New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this not to create a stir but once again here we are looking at temps good in the am .. but water levels so low fish are boiling in the so called deep water pools.. just opinions on should they shut down or leave it be ?? Wilsons camp is using 4lbs leader so they can break a fish off after it is hooked. All i'm asking is a yes or no answer should they shut it down or keep it going ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fished on the weekend. The water was cool until late pm. Hooked and landed several fish and the all took off like gang-busters as soon as the hook (barbless) was removed. They were none the worse for wear. I don't think they are boiling now that the days are shorter and nights cooler.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree. The weather network is calling for 50+ mm on Friday and 10+ on Saturday.The redtape would and has taken too long to close and open the river. The environment Canada website says sunny? How can these two forecasts be so different? I would just stay away from the river and leave them alone until we get some water. Thats what the true sporting camps are doing right now. A friend of mine is turning sports away to be fair to the fish and angler.He is rebooking them. This nonsense about using 4lb test just tells me if you have to break them off for this reason it is too hard on the fish and should not be fishing, in my humble opinion.Is it really fair to hook a fish and break it almost immediately off. Not to mention it gets a nice piece of leader and jewelry for a few days until the lactic acid wears it out? Some outfitters are not honest (not directing towards wilsons).The ones that are honest get repeat buisness because they tell the sports the truth. Herb Wade was notorious for saying " the fishing is tough right now, I can't promise you a fish if you come but I can promise you good food and a good time". He was always booked.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i agree with freddy people should wait until we get more water....i didnt go since e started to have warm weather.. at ist i wasnt with catchand release of the sevogle and northwest and LSW but the water is to low and warm... i stated to fish striped bass up st-john and nova scotia and i landed oe last sunday 34 1/2 inches and i think that im gonna keep fishing that until the water comes cooler and higher... its a way stronger fish than a salmon also broke my rod but it was worth every penny... but f u go fishing striped bass i dont recommend bying a rod from wal-mart...lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
and to fish wih bs line just to break it off when u catch one is poy oe of the silliest thing ive heard so far....haha

·
Registered
129 Posts
and to fish with 4 lbs line just to break it off when u catch one is one of the silliest thing ive heard so far....haha
having trouble with my keybord

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and to fish wih bs line just to break it off when u catch one is poy oe of the silliest thing ive heard so far....haha
here it is verbatem.. Atlantic salmon fishing conditions for the Miramichi near McNamee for August 30th . The river is very low and unfortunately it is likely to warm up this week too . We have extreme heat coming Monday through Wed . There are plenty of salmon in the big holding pools and are taking well in the early morning hours . Please take caution this week , we urge anglers to limit the pressure on the fish by rotating anglers in the pools and using very light leaders ( 4 lb. ) so you can break the fish off after the hook-up . Bombers are working best. if you don't trust me check out kieth's site ..http://www.wilsonscamps.nb.ca/miramichi-river-report/

·
Registered
106 Posts
and to fish with 4 lbs line just to break it off when u catch one is one of the silliest thing ive heard so far....haha
having trouble with my keybord
I agree with Rej - if the water's so warm that you have break fish off immediately so as not to stress them - DON'T FISH. People seem to think that fish swimming around with a hook buried in their jaw and a leader trailing from their mouth is perfectly ok and that they're being conservationists by doing so - ridiculous. That hook and leader will be causing the fish stress over a period of time - not something they need when the water's 75 degrees +. They can cause infection and depending on how and where the fish is hooked can cause a great amount of stress if it affects or bothers their breathing movements.
Sorry for the rant - one of my pet peeves - fish with gear and leader heavy enough to do the job and land fish in an acceptable amount of time. I'm not talking about fish breaking off on their own accord - it can happen - but this "puposely breaking fish off" is stupid - if you can't land and cleanly remove the hook from a salmon before release - if that's honestly the best you can do - then show the salmon some respect and go find another hobby.

Of course, that's IMO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wilson also said earlier this summer that they cut off the hooks and watch the salmon rise for the fly - says his clients enjoy that....WHATEVER...I can imagine paying big $$ to do that....just my opinion!

·
Registered
100 Posts
We all have our own reasons for getting out on the river. Personally, I've only been out 20-30 % of the time I usually do during the summer. I started this year on the Kedgwick in June and low water levels and high water temps were already an issue then. Seems every time I got out since then it was the same issues. I spent more time this year visiting/finding pools that I plan on fishing in the future. Brought my camera along with me and jotted down notes to remember how to find these pools. I've been on vacation now for the last few weeks and only went fishing 1 time because I had already paid to go to Charlie's Rock with 3 other friends. Funny, I only realized this year how much time I actually put into salmon fishing... surprisingly this summer I am less tired, more awake, have more energy than in the past recent summers... even found time to do some work on the house, spend time with the wife, etc... all things I only did on the offseason. ;o) I couldn't wait until September to start some fall fishing, but I guess I will have to find another room to renovate when I am done the bedroom later this week... hehe But if the water conditions to get right, I will set the alarm clock to get me up on time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys. This is my situation. I live in Fred'ton NB and I am new to the area. I don't have a boat but I do want to go fishing. Can you recommend some good spots?

·
122 Posts
Don't know about other rivers in Newbie, but I was at the upper NW Miramichi fish barrier on Monday and the water temp was a nice 17.7 Celcius (about 64F). Mr. Jagoe, the watchman on site told us that the river had cooled off a bit from the shorter days and cooler nights, and the fish looked none the worse for wear, very active and digging out redds and all. Still he told us that this was a very precarious time and they were trying to induce as less stress as possible to the fish coming thru...

Thight lines,

·
Registered
100 Posts
According to the Miramichi River Environmental Assessment Committee's real-time water quality monitoring, water temperatures would have reached near 81 degrees yesterday. With today's forcast of 34 degrees Celcius and Thurday's of 32, you wonder if the water temps will hit 90 degrees by Thursday afternoon... just hope we get the soaking that is in the forcast for Friday and Saturday. I will split my shorts if DFO closes down sections of the River on Saturday once they notice the water temps are high... ;o)

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah..cutting the hook off to see them rise for it is still a better way to fish then break off your line right after it hooks... alot less stress on the fish... and every time i go i rise alot of fish and once in a while ill hook one but i still enjoy seeing them go for my fly... makes your heart beat race every time
i tagged 4 grilse this year and it was before the warm weather.... ever since its warm i go bass fishing

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah..cutting the hook off to see them rise for it is still a better way to fish then break off your line right after it hooks... alot less stress on the fish... and every time i go i rise alot of fish and once in a while ill hook one but i still enjoy seeing them go for my fly... makes your heart beat race every time
i tagged 4 grilse this year and it was before the warm weather.... ever since its warm i go bass fishing
Read my previous quote. I don't hold much in Wilsons posts.Nice to hear others don't as well.Just tend for the most part to totally disagree. By the way Peter Dube has a cool book out and it explains the crock surrounding the replacement of the felt soles. It does a good job shedding light on the private camps and ASF and corporations. Really interesting point of views. Free online. Until it warms up I agree with Paul; work to be done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts