New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've just recently moved to NB and I'm trying to find some good fishing spots or even someone to go fishing with. I live in Oromocto and from what I've seen on the forum French lake near Oromocto is a decent place for pickerel and bass the only problem is when I search French Lake on google its telling me French Lake is on the land in between to lakes? I don't know which one is French Lake. Does anyone know a place in Fredericton I could pick up a good map of local lakes, rivers, and streams?

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not far from you is Fredericton Outfitters, they have a web site. Take a drive over and chat in person. I would guess that you will find them helpful and knowledgeable about your area.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pick up a map book called "backroads of NB" at almost any convience store or service station. It has pretty good maps of all NB, lakes and rivers, the kinds of fish in them,hiking trails and canoe routes. A must for a new resident

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you do a search for Waterville, NB or Sunpoke Lake then it will take you to the general area of the French Lake on the Oromocto River. You can then backtrack and find your way there. An easy place to launch from is the Sunbury-Oromocto campground, though they charge a $5 fee for day access to their park.

Casey Howards advice about the backroad map is great. An excellent book, and reasonably priced. It will give you an idea of what fish are where - though sometimes I think they are a bit generous.

You can also go into the Service New Brunswick office in Fredericton (and presumably elsewhere) and buy maps of the Saint John River system. They are large and expensive (4 different sets of maps from Mactaquac down to the river mouth at $20-25 each) but they give you depth etc. They do include the lakes around Grand Lake, but unfortunately don't go up the Oromocto to the French and Sunpoke Lakes area. Still, I have found them quite useful.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oops, I misunderstood your intitial problem. The French Lake that Googlebrings up is the community of French Lake. It lies just south of French Lake and just east of Sunpoke Lake. If you zoom in on the individual lakes in Google Maps it does label them for you when you get closer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, I never got a e-mail saying I had reply's. I was starting to think no one used the site. Good thing I checked. Anyways thanks for the replys. Im going to pick up that map tomorrow it sounds perfect for what I need. Im thinking that I will check out French Lake Oromocto on Saturday if the weather is okay. I just hope I can find the boat launch site. I will do a search on the one suggested. If anyone wants to do some fishing with me just send me a message. Im new to the area so Im looking for some fishing and hunting buddies.

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tubesteak101... see the link below. It is a map I created for the NB Paddler's Fishing Derby that gives direction to the park where we launched from.

http://xkfx.ca/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Direction-Map---PFD.4760021.jpg

There is another launch site at the bridge near sunpoke lake.

While you are at it, you could check out this map of the lake. It was another I created for the Derby, and gave a copy to all of the participants. It lists hot spots that I am aware of, though I only guarantee it for the price you pay me for it.

http://xkfx.ca/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/French-Lake-Hot-Spotsl.4261208.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tubesteak101... see the link below. It is a map I created for the NB Paddler's Fishing Derby that gives direction to the park where we launched from.

http://xkfx.ca/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Direction-Map---PFD.4760021.jpg

There is another launch site at the bridge near sunpoke lake.

While you are at it, you could check out this map of the lake. It was another I created for the Derby, and gave a copy to all of the participants. It lists hot spots that I am aware of, though I only guarantee it for the price you pay me for it.

http://xkfx.ca/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/French-Lake-Hot-Spotsl.4261208.jpg
Sweet! Thanks. I will be there tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts