New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've been following the forums for a little while now for tips and fishing spots and its really been helpful so I decided to join up and start posting here,

I was fishing some brooks and streams down the back way between Gagetown and Westfield, and we'd been told that the sea run would be through one of the brooks there, so we tried it out the other day and my girlfriend on her first cast pulled out a big fat brookie I'm guessing sea run, but other than that in 4 hours of fishing I only caught an 11 incher brookie so I'm wondering is it still early for the sea run? OR has the sea run been through really early this year and I just hit a stragler?

I've been wanting to hit the sea run for the last few years now but never have gotten out early enough, After trying a few spots trying to find them I finally hit a good stream but only get one out of it and that was on the 4th, I hear they usually don't start until about mid month but that can change. So have they been through already? Should I try the Nashwaak and some of her streams? I just wanna hook into some big ole sea runs.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Yes and no, depending on where you're fishing apparently. Some are saying that they've hit the run of sea trout way up the Kennebecasis, but then I'm hearing things like they're catching a couple here and there. That's not the sea run. When you cross blinds with the sea run, you're getting one after another, and everybody hits their limit in an hour or less. I also heard from a fella who said some kids were crossing the ford upriver from the Deep Hole on the Hammond with their 4-wheelers, and in doing so washed up a bunch of fish on shore that were apparently sea trout, but admitted they were not sure what they were. They then proceeded to say they watched as a big school of them were going up river. I highly doubt they were the run of sea run trout there that early. Must have been a school of suckers. You would get the early bird here and there, but I've never hit the sea run there until mid to late May, and one year it was early June.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We just floated dwon from Bloomfield to Norton yesterday and not 1 sea trout, asked people along the shore and they said they got 15 or so a few days in a row end of last week and nobody yesterday had any, we got two strippers and a bunch of perch, Gasperua are up now as well, Im guessing it has ended from what Ive heard, I never manage to catch it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure what to think either. I have been fishing the Nashwaak on a daily basis for weeks now. Last Friday (may 4th) was the first day that things really started coming to life. I happened across a 12.5 incher (which I certainly believe was sea/river run), and several others got a few 10'' fish that same day and the next morning. Ever since then it's been very slow going.. the odd 8'' trout here and there if you are lucky. I think it passed.. but that's just my opinion. I hope I'm wrong!
One fisherman I spoke with on Saturday said his brother landed a 17'' trout. Not sure if this was true or just gross exaggeration.
Good luck guys!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also have been out on a daily basis in the Salisbury area, and there as well people are only catching one here and there. A buddy of ming caught one 13.5 " but nothing after that. Season seems to be all screwed up with all the funky weather. Hope it will be better soon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Head up river next week and try the pools. The trout will be heading up quickly after this 4 days of rain we are getting. Big fish move in high water and boogy up as far as they can go. Don't be surprised if there are a few bright salmon caught on the Miramichi by May 20th.

I think some large trout went up 2 weeks ago. Heard reports of some large trout up to 22 inches long caught on the Peti. Reports also of some large trout caught in the Miramichi area. A few friends of mine caught trout up to 5 pounds down in the tidal area and I heard that someone caught a 6 pounder in the Renous. People think these are black trout but in fact these are the same trout that spawned last fall and headed down river to spend the winter and feed. Then they head back up river in May.

Reports of trout up to 3 pounds caught above Quarryville on the Southest Miramichi.

·
2,366 Posts
Salmon Fever's right. The big ones always come up first and early. The big run should start anytime now. I also figure after this rain it should be good, like maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think they are already done. If we dont get any by the end of this weekend then we missed it. Do they normally come up before the gaspurea or after?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Already bright salmon caught and released so get out fishing whenever you can. Probably gonna be more trout reports after today is over

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i`m hoping they arrive in size and numbers after this rain. i was actually into a number of them 2 weeks ago but there was no size. this was just after the last 100mm of rain, so i have my finges crossed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am expecting to see some nice run trout within the week,with this raise of water and a warming trend coming,
the trout should definitely be on the move. The gaspereau have been in Salmon River for over a week now and I just got a report
of a few trout being caught before this big rain. Be ready, because they can move through quite quickly!

·
Registered
184 Posts
what would be a good fly to use for sea trout now. would you use a may fly or or a streamer?
Unless I could actually see mayflies hatching and trout feeding on them, I would probably use some sort of nymph or streamer. On a brook that I did not know really well I would probably walk along and toss in a wooly bugger in size 8 or 10. I like them in black or olive. Second choice would be the Muddler Minnow in roughly the same sizes. If there was a lot of choppy water around boulders, fallen trees etc I would try a large (12 or 14) generic attractor style dry fly. I like the yellow humpy that is my avatar pic or any beetle pattern, especially the foam versions.

·
2,366 Posts
The Gaspaerau are already up river. neted a bunch of them up round the hammond
Yeah, you would've netted them around the lower Hammond, not the upper. I'm guessing you would have found them in the general vacinity of the CNR train bridge, and MAYBE as far as the Hammond River Lodge, but no further, right?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah, you would've netted them around the lower Hammond, not the upper. I'm guessing you would have found them in the general vacinity of the CNR train bridge, and MAYBE as far as the Hammond River Lodge, but no further, right?
Nope, right round quispam actually, so where should that put the sea trout? Again though Im not sure what constitues a sea trout, ive had some guys show me a trout and say it was a sea trout, but to me it was clearly a brook trout, nice one, like 14 inches, but Brook trout the same. I caught two exactly like he showed me and i considered them both brook trout, Id like to actually catch this run pull a few in and be able to say...NOW THATS A SEA TROUT! lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts