New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
As soon as the sea run starts get out the fly rod. You may have to start with a sink tip line and use streamers to get the fly close to the bottom, which is where you'll get most of the action. If you have to you can even put a couple of small split shot on the tippet, but it does make it far harder to cast, that's why I prefer the sink tip line. Don't be afraid to use big streamers, the sea runs love them.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
As soon as the sea run starts get out the fly rod. You may have to start with a sink tip line and use streamers to get the fly close to the bottom, which is where you'll get most of the action. If you have to you can even put a couple of small split shot on the tippet, but it does make it far harder to cast, that's why I prefer the sink tip line. Don't be afraid to use big streamers, the sea runs love them.
Be careful with using the weights on fly line, here is what it says on page 3 of the 2010 rules.

Fly Fishing
• To cast upon the water and retrieve in the usual and ordinary manner an unbaited, unweighted artificial fly attached to a line to which no weight has been added. Trolling with artificial flies is permitted.

Just an FYI

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jim's right you have to be careful where you add weight to your fly line. Don't do so in any salmon designated waters or you're in for trouble. Anywhere where you can use hardware to fish you're okay.

The trout run depends on the weather, but usually happens in May. They can come in waves so you can be there one minute not catching a thing and 10 minutes later you've got a pool full. I've hit the run here in Fredericton as early as May 4th and as late as June 10th. There isn't one single run, more of a bunch of waves.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I start catching searun brookies on the Hammond the first week of May with buck bugs.

·
2,366 Posts
@Brandan

Not true. What you MAY have heard, however, is that trout don't bite the "dry fly" until later in the season, and that's true. They don't usually hit dries until actual flies are landing on the water (i.e.-mosquitos, millers, dragon flies, bees, etc), but you can start using May flies, well, in May, for example. But you can start using flies like streamers on opening day, if you like using them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Brandan

Not true. What you MAY have heard, however, is that trout don't bite the "dry fly" until later in the season, and that's true. They don't usually hit dries until actual flies are landing on the water (i.e.-mosquitos, millers, dragon flies, bees, etc), but you can start using May flies, well, in May, for example. But you can start using flies like streamers on opening day, if you like using them.
Whould wet flys work such as a wet royal wulff. Could you name me some streamers for brook trout.
Thanks

·
2,366 Posts
Mickey Finns, Muddler Minnows, and somebody last year mentionned BWO (I think stand for "blue wing olive"). Personally, I wait for first week of May and start throwing buck bugs (looks like a green machine, except they are natural deer hair color, with maybe a red band in the middle and a grizzly hackle). I fish them so that they sink about 4 inches from the surface, and twitch them in the strip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts