually) is a 5-cent snelled hook, not a $5 spinner.
It works awesome!

·
122 Posts
A very tuff and efficient rig when casting or trolling willow leafs or trolling spoons for brookies is to use a large threading needle and thread it thru the night crawler, attach your hook, and then slide down the crawler half way on the hook shank, half way up the mono lead....nearly indestructible and a very efficient hookup tactic, as sometimes the trout attacks the rig from the side as well.

Having said that, save a worm's life and fly fish LOL !

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have always done it that way for most fishign i do actually helps not to hit the fish as it tries to bite and give good access to the bait for the fish without it being scared of the spinners all thought you can still catch fish that way but i prefer using leader after the spinner works awsome get way to do my lines up i love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya, they talked about this in another thread last year or so. Apparently, if you can get your hands on an injection needle you can inject air into a crawler and blow it up. That way it tends to float above the seeweed line and makes it easier for fish to find (or something along those lines).
I used to buy the bottle with an attached needle at wallymart. The bottle was just a plastic bottle of air that when squeezed would force air through the needle. Not sure whether you still can but it worked great for browns. Weight your line up about 1 ft from the hook and blow up the worm so it would float off the bottom. Brings back memories...not sure why I stopped

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
yup, that's a worm blower bottle. i still have mine. you do go through more crawlers this way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Curious question?... I heard plenty of injecting air into crawlers does it work well? certain area to blow up? and obviously but from anyones past exprerience has it saved alot of snags ?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
using the worm blower doesn`t help much with snags. it does let your worm float up from a weedy or mossy bottom, so the fish can easily see and grab it, and is more visible in dark conditions. i caught my bigggest brown trout on this, a 34" so i`m definately convinced it`s a good rig. it does take a bit of time, and you can go through a few more crawlers. when i use it, i will start with just one link/section from the far end of the crawler, away from the hook. slip the pointy thing in, then aim it towards the center of the worm and give it enough air to inflate at least 3 sections/segments of the crawler. the worm will lose air when hit, on the cast and on the retreave, so you often have to infalte again. however the crawler can only hold air once per segment, so after the first cast or hit, inflate the next few sections down from the first ones you inflated, again aiming the pointy thing towards the hook. this should let you inflate a few sections at a time, so you can get 2 or 3 casts per crawler using the blower. if you are using a heavy hook, you may find you have to inflate almost the whole worm. still do it in sections, just do the far end toward the hook, and then the hook end towards the tail, basicly inflating it all except the sections with the hook in it. if the worms start to rot, this just doesn`t work. also, don`t forget, the hook needs to be either snelled or just on a leader, so it has some line to float up off the bottom. i normally cast it lightly, trying to avoid smacking the water and deflating it early, then quickly give it 2 or 3 cranks to lay out the spinner properly, and then let it drop to the bottom. don`t give it any slack or you may miss the hit. a very flashy spinner helps with this. the fish come over to see what caused the flash, then see the worm floating up from the bottom, and Bang! fish on!

·
Registered
19 Posts
using the worm blower doesn`t help much with snags. it does let your worm float up from a weedy or mossy bottom, so the fish can easily see and grab it, and is more visible in dark conditions. i caught my bigggest brown trout on this, a 34" so i`m definately convinced it`s a good rig. it does take a bit of time, and you can go through a few more crawlers. when i use it, i will start with just one link/section from the far end of the crawler, away from the hook. slip the pointy thing in, then aim it towards the center of the worm and give it enough air to inflate at least 3 sections/segments of the crawler. the worm will lose air when hit, on the cast and on the retreave, so you often have to infalte again. however the crawler can only hold air once per segment, so after the first cast or hit, inflate the next few sections down from the first ones you inflated, again aiming the pointy thing towards the hook. this should let you inflate a few sections at a time, so you can get 2 or 3 casts per crawler using the blower. if you are using a heavy hook, you may find you have to inflate almost the whole worm. still do it in sections, just do the far end toward the hook, and then the hook end towards the tail, basicly inflating it all except the sections with the hook in it. if the worms start to rot, this just doesn`t work. also, don`t forget, the hook needs to be either snelled or just on a leader, so it has some line to float up off the bottom. i normally cast it lightly, trying to avoid smacking the water and deflating it early, then quickly give it 2 or 3 cranks to lay out the spinner properly, and then let it drop to the bottom. don`t give it any slack or you may miss the hit. a very flashy spinner helps with this. the fish come over to see what caused the flash, then see the worm floating up from the bottom, and Bang! fish on!
Well said. Guess Im not as experienced of a worm blower than I thought
Makes sense tho

·
Registered
227 Posts
ipop has amazing right to the point and detialed answers i jsut started here and made my questions answered with ease great info everytime

1 - 20 of 20 Posts