New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Salmon fishing enthusiasts,

I am going to upgrade my reel next season, and I need some advice. I am looking to spend a couple bucks, as I want something relatively top of the line.

I have a 9ft rod.

I want something that works great and looks good too.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well I just love talking reels so here goes lol; Do you like click pawl or disc drag reels? Loud or quiet reels? In the classic click pawl (loud) reel category there are a number of excellent choices in the Hardy line of reels such as the new Marquis Salmon reels of which I have the #1 size for 8 to 10wt lines. These are aprox. $300.00 but I got mine new on ebay for $189.00.

In the disc drag category some of my favorites would be the Orvis models such as the Battenkill or Access mid arbour reels. My son has a Sage 1880 ($140.00) which is a solid reel with a sealed graphite drag.

I love to shop ebay and if you save a search on there you can get a great deal on just about any reel you want if you have the winter to shop for one. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see a used Hardy St. John in Halifax posted on e-bay that has not had a bid put in yet. If I needed a third St. John I would definately be bidding on it. It is the one with both dogs on the same side of the reel thus both springs are controlled by the same screw. It looks to be in pristeen condition in the pictures! The other reel that interests me is the Orvis Access Mid Arbour model.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I see a used Hardy St. John in Halifax posted on e-bay that has not had a bid put in yet. If I needed a third St. John I would definately be bidding on it. It is the one with both dogs on the same side of the reel thus both springs are controlled by the same screw. It looks to be in pristeen condition in the pictures! The other reel that interests me is the Orvis Access Mid Arbour model.
Gotta love those Hardy St. Johns! Here's one my father used for years and still operates as smooth as butter;

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wannafish did you notice the different drag configuration between yours and the one on e bay? Both of mine are the same as the one for sale not like yours!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wannafish did you notice the different drag configuration between yours and the one on e bay? Both of mine are the same as the one for sale not like yours!!
I just looked it up; it's got the same set up as my Marquis reels. I think it's quite a bit newer model than mine, maybe in the 80's. This is why I have to stay off ebay lol; I see these great deals and have a hard time not throwing in a bid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
http://www.stillwate...ls/25868/0/3648

I have one of these reels and I am a big fan of it. Extremely light with an almost silent disc drag fully enclosed in case you wanna try out some salt fishing. These are very popular around the great lakes for steel head fishing. Also a very good deal at this outfitter as you get your pick of fly line. As for myself it is probably the only reel I would buy today and you get free fly line and free shipping.

Just reread the op and realized they were looking a little more high end so maybe this reel would do it. These all have lifetime warranties and I have shown my FWX to Syd and he is thinking about getting some Nautilus reels in.
http://www.stillwaterflyshop.com/estore/details/24207/0/3648

1 - 8 of 8 Posts